shape
carat
color
clarity

All suggestions will help on a 5k ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snowbird3599

Rough_Rock
hi everyone, any suggestions will be helpful
I been looking for a ring for 3-4 weeks now. went to some local stores Jared and Shane Co.
orig. budget was 3000 but after reading the forums, visit the store and I really want a 1ct. round so the budget now its around 5000. The following link is what I had my mind on, but after reading the board, costco doesnt really give me any detail on the diamond itself so I had some doubts.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11284344&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|108|55926|55928&N=4017687&Mo=33&pos=0&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=55928&Ns=P_Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC15128-Cat55926&topnav=

As you know it only give me the 3Cs. budget is somewhat flexible since I dont mind go over for a good ring. also the first reason I choose Costco is because if she doesnt like it I can always exchange it. Can''t beat the 1yr return policy.

P.S. getting ready to propose to my high school sweetheart and been together for almost 9yrs now.
1.gif

snowbird3599

Rough_Rock
Thanks neatfreak for your link

so do you feel that the SI 1 rating is not gonna affect the diamond''s reflection? There''s one stone I saw in person at the local store that I can see the imperfection just by the naked eye.

let me try the link again
Costco''s Ring

its costco''s item #295465
# Metal: 950 Platinum
# Diamond Shape: Round Brilliant
# Diamond Weight: 1.00 ct
# Diamond Clarity: Very Slightly Included (VS2)
# Diamond Color: Near Colorless ( I )
# Ring Size: 7 - Sizeable to any size (Costco does not provide this service)
$5,299

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to be aiming for the best cut quality you can get for your money. You could get a diamond with no inclusions, but if the cut isn''t great then your diamond just won''t have the sparkle you are looking for.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NF and Maisie are right, it is cut which will give a diamond its beauty, so very important to concentrate on that. As for SI clarity, there are some out there which are eyeclean especially if GIA or AGS graded, so you can definitely keep that clarity grade as an option if you are buying online from a trusted vendor.

snowbird3599

Rough_Rock
Searched more H&A on both goodoldgold.com and www.jamesallen.com

The more I learn from this site, the more picky I am now.
Still looking for the perfect stone, but I KNOW its gonna be way over budget.

Thanks Lorelei for your suggestion. I am looking more to the cut now than the clarity.

Guess costco''s ring is not gonna cut it.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 7:53:00 PM
Author: snowbird3599
Searched more H&A on both goodoldgold.com and www.jamesallen.com

The more I learn from this site, the more picky I am now.
Still looking for the perfect stone, but I KNOW its gonna be way over budget.

Thanks Lorelei for your suggestion. I am looking more to the cut now than the clarity.

Guess costco''s ring is not gonna cut it.
I am so glad you have become picky! It means you will end up with a stunning diamond!

Have you considered buying a stone within your budget now from a vendor who has an upgrade policy? I started off with a .50ct diamond and ended up with a carat. You can trade your diamond in towards a bigger one later on, usually for the amount you paid for it originally.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 3:13:34 PM
Author: Maisie
You need to be aiming for the best cut quality you can get for your money. You could get a diamond with no inclusions, but if the cut isn''t great then your diamond just won''t have the sparkle you are looking for.
yep yep, agreed with Maisie,, ooh and i like neatfreaks diamond link

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Costco actually has some very nice diamonds, and I almost got my ring there. My mom has 2 very nice 3-stone rings from Costco that sparkle like crazy. But there are two problems:

1) They don't give any information about cut - so I wouldn't buy online; I'd only buy after seeing the diamond in person at the Costco store. However, they have a fantastic return policy, so buying online from them isn't a huge risk.

2) Their diamonds are mostly IGI certed, and IGI tends to be soft on color and clarity. Therefore, the I/VS2 that you think you're getting may actually turn out to be the equivalent of a GIA K/SI2. Personally I would rather go for a GIA or AGS cert to know exactly what I'm getting.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you considered maybe even a J? i have a sweet spot for a J and i''m sure it will face up white in your platinum setting or white gold.

snowbird3599

Rough_Rock
Maisie, Thanks for the suggestion, I got a diamond necklace last year for her and its a .5ct center diamond, so I think I need to step it up since its gonna be the most important ring I gonna buy for her.

jstarfireb, I love the costco''s return policy too, I will have no problem going to the store and pick one up right away but as you mentioned, they have no clue on the cut quality. I saw a ring at the local store here, but without the H&A viewer and equip. I dont really know what I am getting. Any tip on looking at one?

Currently have my heart set on James Allen anyone ever deal with them before? are they a trusted vendor? Like I said, all suggestion will help.

