shape
carat
color
clarity

All About Vacations!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you usually take an annual big vacation, or do you typically take several small trips a year? Also, what are your vacation plans for 2010?

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We normally take several small trips, but we really enjoyed our 2 week honeymoon last year. Thinking of doing a 2 week trip to Italy this year.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We usually do one big one.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Love vacation threads!

*oops: we take one big trip a year, usually, and several weekend trips. We each have four weeks of vacation but we can't afford to go away all the time.

We're going to PR in a few weeks!
36.gif

Summer we're taking our annual trip to The Cape (as in Cod)

Winter...we're thinking about going to Jamaica - for what will likely be our honeymoon
9.gif
We got a top-secret tip to a special place there and now we're in love
30.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
We do a vacation every April except this year
39.gif

I wouldn''t say that it''s a "big" vacation though. We usually get away for a week but stay in the states. FI needs to update his passport so we haven''t gone anywhere international though.

I plan on taking over California the next time we go on vacation.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
With kids, we don''t travel very far. The last big vacation was 8 days in California (that was a few years back) and we took the kids along with us. Since then, we''ve done a few smaller trips a year. We often go to Canada (since we''re only two hours south of the boarder) and also to Oregon. I do not like doing road trips, but my husband loves them so I just go along with his ideas.

We don''t have any plans for 2010. I''d like to save up and do one bigger trip a few years down the road when the kids are older - somwhere like Mexico and Hawaii. My younger son is just a bit too young for me to feel comfortable taking him to one of those locations.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
We have yet to go on a "real" vacation. We have taken a few weekend trips to Vegas and such but not in ages. Part of the territory with being poor and expecting a baby lol.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:37:34 PM
Author: fiery
39.gif

I wouldn''t say that it''s a ''big'' vacation though. We usually get away for a week but stay in the states. FI needs to update his passport so we haven''t gone anywhere international though.

Fiery - where in CA are you going? We flew into the LA airport and drove down the coast to San Diego and flew out from there. Along the way, we drove through Carlsbad and came across the GIA. They have a huge fake diamond rotating around over the top of the building. I was so excited to see the place that we kept driving back and forth in front of it until a security guard came out of his booth to get a closer look at us. lol

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, such fun locations!

Bia, SO nice to have 4 weeks worth of vacation time!! We have such a hard time juggling. Last year we went to Dubai to visit my father, a week in Punta Cana, our usual small trips to California and Montreal, plus time off during Christmas (to visit my in laws) and our honeymoon in Tahiti/Bora Bora! It was stressful saving vacation time and counting/calculating every single day.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, one of my FAV subjects!!! I love vacations
9.gif
Kama, Italy is so beautiful; how fun!!!

We use to do one big one and then one small one. It depends though.

in 09 we did sort of small ones; I went to SF with hubby, and then us and the family did one to Florida and one to Colorado.

This year the family and my hubby and I will go to Alaska; I have never been so it will be fun to see something new.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just came back from a week in Disney World. Hopefully Europe in the early summer.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Both!

My FI''s family takes one big one to a beach for a week every year. I don''t always make it to them, but, last year was St. Maarten where we got engaged. I''m not sure where this year will be.

I take trips as much as possible, the second anyone suggests something, I''m up for it. As long as I have vacation time...I''ll take it.

Intended for this year:
This week...Paris.
Egypt over the summer,
Colorado toward the end of the year.
MAYBE a Mediterranean cruise.

Those are the ones that have been discussed. Who knows what else will come up!

