shape
carat
color
clarity

All about Nails

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
so I know Jennifer does her own nails, I am chronically obsessed with doing mine as well, esp ever since I got engaged and then married...my rings look much better when my nails do too!

here''s a question..maybe someone can answer this because my nail salon gals definitely couldn''t...

when i get a manicure at my nail salon...within 1-2 days after it NEVER fails that the polish bubbles up and peels completely off in chunks. it''s like water or something gets under and there ya go. I always end up doing my nails again within a few days because it drives me nuts to have peeling areas.

however, I get a pedicure at the same salon and RARELY if ever have had this issue on my feet.

the manicure and pedicure are both done the same, they do a parrafin wax on both hands and feel, massage with lotions and oil, and hot rock massage on both arms and legs. so it''s not as though one is getting something and the other is not.
to compound my confusion, when i do my nails at home myself, whether it be a french or a regular pink polish or whatever, I do NOT have this problem at all. my at home polishes last a week or two depending on what I am doing with my hands.

what could be going on? why is it just the hands and only at the salon? it''s horrible because i love getting manicures and pedicures but why pay for the polish manicure when it just comes off in a day? i love french manicures for both hands and feet, and can do a pretty decent one myself at home, but it''s so much easier and nicer when they do it, but it only lasts a day!

i thought maybe that the wax or too much oil was getting onto the nail surface and not making the nail ''rough'' enough to hold the polish, aka too much of a smooth surface does not give the polish enough stick to the nail. but why wouldn''t that be happening for the toes too?

i thought maybe it was a finish or base polish they were using, aka a clear...but i think they use the same one on hands and feet...

the oddest thing as well is that the last time i was there, i was asking my nail gal and she didn''t know why that would be happening....a gal two chairs over in the pedicure chairs said the same thing happens to her only on her hands as well! she was feeling the same way i am...aka why bother...but we like the whole experience.

thoughts?!?! it''s kind of a random thing but it drives me nuts when i think about it and would LOVE to figure it out!!

oh and who else here gets regular manicures and pedicures? i get them once a month and it is my guilty pleasure, love them and will never go anywhere else but my salon which is a 20 min drive from home...because they do the paraffin wax, the massages with oil and warm lotion and the hot rocks AND the typical manicure and pedicure all for a VERY affordable price. i went to a place in SF for a party a few months back and it was something like an extra $20 and they didn''t have the vibrating chairs and didn''t do any massaging or waxes or anything..ridiculous! I am soooo spoiled now!
2.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
My first reaction to this was that they weren't cleaning the nails free of lotions/wax well enough but that doesn't seem to be the problem... Assuming everything, process and product, is the same for both hands and feet, perhaps it's your finger nails and the fact that hands do come in contact with water much more frequently than feet. And finger nails can be different than toe nails even on the same person. Toe nails are often much stronger and thicker.

Do you have any acrylic on your nails? Part of the reason i use a very thin coat of acrylic powder with regular nail glue (no smelly acrylic chemicals) is that the polish never chips... Ask your salon about the "glue/dip" method. other than trying out a variety of nail polish brands (you might find one that 'sticks" to your finger nails), this might be the best option. In my experience, Essie is a great polish brand. As for the glue/dip method, you simply spread a thin layer of glue on the nail, dip it in the clear powder, let dry and buff. You have to tell her to do it very thin/natural--that is why i do my own fingers--no one--and I mean NO ONE--in the 20 salons I've gone to over the years has been able to do it like I do. It's a pain but like you, the times I've gotten my hands done, two days later, I'd be doing it all myself anyway.
20.gif
1.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I''ve only gotten a manicure and pedicure at a salon once or twice so I don''t have that much experience. However, I noticed the same thing! I think it''s because we wash our hands many times and our feet only once a day. We also are constantly using our hands.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Mara,
I have been getting manicures and pedicures regularly for about ten years. For me, acrylics work well, but it is a commitment . You need to get "fills" every 2 weeks. In my experience, when manicures don''t last well, and that means I need a new full set of acrylics (unless I''m doing yardwork or helping my kids with elaborate school projects) . I love having neat, manicured nails.

Perhaps you can ask your manicurist to clean your nails twice, just to make sure all the residual oils are removed. In addition, I would use gloves to perform any dishwashing or other clean up that may introduce water/detergent to your nails for the first day. It''s worth a try.

By the way, I LOVE the new ring pic in the who you are photo. Mama Mia that''s a gorgeous asscher.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My nails are actually natural, I don''t have acrylic nails or put anything on my nails since I had acrylic nails in the far past, and for a while had acrylic powder on my natural nails, and both just did a horrible number on my own natural nail. It took years for them to be strong again but now that they are, my natural nails are actually very strong and quite attractive, I get compliments on them from the salon gals and sometimes they even ask if they are real (can''t they tell?!). I think alot of it has to do with the fact that I drink more milk than coffee...hehee.

