shape
carat
color
clarity

All About Vacations!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 1:36:36 PM
Author: MC

Date: 1/12/2010 1:29:40 PM
Author: Burberrygirl
I always go on multiple vacations, I absolutely love traveling! Every year my family does the mandatory trips Up North (I live in MI) to the lake house. Usually I go out to visit my sister in Portland once a year, but I didn't have time in 2009. I think I'm going out there this summer and we'll probably visit Washington and California. Then every other year I normally go to Puerto Rico or Mexico. This summer I might be going with my sister to Europe *cross your fingers for me*!
Hope you have a great time in WA! (that's where I live!) Any plans on what you're planning to do out here?
Thanks! I'm not exactly sure where I want to go yet. Hopefully I'll be out there for a couple of weeks so we can do a long weekend trip to Washington. She took my mom and brother to Seattle and they loved it. I'd definitely like to go there. Which places would you recommend going to in Washington?

ETA: I meant to say in my original post that I might be going to Europe with my sister in the fall, not the summer!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
GIA sign. Of course there is a tall metal fence around the complex (and of course, I contemplating climbing over it and sneaking in! hehehe - they do have tours in case you''re interested in doing that!)

GIAsign.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 1:44:20 PM

I always go on multiple vacations, I absolutely love traveling! Every year my family does the mandatory trips Up North (I live in MI) to the lake house. Usually I go out to visit my sister in Portland once a year, but I didn''t have time in 2009. I think I''m going out there this summer and we''ll probably visit Washington and California. Then every other year I normally go to Puerto Rico or Mexico. This summer I might be going with my sister to Europe *cross your fingers for me*!
Hope you have a great time in WA! (that''s where I live!) Any plans on what you''re planning to do out here?
Thanks! I''m not exactly sure where I want to go yet. Hopefully I''ll be out there for a couple of weeks so we can do a long weekend trip to Washington. She took my mom and brother to Seattle and they loved it. I''d definitely like to go there. Which places would you recommend going to in Washington?
I recommend Seattle! lol

If you''re up for a long drive, you can do the Olympic National Forest. One thing about Washington is that there are A LOT of islands out here. The San Juans are gorgeous. The only downside is that there isn''t much to do on those and the ferry prices are high. Whidbey Island makes for a great day trip - Langley is a fun little town. The ferry isn''t very expensive for that trip. The south and central part of the island are civilian (that is the portion I recommend). The north part is Oak Harbor, which is a military base - I wouldn''t bother with visiting there.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 1:29:52 PM
Author: sba771
For 2010 we have a 10 trip to Greece planned and a 4-5 day chocolate and beer tour in Amsterdam and Belgium. I also want to sneak in a quickie weekend trip to Berlin if we can.
You're going to LOVE it! We did Amsterdam and Belgium just over 2 years ago and it was one of the best trips we've ever taken. We're both HUGE Belgian beer fans, and I'm crazy about Belgian pralines. MMMMMmmmm. Plus, frites and waffles!

We also ended off in Munich for Oktoberfest and ended our trip with massive stein-fulls!

ETA: forgot to mention, it's so easy to travel from Amsterdam to Brussels. It's a short and cheap train ride away. Berlin will be a flight though, RyanAir has really good deals.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 1:49:56 PM

Date: 1/12/2010 1:44:20 PM

I always go on multiple vacations, I absolutely love traveling! Every year my family does the mandatory trips Up North (I live in MI) to the lake house. Usually I go out to visit my sister in Portland once a year, but I didn''t have time in 2009. I think I''m going out there this summer and we''ll probably visit Washington and California. Then every other year I normally go to Puerto Rico or Mexico. This summer I might be going with my sister to Europe *cross your fingers for me*!
Hope you have a great time in WA! (that''s where I live!) Any plans on what you''re planning to do out here?
Thanks! I''m not exactly sure where I want to go yet. Hopefully I''ll be out there for a couple of weeks so we can do a long weekend trip to Washington. She took my mom and brother to Seattle and they loved it. I''d definitely like to go there. Which places would you recommend going to in Washington?
I recommend Seattle! lol

If you''re up for a long drive, you can do the Olympic National Forest. One thing about Washington is that there are A LOT of islands out here. The San Juans are gorgeous. The only downside is that there isn''t much to do on those and the ferry prices are high. Whidbey Island makes for a great day trip - Langley is a fun little town. The ferry isn''t very expensive for that trip. The south and central part of the island are civilian (that is the portion I recommend). The north part is Oak Harbor, which is a military base - I wouldn''t bother with visiting there.
Thanks MC! I''m going to look into all those places!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 1:56:50 PM

Date: 1/12/2010 1:49:56 PM

I recommend Seattle! lol

Thanks MC! I''m going to look into all those places!
Yep.

Be sure to post lots of photos!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We''re going on our honeymoon cruise in less than 2 weeks to the eastern Caribbean, which is a week long, then maybe a long weekend in LA and another in Vegas (neither of us have been). It sucks only having 2 weeks of vacation.
7.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Last year was really the first year DH and I had the time and money to go anywhere just the 2 of us and we went to Rio in the spring. For 2010 we just came back from our honeymoon in Jamaica, we are doing a night away in Nantucket this weekend with friends, we are also looking to go somewhere in the Caribbean in the spring maybe the Bahamas or Barbados with friends, and then maybe a smaller trip in the fall to Vegas would be my preference but we''ll see.

