shape
carat
color
clarity

All Lap Top users..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
PLease help me out, I am trying to buy a lap top that is easy to use, has no problems and is easy to travel with.Also looking not to pay too much.About 80 gig hard drive would be fine.Any recommendation is apprecieated.It would be my 1st lap top.Thanks
24.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a big fan of both the MacBook and the MacBook Pro (which I own). Both are under 7 lbs. (very important for travel). As far as PC's, my brother loves the IBM ThinkPad (also very light and portable).

I would NOT recommend Alienware laptops. I used to own one. They are known for their desktop computers and have tried (for the most part) to carry over the same hardware (processor, video card, etc.) into their laptop lines, and call them "desktop replacement" computers. They are heavy and bulky and are so "high performance" that they overheat their teeny outer cases.

Happy hunting! New gadgets are so exciting!!!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
If you want ease of use, portability, and reliable, you want a Mac laptop. I love my iBook! I spilled tea on it the other day and only had to replace the keyboard, which only cost me $57. It would have killed a PC laptop. Look everyone... I can type Ws now!!!

On the other hand, if you want cheap, you need to look at PC laptops. There are many options under $1k, but there is usually a trade-off in performance. Decide what features you must have, how much you''re willing to pay, how long it needs to last, then check out CNet for reviews. I spent a month shopping for one a couple of years ago but for what I wanted, and I work with PCs ALL DAY, I couldn''t do any better than an iBook. They don''t make it any longer, but the new models are better. And if you live anywhere near an Apple Store, the Genius Bar there is a tremendous resource you won''t find in any PC model.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for that.Actually that is what I was considering Mac Lap top middle model 80 gig Hard drive.What else should I purchase with it? Case for sure anything else? Also how was/ is your experience getting help from them? it comes with 90 days telephone support wondering if anyone used it and was it helpful? thanks again

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry , can you plese let me know? What is the genius bar?

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
I have a Sony and I love it. I previously owned a Dell and I didn''t like it as much. One of the big things I like about it is its built in memory stick reader. I can just slip in the card from my camera and its ready to go, no cords or adapters. If you plan to travel with it I would recomend getting a long life battery. Also, be sure to get a cd or dvd burner on it. (I know that sounds silly but my Dell did not have one so there was not an easy way to transfer files) Good Luck in your search
1.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks a lot.Do you know how long battery would last on average?Say if I want to watch DVD while travelling would it last long enough?
33.gif

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
I think my regular one was 1.5 hours and this one is 3 or more. It really depends on what all you''re running. If you are doing a lot at once, it will run it down faster. I have used the longer one to watch a dvd and I was able to finish the movie. I still keep the standard battery charged in my bag just in case.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
The "Genius Bar" is hte support desk at the Apple Store. Most major cities have an Apple Store now and the Genius Bar is awesome! The "Geniuses" are trained to handle almost any problem you could have with your computer (or ipod) and will even book time to show you how to use it, for free. They are sort of like "triage" for any problem you may have. I had a cd stuck in my laptop and while they couldn''t fix it for me, they boxed it up and sent it to the factory for me for free. The problem was under warranty, but I would have had to pay for shipping if I''d done it myself. When I had the keyboard problem, they ordered it for me and replaced it in store, in 15 minutes, and only charged me for the part. I was thrilled!

My ibook battery lasts about 3 hours when I run a lot of stuff, longer when I''m just using 1 program.

As for what to get in it, most of the Macs come loaded with everything you''ll need... just be sure you get a wireless router so you can have wireless internet in your home, if you don''t have one already. Focus on getting as much RAM as you can... it''s important. As for file transfer, I usually just use a usb keychain thing. works better than a quick cd burn, but then I don''t transfer large files usually.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for that..It will help me out.I am in
Canada and we do have Apple Stores, but so far have not heard genius bar.The store we have is really nice one too.Thanks will check it out.I heard that apple sells adapter that hoks directly into your seat connection when flying so it won''t drain your battery? Is it advisable to buy extra battery? Or perhaps wait and see?

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I have Sony for my desktop and recently mother board died ( computer just over 2 yrs old) What a terrible experience I had trying to get it fixed.Hope you never have any problems , they are very difficult to deal with.I was computer less for almost 2 months as a result. So as for Sony for now I think I will not consider anything from them.. thanks and good luck..

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
What would be a minimum
RAm I should look for ?

cara

Ideal_Rock
Get a macbook. Super portable and if you want easy no hassle less viruses, go mac.

As for RAM, what are you planning on running? If its just surfing and some light one-at-a-time office applications, 512 is fine. I routinely am writing papers with Word, Photoshop, Illustrator, and some other stuff open at once, switching between them all, and would not want less than 1 GB. I just moved to 2 GB and am very happy :) But more moderate users would be very happy with 1 GB. If the $ is not super tight, better to just order it up front than worry about it later.

