shape
carat
color
clarity

all the same questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rjb25

Rough_Rock
I''ve scanned most of the forum seeking answers to my questions, but for some reason, it gives me more confidence to have my specific questions answered. I know...a little quirky...moving on.

I''m going to be purchasing an engagement ring. After reading nearly every online jewelers "the four c''s" section, I thought I decided on exactly what was the best diamond for my money......until I found this website. For some reason, most jewelers don''t stress the importance of cut. After reading all of the explanations on this site, it makes perfect sense to me. So here goes the question and I know its been asked before...humor me please :)

I was settled on a 1ct princess cut, color F, clarity vs1, with a cut of "vg". This put me in the $4500-$6000 range. If I upgrade to an ideal cut, or super ideal cut, or fancy-shmancy ideal cut I''ll need to change some of the other attributes to keep within my budget. So the question is what would the non-beginners of this board recommend as a starting point.

Some addtional information: the stone will be placed in a platinum ring with the following description

Number of Diamonds: 6 baguette
Carat Weight: 0.75
Diamond Color: Near Colorless
Diamond Clarity: VS
Setting Type: Channel Set

This link is a union diamond pic of what I''m buying.

http://www.uniondiamond.com/jewelry/jewelry.php?action_type_id=31&pic_name=PR_JEA1076P.jpg&width=540&height=610&item_id=967&curr_shape_symbol=PR

One thought was that if the baguettes are "near-colorless".....will my F be obviously different? I also read about "eye-clear si1"....but then read that it is somewhat subjective what eye clear really is. Whats the lowest grade of clarity I go and be confident she''s not going to see inclusions?

Thank you for any and all help. Sorry to repeat the same old questions but it seems at least some of you love talking about these things so hopefully you don''t mind too much :)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you drop the color a little bit that will quickly drop the price. That way you can afford to go up in cut. Dropping clarity doesn''t seem to drop the price as much, in proportion. As far as how low to go in color each person here on PS has their own opinion.

You have to be happy with what you get. How color sensitive is the person who will wear it? Can you go look at diamonds in stores that are GIA graded just to figure out what colors you like? I say GIA graded because then you know that you are looking at an F and comparing it to an I.

Some/many B&M stores get certs from companies that are more color tolerant so their store I might be more like a GIA K. So if you''re going to buy a GIA stone look at GIA stones that are F through J to see what pleases you.

Once you know what colors you like you can move on to the clarity and weight.

HTH

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi rj,

If I were you, to get the most bang for your buck, I would go down in color, to a G, possibly H. Claritywise, you could definitely consider an SI1, each stone has to be evaluated independantly. There are totally eyeclean SI1''s, as in you can''t see anything from any distance at any angle.

I would get the best cut. Here''s an example of what you could get, and it looks like it could definitely be eyeclean, but again, you would need to ask them. They''re a great company, will be totally honest with you, and I have bought from them.

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-47404.htm#

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 12:38:56 PM
Author: Ellen
Hi rj,

If I were you, to get the most bang for your buck, I would go down in color, to a G, possibly H. Claritywise, you could definitely consider an SI1, each stone has to be evaluated independantly. There are totally eyeclean SI1''s, as in you can''t see anything from any distance at any angle.

I would get the best cut. Here''s an example of what you could get, and it looks like it could definitely be eyeclean, but again, you would need to ask them. They''re a great company, will be totally honest with you, and I have bought from them.

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-47404.htm#
Nice find, Ellen. I ditto everything she said, and I love that stone she picked.

shay

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Shay, I thought it looked pretty snazzy myself.

rjb25

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice. I think we will visit a retailer to see first hand what the differences actually look like. Pretty sure I''ll be purchasing online though, and your link looks like a great place to start. Thanks!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome, and I think looking at some in person first is a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results