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 1:51:21 PM
Author: kama_s

For 2010 we have a 10 trip to Greece planned and a 4-5 day chocolate and beer tour in Amsterdam and Belgium. I also want to sneak in a quickie weekend trip to Berlin if we can.
You're going to LOVE it! We did Amsterdam and Belgium just over 2 years ago and it was one of the best trips we've ever taken.
Yeah, Greece is one of our fave, how fun
30.gif

We usually take 1 big one then 1-2 smallish ones Orlando/Victoria [kid friendly] depending on $

katamari

Ideal_Rock

What breweries are you going to visit? DH and I did a Belgium beer tour in 2008. It was awesome. Belgium is a lovely country. DH used to live in Amsterdam, and it is our collective favorite city in the world. I am very jealous!

As for me, we generally do smaller trips every year but then have a big trip every other (even years). Last year, we threw it off by having a DW, so we are going to skip the big trip in ''10. I don''t know if I will be able to hold off until ''12 for another big trip, though, so we will see how that goes.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 2:01:04 PM
Author: sunnyd
We''re going on our honeymoon cruise in less than 2 weeks to the eastern Caribbean, which is a week long, then maybe a long weekend in LA and another in Vegas (neither of us have been). It sucks only having 2 weeks of vacation.
7.gif

2.gif
Better than nothing though, right? I personally think 2 weeks is right around when I begin to miss being at home anyways when I''m on vaca

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 2:30:32 PM
Author: katamari

DH used to live in Amsterdam, and it is our collective favorite city in the world. I am very jealous!
No way! I'd love to live in the Netherlands! We went down to Appledorn for a wedding. Absolutely beautiful! I'd die to shop in Amsterdam too - I got a whole bunch of pretty things from there on our last visit and I get compliments everytime I wear them!

A Dutch friend of mine is doing pediatric pharmacology specialization with us, and she wears the most gorgeous shoes!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 2:38:54 PM

DH used to live in Amsterdam, and it is our collective favorite city in the world. I am very jealous!

No way! I''d love to live in the Netherlands! We went down to Appledorn for a wedding. Absolutely beautiful! I''d die to shop in Amsterdam too - I got a whole bunch of pretty things from there on our last visit and I get compliments everytime I wear them!

A Dutch friend of mine is doing pediatric pharmacology specialization with us, and she wears the most gorgeous shoes!

The shopping there is great! It is a funky, so I always find great accessories--especially bags and shoes. I cannot buy many clothes there, though, because I am a shorty and the Dutch are some tall people. I did though get a very nice coat that I wear as a trench coat that was meant to be a weirdly-designed waistcoat for someone 12" taller than me.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 2:45:22 PM

Date: 1/12/2010 2:38:54 PM

No way! I''d love to live in the Netherlands! We went down to Appledorn for a wedding. Absolutely beautiful! I''d die to shop in Amsterdam too - I got a whole bunch of pretty things from there on our last visit and I get compliments everytime I wear them!

The shopping there is great! It is a funky, so I always find great accessories--especially bags and shoes. I cannot buy many clothes there, though, because I am a shorty and the Dutch are some tall people. I did though get a very nice coat that I wear as a trench coat that was meant to be a weirdly-designed waistcoat for someone 12'' taller than me.
Agreed! The style is so funky, it takes years for some of those styles to come down here. I bought a few skirts that come just to my knee (but were meant to be shorter, ha) and TONS of accessories. Fashion jewelry, silk scarves, boots (!!!).

My Dutch friend only wears shoes that are leather outside AND inside. Such a foreign concept to me, since all the boots we have here have only leather outers. But MAN, does she wear so adorably cute and funky shoes!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
We take an annual... and the only reason we get to is because my grandparents pay for the entire family to go.... every year... b/c they love us
30.gif
20.gif
. We go to My home away from home, St. Auggie. I love it there.... I could live there... honestly I could.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
generally small getaways, tho last year we went to australia (home) together for our 25th anniversary.

and i''m about to head off again for a long visit home (last time was only 3 weeks - not long enough for me to recharge the batteries). this year will be 10 years since i left australia, and i''ve decided to go home for a good, long break of at least 2 months. i''m also planning to finish writing the second book in my children''s series or die in the attempt. tim and i are planning on a vacation when i return - probably grand cayman - a destination i LUST over and to which i''ve never been.

we normally take a weekend of two away during the year also - often to vermont - and i''m in LA almost as often as i''m home. so all up, plenty of travel for us.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
SO and i are big into the travel...

This year we''ll go away for weekends here and there (we have two ski trips planned for this month, and in summer id like to do some long weekends at national parks).
We''re going home to Australia in march for a visit for 2 weeks, and have a couple of days in vegas before that which im excited about as i havent been.
Then we''ll take a month/5 weeks in August/September and go to Alaska i think. Or Italy...but i think it''ll make more sense to do Italy in 2011.
Anyhoo then hopefully we''ll have a couple of weeks in Mexico or Jamaica in December, but it might get pushed to Jan, depending on a few factors.