Only thing is if you have some specialty apps that only run on PC. You will be able to run them on the new Intel Macs but it will be a bit of hassle. And you will not be able to steal software as easily from others.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a Dell. Won''t recommend one... customer service is terrible. I''d go with the new Mac with the two operating systems if I had a choice. Or a Sony.

foofie_foofie

Rough_Rock
yes macbooks are very nice!!! if you use programs that require a PC (including Active X, windows media player, etc.) you can get the software parallels desktop but you def. would need at least 1GB of ram. If you''re considering one try their refurbished page. Also, you can upgrade the hard drive and RAM by yourself if you are feeling confident (It''s really not that bad)

Hope that helps

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for anything Mac. I have a PowerBook G4 and I''ve had ZERO problems with it. Its maybe four years old already. I''d get a newer one but its working so great that I don''t want to part with it. Macs don''t have virus problems and they just run very reliably. I take it with me to school everyday.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sum, I noticed you using v''s for w''s and thought you had a button issue! glad it is worked out, bet you want to type wots of words with w''s...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a favorite right now they all suck to some extent or another.
expect another batch of battery recalls any day now.

hard drives are failing at a higher rate than ever before on all of them also.
which is likely related to the power/battery mess.

at the same time customer service is down the toilet.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to everyone much apprecieated.Beside the case for it what else should I purchase , I do not run that many applications so no problem with this, probably a bit or learnig with different operating system? Is it more diffucult? thanks getting ready to buy, maybe they will go on sale soon?

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I am on my second IBM thinkpad and I love it. No major problems w/it, and always when I have had minor problems (fan making weird noises) the CS has been great and no problems sending it out to fix it. Anyway, just a vote for a non-Mac, PC laptop.

I wouldn''t recommend Dell purely for their poor customer service, I have several friends who had one and always had major problems dealing w/them!!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
good to know, thanks again to everyone

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I have had two Dell laptops and would not recommend them either. However, I LOVE my IBM Thinkpad. I love Macs as well except the inconvenience of software and compatibility with work applications because other people around me and my office use PCs.

It really depends on what you are using it for. If you don''t really need many additional applications/software items besides the basics and you don''t have to worry about compatiblity with other people then Macs are great--I always hear good things, especially if you want to do creative things on your laptop (editing, drawings, etc).

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I have an older version of the MacBook, which was called the PowerBook...it's a wonderful computer!!! I have no problems with it...

Just get the extended 3-year warranty. My hard-drive crashed about 1 year ago and they replaced it without any hassles or complications. The warranty is so essential!!!

As far as learning a different OS, Macs are extremely easy to learn. The desktop looks much like a Windows desktop, but is much easier to maneuver through. You can't go wrong with a Mac!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
really apprecieate all opinions, now as soon as I get better ( fighting cold right now) I will go shopping , cheers to everyone who responded..

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 1:41:52 AM
Author: goldenstar
I vote for anything Mac. I have a PowerBook G4 and I've had ZERO problems with it. Its maybe four years old already. I'd get a newer one but its working so great that I don't want to part with it. Macs don't have virus problems and they just run very reliably. I take it with me to school everyday.

I vote nothing but a MAC... I would never ever ever go back to anything that is not a MAC...

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
just to thank everyone again ,and an update.I got mac and its fun , still learning to use it..Any tips?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!! Which model did you get?

Just remember that all your software is stored in the applications folder when you click on your hard drive icon. My FI can never remember this. You can set anything you use regularly to stick to your dock at the bottom. Just sort of click and hold until the menu pops up and there''s an option for "keep in dock". Also, that little magnifying glass in the top right corner is a quickfind if you don''t want to dig for anything. The dashboard is fun... I have widgets for weather, time, calendar, calculator, and a couple of silly games.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

congrats on your mac purchase!! i''m a mac girl myself!
if you have any specific questions ask away, and i''ll try to help.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I got an HP a few months ago and I really like it. When I custom ordered mine, I had few extras added. The coolest one is where take a picture from your hardrive or the internet, and you can create your own CD labels and they are lightscribed right onto a specially designed CD. I chose and upgraded screen, and that automatically came with a remote control! I had never heard of that before. It''s also a widescreen, but that seems pretty standard nowadays with laptops. I also like how I can take the memory card out of my digital camera put it directly into my laptop to get the pictures.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much. Is it easy to use I pic for fotos? I have not used it yet , also bookmarks I was trying to pin one in dashboard so it opens easily, but no luck? I am just learnig it really.Would love to finally do some pics , but not sure if the software is easy? So far I like to mac so I am happy I posted this here and you guys helped out.. Thanks ...Any cool software you use with your mac?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results