Last time, also, I thought it may be too much lotion/oil on the nails as well, so I had them clean them EXTRA well...and still two days later, peeling and me repolishing.
7.gif

I totally agree with lots of hand washing, usage, hands taking more of the brunt than feet, etc..but what about the fact that when I do them at home myself, I do not have ANY troubles...and I mean none! That would suggest maybe the type of polish they are using or a coat or similar, but again..they often use the same ones on hand and feet, esp when I do a french.

This is why it''s so puzzling to me!
33.gif

Oh and Jen, I LOVE Essie polishes...I was raving about them on another thread. My favorite is the pale pink Mademoiselle and the Blanc for french at home, I do use LimoScene sometimes but it seems to streak at times...in fact I need to get over to the beauty salon at some point soon and get a new Mademoiselle! I am always on the hunt for pale pinks but this one by far is my favorite out of many tried.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Here''s an idea: Since your natural nails are both strong and attractive, you could do just clear polish most of the time and go natural? The clear polish might still bubble but it might be less noticeable and easier to touch up at home?
1.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a slave to my nails and at the salon every few weeks. I''m not lucky enough to have nice natural nails and must go the route of acrylic. My salon has started finishing the polish procedure with gel at the end and this has really made my polish last and last. Never any chipping or peeling! I always get a french polish and after she has finished with that, she applies a thick coat of a gel substance and I sit under these special lights for 5 minutes while it hardens. Once the 5 minutes is up she just uses some sort of polish remover liquid to clean them up and I''m set. The only problem is this coating CANNOT be removed with polish remover, it can only be filed off. If you are prone to changing polish before your next visit then this is not for you, but it does stop all peeling.

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
I had the same problem. I noticed here in NY, they water down the nail polish w/ remover. So to me its this reason coupled w/ the constant hand washing that wears on the polished finger nails and not on the feet. As a test, I brought in my own color for my frenchies. Then when I got home as an extra precaution, I used my own clearcoat on top.. Bingo, the polish lasted a lot longer than 24hrs. lol! If I want to try a new color, I''ll use theirs, but still apply my own clear coat at home. The ONLY place where the polish seems to last long is if I go to a spa.. but dang their prices. That''s like a once in a blue moon treat. Elizabeth Arden manicure/pedicure is like $80.
14.gif
But it feels and looks soooooooooooo good.

I''m quite the tomboy so I dont do my nails regularly. Since I got the e-ring, its a must. So off I''ll go, until I champion painting my own nails. Right now I paint like I''m cockeyed.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ten bucks says they are putting too much polish on and it isn''t drying properly between coats. Ever notice how if you just pile polish on top of polish, you can eventually peal it off?
I just can''t sit there at the salon anymore. It drives me crazy. I started doing my own as well. I do either natural or I''ll actually use full cover nails for a a week or two. People always compliment me on the polish but they are actually unpolished fake nails right out of the box, trimmed square and very short!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe it's not just any one thing...but a combination of things that happen at the salon that don't necessarily happen at home.

At your salon, there's the paraffin wax, the oil, the lotion, and the rapid application of coat after coat of nail polish without drying. Any one of these things might not be enough, but the combination might. I'm assuming you don't do all these things at home.

As for why just the fingernails peel but not the toenails, I think it has to do with the fact that toenails really are different than fingernails. Toenails don't get wet as often (you don't wash your feet as many times a day as your hands), toenails are thicker, and they don't get as much "wear" banging into things during the day. Even if you're wearing open toed shoes, it's not the toenails that come into contact with everything. Also, I really notice that they rub the lotion/oil, etc into each individual fingernail, but on the feet, they mostly rub that into my legs.

That's my guess as to why it only happens at the salon, and only to the fingernails.

I have the opposite phenomenon---salon manicures last 3x as long on my hands as my home manicures do. Which is why I indulge myself all the more.
31.gif
I even get the cute little designs with the sparkly rhinestone on my 2 big toes. Soooo fun!!

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
OMG Mara, I am totally with you, my pedicures last 3x as long as my manicures! I have thought about the reasons why also and the only thing I can really come up with is a combination of things: 1. I bet part of it is the polish not drying thoroughly between coats, and 2. I think when using a base coat, the color does not adhere as well as if it were directly applied to your nail. I think you can get away with this as long as you are not using reds or deep colors that will surely yellow your nail.
I have terrible nails and am prone to peeling, especially from the sides. I have tried so many things but really have to resort to wraps if I want consistently pretty nails. If you guys have suggestions for improving natural nails, I''m all ears!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Sephora has this amazing cuticle pen that has worked miracles on my hands. I am prone to picking at the skin around my nails and peeling the nails back in layers... this stuff has stopped me from doing it. I''m not sure what''s in it, but I put it on at least once a day and my nails look 100% better than they used to.
I also have to make sure I get a manicure once a week otherwise I will start peeling off the polish. Definitely worth the expense, especially since my bf notices every little defect on my hands and ''inspects'' them often. I''ve been showing him lately how wonderful my ring finger is looking!
41.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to have thin dry peeling nails for years after doing fake acrylics..those things just ruin you.