Last year was a bad year, we only had the one holiday (although as we''re on a ''working holiday'' we cant complain too much)...

But the year before we traveled for 11 months
9.gif

Yes i love travel
11.gif

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t taken a real vacation in years! This year though I plan on going to Munich for a week in April, Poland for another week in August and hopefully Maui in December.
36.gif

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
We took 2 vacations in 2009 - our honeymoon, and a family trip four months afterwards.

2010 we''ll be doing one out-of-country wedding (my cousin) and one out-of-state wedding (his brother). I think that''ll be it for us! We''ll see the sights a little at my cousin''s wedding.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was single, I took 2-3 week vacations, by myself somewhere internationally. If I had the vacation time, I also went to Park City by myself to ski for a week.

Now, it''s broken down. We did go to Oz this Sept for 9 days, but I don''t consider Australia a vacation anymore. Australia is going "home" to see his family.

This year, we''ll do our yearly visit to Carmel and then later on we''re going to Hawaii with my mom and the kid. She''s turning 70 (mom, not kid) so we want to treat her to something nice.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ve only taken a few big vacations in the six years we''ve been together (Quebec City, Ireland, and Key West). We tend to take a weekend here and there and explore a new area. So far this year, we''ve gone to Asheville, NC, and Charleston, SC. We''d love to visit Wilmington, NC, Atlanta, and Savannah this year, if possible. It''s fun to think about different possibilities.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 6:39:30 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
We''ve only taken a few big vacations in the six years we''ve been together (Quebec City, Ireland, and Key West). We tend to take a weekend here and there and explore a new area. So far this year, we''ve gone to Asheville, NC, and Charleston, SC. We''d love to visit Wilmington, NC, Atlanta, and Savannah this year, if possible. It''s fun to think about different possibilities.
One of my fav cities! We were there in June.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
it depends-they are always family vacations or trips to see family...so far...in a few years we''re hoping to start going on our own too but our families are so far that tht''s not an option right now.

This year we''re going to Syracuse for Memorial Day weekend to see friends.

Lousiana for 5-7 days to see his parents

San Diego for 3 days for my college roommate''s wedding

A two week trip through CA and the west (grand canyon et al)

and then for Christmas and Thanksgiving we''ll go to each of our parents...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 6:43:07 PM
Author: BeachRunner
Date: 1/12/2010 6:39:30 PM

Author: ZoeBartlett

One of my fav cities! We were there in June.

I''ve heard it''s great, but unfortunately when we were there, nothing was really open. We went to the Biltmore House, which was a lot of fun, but that''s all we saw. We''d love to go back some day, maybe in the spring.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of weekend trips.

We can''t really do big vacations elsewhere - we fly back east to visit family so often that it eats into any big trip time we may have. Right now all our spare money goes into the wedding and house funds, though, so it''s not really a loss
1.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
JD and I took our honeymoon (that sucked) for our 1 year anniversary in 2002, and went to Florida for a week. Then 3 months later we went to Vegas w/my parents (we call this our real honeymoon b/c it was fun) for a few days. I got pregnant there, and a couple months later we went to Omaha for the weekend and to Owatonna Minnesota (Cabela''s) for a weekend. That was in 2003. We say every year we''re going to do something, but we never do. JD''s been on 3 vacations w/the guys and I have stayed home w/the kidlets. This Spring/Summer we''re planning *again* to take a long weekend to Omaha to the zoo, and then another to Adventureland in Des Moines. I won''t hold my breath, but I''ll cross my fingers!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don't have a typical vacation schedule, we kind of take 'em as the opportunities arise.

In the past we've gone on a couple smaller vacations a year--mostly within the states, and to National Parks or similar locations.
DH used to go on one or two big trips with the boys every year--Rio, Buenos Aires, etc.--but now that a lot of them are married with kids those have tapered off.

This year we're going to go somewhere between Chicago and Israel in May. My sister is in Israel, and we're going to meet up somewhere in between. Our current vote is for Ireland, which is probably where we'll end up. I'm super excited for that.

I'd like to staff another international trip with a gaggle of teenagers. A friend of mine goes to Tanzania every summer, so I may try to get into her program this year.

ETA:
We've both been out of the country multiple times, but we have little experience with many regions in our own country. SO, one of our goals is to go to more destinations within the U.S. in the upcoming years.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
We usually do one cruise every year and then also go back to the midwest to see the family. That''s not much of a vacation, just the price of living away I guess! We also try to do the 4 day weekend getaway as often as possible and did Hawaii last year and maybe Victoria this year.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 2:01:04 PM
Author: sunnyd
7.gif
I''m excited to see you decided to go! Which cruise and islands are you doing?

We just got back recently from the Ruby Princess on a 10 day Eastern. It was great.
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you guys are planning a Cali vacation don''t plan on stopping in Sacto,cuz there ain''t nothing here.
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results