PS is really a great site
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 11:49:33 AM
Maisie, Thanks for the suggestion, I got a diamond necklace last year for her and its a .5ct center diamond, so I think I need to step it up since its gonna be the most important ring I gonna buy for her.

jstarfireb, I love the costco''s return policy too, I will have no problem going to the store and pick one up right away but as you mentioned, they have no clue on the cut quality. I saw a ring at the local store here, but without the H&A viewer and equip. I dont really know what I am getting. Any tip on looking at one?

Currently have my heart set on James Allen anyone ever deal with them before? are they a trusted vendor? Like I said, all suggestion will help.

1.gif

JA is a fine vendor, but not everything they carry is a winner so just check it with us first.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 11:53:40 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 3/9/2009 11:49:33 AM

1.gif

JA is a fine vendor, but not everything they carry is a winner so just check it with us first.
Ditto

snowbird3599

Rough_Rock
Hey neatfreak and Lorelei
35.gif
thanks for the quick reply.

Please click on the Link Here This is what I am looking at, feel free to let me know. I have requested the idealscope images and it will take about 48 hrs I guess.

I will post the image once they send it to me.

snowbird3599

Rough_Rock
The attached is the Idealscope of the diamond. I have checked with them and the stone is eye clean.
what you guys think ?

B201-334id.jpg

snowbird3599

Rough_Rock
Just got the AGS report, what worries me is that on the report it does not show the 2 major "scratch" that''s on the face of the diamond when u look at the IS image or picture of the diamond. The sales rep. told me its eye clean but should I worry about it? Is the AGS report more focus on the cut than the detail info on the diamond? All input is appreciated. Gotta just decide on the setting and my quest will be complete
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, that link says the diamond is no longer available, did you buy it or is it on hold for you?

I just stopped by because my ring was under 5k (but to be fair, the diamond is JUST shy of 1 ct, it''s like .98, but everyone says it looks like more than 1ct because of the crazy sparkle and shine) Good luck with the hunt! She''ll be thrilled!

snowbird3599

Rough_Rock
MakingTheGrade. Yes the diamond is on hold for me. I am just awaits people''s input on what they think so I can make a final decision. Everyone is been so helpful, a priceless site. For the setting, I am just gonna go with a basic solitaire platinum and have my GF choose a new setting after my proposal.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 12:19:22 PM
MakingTheGrade. Yes the diamond is on hold for me. I am just awaits people''s input on what they think so I can make a final decision. Everyone is been so helpful, a priceless site. For the setting, I am just gonna go with a basic solitaire platinum and have my GF choose a new setting after my proposal.
If it''s a temporary solitaire setting, you might consider going with white gold. It will be less expensive than platinum. Just a thought.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 12:49:52 PM
Author: mscushion

Date: 3/10/2009 12:19:22 PM
If it''s a temporary solitaire setting, you might consider going with white gold. It will be less expensive than platinum. Just a thought.
Thought that too... it''ll still look beautiful and stunning.

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Looks like a great diamond with great proportions. I''ve had a good experience with James Allen.

You may want to ask them exactly how they define "eyeclean" if you''re concerned about inclusions though -- eg, "eyeclean" from 6", 12", etc.?

snowbird3599

Rough_Rock
mscushion and dannyandterry. I want the platinum so it will sparkle when I propose, also after check with JA, they will let me exchange the setting when I send it back to resize the ring. Thanks for the common on the diamond. I am thinking about making it final tomorrow.

still wish for Lorelei and neatfreak''s advise, they are very helpful on this board.

Should I choose a smaller ring, 2mm wide so the diamond will appear bigger? or 2.5 wont matter?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 4:45:35 AM
mscushion and dannyandterry. I want the platinum so it will sparkle when I propose, also after check with JA, they will let me exchange the setting when I send it back to resize the ring. Thanks for the common on the diamond. I am thinking about making it final tomorrow.

still wish for Lorelei and neatfreak's advise, they are very helpful on this board.

Should I choose a smaller ring, 2mm wide so the diamond will appear bigger? or 2.5 wont matter?
I'm here, thank you for your very kind words!
35.gif

The diamond you have on hold from JA looks great! 2 or 2.5mm band will be fine and will help the diamond pop!

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 4:45:35 AM

still wish for Lorelei and neatfreak''s advise, they are very helpful on this board.

I think white gold should sparkle just as much as platinum. If this is just a temporary setting anyhow, I would save the $$ and go with white gold. As I understand it, the main drawback of white gold is that it yellows over the long term, but short term it will sparkle just as much.

snowbird3599

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei and RBsearch

Made the decision and ordered just now. Will use bank wire to save the additional 1.5%, headed to the bank in the afternoon. Please keep leaving suggestion on the diamond.

Thanks all, will post pic of the ring after I propose.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results