Over time my nails eventually became stronger, I just kept cutting them short until that point...when I look back at the times my nails have been strongest, I have to say that I think it's at times when I am drinking alot of milk...whether it be chocolate milk (which i love), or milk in coffee (my coffees are like 75% milk and 25% coffee..ehehe).

I also keep a coat of something on my nails at all times when I am tryingg to grow them. I used a few of Sally Hansen products, but the only one that really worked was..I think it was a Hard as Nails clear coat or something like that for protecting nails. The peeling thing from her NEVER worked for me at all. Also there was another product she had years ago that had actual fabric fibers in it to help bond to your nails and keep them strong..that worked well for me too.

Someone posted an article over in LIW about biotin being good for nail strength and it listed the foods you can find it in as well.

I think everyone's nails are different..I tried various different things but it seems for me the most consistent is milk and therefore calcium.

In terms of the whole peeling polish thing, possibly the multiple coats without drying could be part of it..maybe my nails being too smooth also have something to do with it. From what I have heard, nail polish sticks better to fake acrylic or something that is synthetic, I know our nails put out oils which may cause the polish to peel..but again, the at home manicures are great for me.

So I guess I'll just have the salon do the actual manicure and clean up the nails, cuticles etc and just leave the polishing to myself at home!

Oh edited to add that I kind of go in waves with nails...have them for a while and then get sick of them and cut them all off, go a few months with no nails and then grow them again. The only times Greg has ever said anything was to call my nail-less hands BOY HANDS and to compliment my hands when I do have nails. He's only done this once or twice, and he earned himself a big slug on the arm for the BOY HANDS comment!
20.gif

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,

have you tried Nailtique? I was using that years ago and it worked well. I will call my sis in law tonight to find out this other nail product we both used to buy. I think nailtique is around $15-20.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in the same boat- I love polished nails, but I have my hands in water all the time, and it peels right off. I think that it is a combo of several things in your case; nail chemistry, inadequate drying between coats, and water. Our feet get wet perhaps once a day, when we bathe, whereas the hands are much more frequently washed. I have strong natural nails that grow quickly, the only polish I have ever found that stays on my natural nails is the Revlon "Overtime" nail polish. Each kit is polish and topcoat, you have to use them together.

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
For strengthening my nails, I use OPI''s Nail Envy. It really really works. I''ve used Nailtique in the past, and it worked as well, but it peels off your nails in sheets, and Nail Envy does not. It''s wonderful!

Just as a thought, next time you go to the salon, bring your own polish, basecoat, topcoat, etc, and have them use it. I think pedies just last longer but I''ve noticed a difference with different types of polish on my hands.

Also, make sure they wipe down your nail beds with rubbing alcohol before they polish your nails, that seems to strip the oils and lotions off really well. hth!

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
If you hold your hands in front of a fan or heater at the salon it can cause your nail polish to bubble also. I have gel acrylics and don''t usually have problems unless they have me use a fan or heater instead of the UV lights.

I always take my own polish too so that I can perform any needed touch-ups myself. My favorite polishes are OPI and Orly (from Sally Beauty Supply).

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lo and behold...I switched to a new nail salon last month (closer to home, and cheaper)...I''ve gotten a mani and a pedi there twice....pedicure lasted all month...both manicures...peeled off by 2 days after getting them!!!

This has never happened to me in the past at any other salon I''ve gone to...and it''s not due to the colored polish, because it was OPI, which I have used for years without this happening.

Very peculiar. They did not rub the lotion into my nail beds...most of it was just an arm massage. They also did not buff my nails very much...so I don''t think it was that....and they didn''t put the polish on any faster or slower than any other place I''ve been. ???

I''m wondering if it''s the specific basecoat/topcoat they use. True, they probably used that on my feet as well...

Anyway, very weird. Never happened before I went to this particular salon.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just like you, in that I am so obsessed about my nails. I can''t stand it when the manicurist files my nails narrow on the sides, or doesn''t cut my cuticles very well.

Of course, I never say anything, I just wind up complaining to my husband and redoing my nails when I get home! On top of this, I used to be a manicurist before I became a nurse so it doesn''t help my situation.

I used to use Nailtiques because we used it at work, then switched to Nailtech and back to Nailtiques and now I found a much cheaper product called Mystic Nails, which my current manicurist recommended. I would also recommend a bonding base coat, although they are usually opaque in color. Orly and OPI make good ones.