Again, for me...it''s all about the amount of vacation time I have! I HATE NOT HAVING MORE VACATION TIME!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 12:46:54 PM
Author: Skippy123
This year the family and my hubby and I will go to Alaska; I have never been so it will be fun to see something new.
Oh, you should take the ferry to Russia. You know, because it''s so close
2.gif

I really want to do Iceland, but need to convince the hubs. One of my favourite music band is from Iceland, and their videos are oh-so-beautiful!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Vacation plans for this year: Ireland with my family for a week, Pensacola to visit a friend for a few days, and I''m going to try to go to Oregon to visit my BFF. I''d love to get to NYC for a long weekend, but I need to B-U-L-K up my savings account first.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Probably just do some camping in the mountains this year
Some fun places I have been though include Hawaii with my best friends back in high school and Alaska a few years back. DH spent a month in Greece and Italy during college on an archaeological dig, I''m insanely jealous and hope we get to go there together someday. I just would like to go to Europe in general...preferably France but it really doesn''t matter much to me where...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:50:23 PM
Author: kama_s

Date: 1/12/2010 12:46:54 PM
Author: Skippy123
Oh, you should take the ferry to Russia. You know, because it''s so close
2.gif

I really want to do Iceland, but need to convince the hubs. One of my favourite music band is from Iceland, and their videos are oh-so-beautiful!
OMG, I laughed so hard at your first comment!!!
9.gif

Oh Iceland sounds beautiful! I remember Indygirl posted some pics from Iceland and the scenery was incredible! If you go post lots of pics
3.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:42:59 PM
Author: MC

39.gif

I wouldn''t say that it''s a ''big'' vacation though. We usually get away for a week but stay in the states. FI needs to update his passport so we haven''t gone anywhere international though.

Fiery - where in CA are you going? We flew into the LA airport and drove down the coast to San Diego and flew out from there. Along the way, we drove through Carlsbad and came across the GIA. They have a huge fake diamond rotating around over the top of the building. I was so excited to see the place that we kept driving back and forth in front of it until a security guard came out of his booth to get a closer look at us. lol
I know nothing of California so I''ll take any tips! I know we want to do a wine tour even though we aren''t wine drinkers. And we really want to see LA.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
we usually take lots of little ones and a big one all in one year. some years we take two big ones + lots of little ones. i guess it really just depends how the year pans out. we don't usually plan them that far in advance.

this year will we'll probably take the least amount of trips we've ever taken since our little baby is due in may. so far we've gone on a couple of weekend trips and are looking into taking another trip to florida this year.

last year, our big trip was paris. but we also went to austin + new orleans. the year before that our big trips were to hawaii + disney and we took smaller trips to st. louis, washington dc [x2], new orleans, virginia, ashville, san antonio, savannah, san marcos + raleigh.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
We have no vacation schedule, unfortunately. We''ve been on two mini vacations in our three years of dating/engagement. One was to Chicago, where FI''s brother lives, and the other was to Memphis. Both were only weekend trips. HOWEVER...As of last week, we have officially booked 5 days and 4 nights at Disney World this spring!!! I am so excited! I''m reading everything I can, and have much of the trip planned out already! Oh, it''ll be so nice to get away and have some real fun!
3.gif

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Fiery- re. California. Are you going to be in So Ca? If so, Temecula might fit the bill for your wine tour, its lovely there and some good wineries, nice selection. Ok I should probably answer the OP q? We recently got back from our honeymonn/ 1st ann. trip, so this year, we will be taking 3 smaller weekend trips. I know that so far we are going to the zinfandel festival in paso robles, and going to Vegas to meet up with some of Dh''s family. So not sure what #3 will be probably camping or something. We usually do 1 big trip and 2-3 small trips, but honeymoons are EXPENSIVE, lol.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
We usually do one big week-long vacation, and then we do a couple weekend trips. Usually Vegas and New York, or something like that, and make it a 3 or 4-day weekend.

This year I will be on maternity leave, so we are going to Nantucket for a week (wedding), and then I am going to take a week to visit my sister and her new little one at the end of the summer in Southern Cal. I can't wait! :)

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
We just moved to CO, so we''ll have plenty to do this yr. We went to Palm Springs in Oct, and just got back from a small ski trip where we spent a couple days in Breckenridge.

