shape
carat
color
clarity

ALL small & mighty

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
okay, I know laundry soap is really boring, but this is important. where to start? I could actually go on and on about this b/c I feel strongly about it, but I will try to be concise.

there are 3 arguments (that I know of) for reducing oil consumption (no particular order):
1) global warming/greenhouse emission theory
2) peak oil theory
3) geo-political power concerns (i.e. funding certain middle-eastern and south american nations and groups with interests that differ from those of the U.S. and other politically and socially more progressive nations)

Sometimes these issues are part of the public debate, especially global warming (unfortunately more often the pub debate centers around the percieved problem of high oil price). But they are always discussed individually, and never together. The problem with this is that each, on it''s own, will not convince everyone to curb thier oil consumption. My perspective is that I have NO IDEA if greenhouse gasses are contributing to global warming, and I can''t really say whether we are going to run out of oil. But I do know that both are possible. And I also know that, taken together, the probability that at least one of those theories is correct is equal to the probability of the 1st + the probability of the 2nd - the prob that both theories are correct. (I don''t think it''s possible to place a # on the prob of either, but my point is that these theories are more alarming as a team than if each existed on its own.)

My personal concern is primarily focused on the 3rd issue more so than 1 or 2, but that is irrelevant. The point is that even if your not concerned about global warming, there are other reasons to use less oil, and taken all together I think they are pretty convincing.

What does this have to do w/ laundry soap? I''ve been buying "ALL small & mighty 3x concentrated detergent" lately b/c I try to buy stuff with less volume and weight if possible (more units per truck = less oil per unit). It works great and it''s easier to lug out to my car, into the house, etc. I highly recommend it. Comes in regular and dye/perfume free.

This soap is an interesting development. It''s a reflection of higher oil prices--Unilever and its retailers (target, etc) can make same profit w/out increasing prices as oil prices rise if shipping costs are reduced. This and other similar efforts/reactions, on both an individual and corporate level, is working--I just read today that oil consumption is down .6% worldwide.

So, if you''ve read this I thank you and hope you''ll try this soap and other low volume/low weight consumer goods. I wanted to post this on PS b/c I think the demographics here largely overlap w/ the huge group of americans who are not prompted to change behavior by higher oil price itself. luckily I am part of that group, but b/c there are so many wealthy persons in the US, I just don''t think that the market itself is enough.

23.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hadn''t heard about this. I think it''s a great idea and when my laundry soap runs out I''m going to check it out.
emthup.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I HAVE wanted to try Target''s Method detergent....
9.gif
Thanks, nejarb, for giving me a cold hard dose of reality!

I am concerned with the state of our environment worldwide. I''m also concerned about farming, and the effect it has on the state of our environment...which is one of the reasons I choose to be a vegetarian/(mainly vegan when possible). Nejarb, have you ever looked into the affects of farming and human meat/milk consumption on our environment? It''s pretty interesting as well...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well said, nejarb!

trying to walk gently on this planet so that others may walk at all is a nice way to live one's life.

re the detergent: how is it with frontload washers? is it septic system safe?

movie zombie

eta: amazon has it and it appears it is septic safe HOWEVER, and for me this is a big however, it does not say it is EDTA free which my current 'next to godliness' detergent i get at trader joe's lists as one of the many ingredients it does not contain. i note that this All small and mighty has scents and i'm just too allergic to chemicals to give it a try. i still love your post and giving me the opportunity to check out something new.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Wow nejarb, you''ve really given laundry soap a lot of thought...Good for you!!!
36.gif
I have been a Tide junkie for my entire life due to my tendency to break out in a head to toe rash if I change soaps. My mom tried All Sm & Mty, but, couldn''t use it I *think* because of her HE washer. She gave it to me and I gave it a try...No rash, clothes aren''t faded, it''s not so HEAVY to lug to my upstairs laundry room, less trash (good thing for a family of 5) and it''s cheappppppppp...like $4 for 32 loads. I love the stuff!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
how does it smell?
even a lot of perfume free soaps have an oder that sets my asthma off or makes me itch.
Im running out of amway soap that iv used for 30 years.
They stopped making it 15 years ago and I have to switch.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been using it for a few months now and love it. It love the idea of using less.... You know that saying, less is more??
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2007 10:04:52 PM
Author: strmrdr
how does it smell?

even a lot of perfume free soaps have an oder that sets my asthma off or makes me itch.

You had 15 years worth of laundry detergent stored up?

Storm, are you SURE you''re not my husband masquarading as someone else on this board?!?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 10:21:56 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 1/19/2007 10:04:52 PM
Author: strmrdr
how does it smell?

You had 15 years worth of laundry detergent stored up?

Storm, are you SURE you''re not my husband masquarading as someone else on this board?!?
it came in 20 pound pails and have about 1 pound left.
I only do one load a week for the last 6 years and maybe 3 a week before that.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
correction: ww oil consumption down .6% in developed nations. Still on a rise overall, but the rate is lower.

monarch: yes, actually when I was little I went to venice beach in LA w/ my dad and these hippies that are always (prob still) out there bombarded us with presentations about just that--about how alot of beef cattle is raised in south america on deforested land in tropical areas, and other ecological problems. My mom has always been a vegetarian, and so we sort of were too, but we looked into it more after that and although these crazy hippies seemed a little fanatical, they were pretty much right on.

kaleigh: you brought up a good point that I forgot to mention as I was trying to be concise. Detergent is packaged in plastic, another petroleum product. I know alot of people have access to recycling programs and centers, but I''m in Houston, which is still very backwoods in that area.

MZ: I don''t know about EDTA, but those bio-friendly detergents appear to come in smaller packages as well. I always wondered if they were more concentrated than something like Tide. probably so. Another thing is that you can use less detergent than the directions say and your clothes are still going to get plenty clean. Unless you''re rolling around in mud with pigs or something.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2007 11:47:04 AM
Author: nejarb
correction: ww oil consumption down .6% in developed nations. Still on a rise overall, but the rate is lower.

monarch: yes, actually when I was little I went to venice beach in LA w/ my dad and these hippies that are always (prob still) out there bombarded us with presentations about just that--about how alot of beef cattle is raised in south america on deforested land in tropical areas, and other ecological problems. My mom has always been a vegetarian, and so we sort of were too, but we looked into it more after that and although these crazy hippies seemed a little fanatical, they were pretty much right on.

kaleigh: you brought up a good point that I forgot to mention as I was trying to be concise. Detergent is packaged in plastic, another petroleum product. I know alot of people have access to recycling programs and centers, but I''m in Houston, which is still very backwoods in that area.

MZ: I don''t know about EDTA, but those bio-friendly detergents appear to come in smaller packages as well. I always wondered if they were more concentrated than something like Tide. probably so. Another thing is that you can use less detergent than the directions say and your clothes are still going to get plenty clean. Unless you''re rolling around in mud with pigs or something.
Yeah, it''s weird because the rationale seems completely nonsensical (if that''s a word, lol) at first, but when you think about it, you start to go "wow, maybe if we went back and did things all over again knowing what we know now..."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results