This summer we''ll spend many days in the mountains and seeing as many shows at Red Rocks as possible.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:56:45 PM

Date: 1/12/2010 12:42:59 PM
Author: MC

39.gif

I know nothing of California so I''ll take any tips! I know we want to do a wine tour even though we aren''t wine drinkers. And we really want to see LA.
Carlsbad isn''t exciting beyond seeing the GIA sign (lol). The reason we drove through there so we could take the kids to Legoland (which wasn''t all that great - kind of dirty - the kids loved it, which was what mattered.) What''s appealing about LA to you? Out of our trip, we LOVED San Diego the most. It was warm and yummy. The San Diego zoo and Seaworld are both there and we greatly enjoyed both. After going there, DH & I talked about moving there! Oh, and the drive from LA to San Diego didn''t take very long. . .just a thought in case you guys rent a car.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I always go on multiple vacations, I absolutely love traveling! Every year my family does the mandatory trips Up North (I live in MI) to the lake house. Usually I go out to visit my sister in Portland once a year, but I didn''t have time in 2009. I think I''m going out there this summer and we''ll probably visit Washington and California. Then every other year I normally go to Puerto Rico or Mexico. This summer I might be going with my sister to Europe *cross your fingers for me*!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
oh fun! I am spoiled and we do a big vacation every year. When we are in the US we are at the shore every weekend as well. I am a member of the Disney vacation club which also allows us to take a cool vacation every few years, not just at Disney world either.
For 2010 we have a 10 trip to Greece planned and a 4-5 day chocolate and beer tour in Amsterdam and Belgium. I also want to sneak in a quickie weekend trip to Berlin if we can.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We typically do both, but our "big vacations" aren't wildly expensive. Usually we'll do one or two weekends somewhere driveable (also even more weekends visiting friends; luckily our friends live in some pretty awesome cities!). Living in New England there are so many awesome places within driving distance. Then we'll go somewhere for a week to two weeks like the Bahamas, California, etc which would be the big vacation. But we're always on a budget no matter where we're going and that's how we're able to fit in a couple vacations (plus when I was traveling for work, I got a lot of free hotel stays, car rentals, flights, etc which helped out). We're not the type to go all out and spend on luxury hotels and things.

To save money this year (becasue of my employment situation) we thought it would be a great idea to get some of our college friends together and rent a house in the Adirondacks for a week. If all 9 people came, it would only be $250 per person (not counting food) which is a steal! Unfortunately it doesn't look like anyone else can make it
7.gif
So we don't really know what we're gonna do. I'm kind of hoping some of our friends want to go back to the Bahamas (or some place similar). We had such a good time a few years ago and we did it very cheaply.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 1:09:48 PM
Author: BeachRunner

This summer we''ll spend many days in the mountains and seeing as many shows at Red Rocks as possible.

Ditto, I went to a show at Red Rocks last year. My sister gave me tickets to go see John Prine and it was amazing! We were in the 14th row even
1.gif
Plus the weather was beautiful! We used to live about 15 minutes from red rocks and we could hear the shows at night...then landlord upped the rent, erg lol and we had to move

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 1:29:40 PM
Author: Burberrygirl
I always go on multiple vacations, I absolutely love traveling! Every year my family does the mandatory trips Up North (I live in MI) to the lake house. Usually I go out to visit my sister in Portland once a year, but I didn''t have time in 2009. I think I''m going out there this summer and we''ll probably visit Washington and California. Then every other year I normally go to Puerto Rico or Mexico. This summer I might be going with my sister to Europe *cross your fingers for me*!
Hope you have a great time in WA! (that''s where I live!) Any plans on what you''re planning to do out here?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 1:32:21 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved

Date: 1/12/2010 1:09:48 PM
Author: BeachRunner

Ditto, I went to a show at Red Rocks last year. My sister gave me tickets to go see John Prine and it was amazing! We were in the 14th row even
1.gif
Plus the weather was beautiful! We used to live about 15 minutes from red rocks and we could hear the shows at night...then landlord upped the rent, erg lol and we had to move
Yeah, we saw some shows there last summer when we were vacationing in CO; beautiful! We sprinted up the stairs for 10th row. amazing.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fiery - here''s the GIA floating diamond. lol

floatingdiamondGIA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results