I find that the Mystic Nails works just as good as Nailtiques and the price can''t be beat! It only cost $1.99! I compared the bottles and the ingredients are exactly the same.

I find that if the manicurist lightly buffs the ends of my nails (with the white block buff) and then cleans it really well with nail polish remover to remove all the lotion and oils, my manicures last about 5 to 7 days.

I also use a top coat called SecheVite, which is phenomenal. It dries my nails within 20 minutes and leaves a smooth ultra shiny finish. The only problem is that some manicurists tend to just dab it on (since it''s clear) and I find that you can notice where the topcoat is missing when the nails dry.
Also, after a while, it gets thick, but that can easily be solved by adding a little nail polish thinner.

My last manicure was last Thursday and except for a tiny chip(which I actually picked off today) on my right pinky finger, my nail polish is intact.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2005 7:45:39 PM
Author: MrsFrk
I''m in the same boat- I love polished nails, but I have my hands in water all the time, and it peels right off.
My nails look like crap because I continously wash my hands and forget to file my nails. lol I love painting my toes, though, and have at least 20 shades of pink to deck them out in!

I have to say that THE WORSE polish I''ve ever purchased is by MAC. I bought the coolest shade of purple a few months back and the laquer is so thin that it takes four coats for the color to look right AND it chips off (on my toe nails) within a day or two. This stuff SUCKS!

The best I''ve found is maybeline forever strong plus iron. . . this stays on for a couple weeks without any base coat or whatever other stuff one is suppose to paint on.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i literally wash my hands constantly while at work, so i''ve tried just about every kind of nail polish and i buy lots (and lots) of those that stay more than just a few days without chipping or peeling. the best so far are (in no particular order)
as mc said--maybelline foreverstrong +iron
also maybelline wet shine diamonds
and sally hansen hard as nails

these all stay looking good for several days without touch up, sometimes over a week!
36.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
There is a new Essie color called "Chips No Potatoes" that is awesome--sheer, beige-y neutral with a hint of shimmer.
30.gif
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo Jennifer I have to make a trip to the beauty store soon to get more Mademoiselle, I will look for the Chips color as well!

When I do nail painting at home they last me a week each. I MUST put on the top coat (which I got at the beauty store) which is a non yellowing top coat I really love...when I don't put on the top coat and put on a random clear one I have hanging around, my nails chip within a few days. but nothing is as bad as the salon manicure!!

Next time I am going to just have them do the manicure part, and not paint at all, I will do that myself!! Oh and Kayla I can totally relate to being anal about the manicures, since I grow my own nails, it obviously takes a while to grow them again if something happens, so I watch them like a hawk when they file. Usually they file too much and then the symmetrical stickler in me requires they take them all to that level which I HATE doing...hehhee. At least I tip well for all the headaches I give them (that one a bit more square, that one a bit shorter, that one is not smooth...). I love my salon, the ladies are very nice and I always feel super relaxed when I leave!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok made a trip to nail salon today...took my own polishes and used their top coat. did not do the fan/uv nail dry thing, which i have had make the nails bubble in the past and since i do not use one at home, wanted to replicate the home treatment as much as possible to see what is different. so we''ll see if that makes a difference. maybe it''s the top coat..we''ll see!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, did you determine whether it was the top coat or not? Did your nails peel?

Interestingly enough I went to the salon last week and got a manicure...and this time I did do the UV thing to help it dry---and my nail polish did not peel. I did notice a few small bubbles, but it didn''t peel. Normally at any other salon I don''t have to do the UV thing and my nail polish won''t peel at all...but at this particular salon, the UV machine seems to prevent peeling. I still wonder if this has anything to do with their particular base or top coat??

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to post because I have finally found the perfect manicurist for me!!!
She does nails exactly the way I like them! She even put my top coat on perfectly!

I tried to make an appointment with someone else at this spa salon and they said she was booked yesterday, but they could schedule me with another lady. I asked if she was good and they said she was great.
This place is about 30 minutes from my house and I have to pay a bridge toll to get there, but my aunt recommended it before and said everyone there was good (there are only three manicurists who work there).
I wanted the other lady because I had a pedicure with her once and my pedicure lasted 2 months.

So, I went in a little bit apprehensive trying someone new. I told her right away, I don''t want my nails filed too narrow on the sides and I want them square with rounded edges. Also, I mentioned to her if she could make sure that she spreads the topcoat over my nails evenly and all over.

I have never done that before. Usually, I will just let the manicurist do her thing and then scrutinize it later.
The thing is, she doesn''t really speak much English, she is Russian, so I was not sure if she understood what I was talking about with the topcoat.
Usually, when I try someone new, I will test them out by getting a french manicure to see how well they do.
Anyway, she filed perfectly, exactly how I would file my own nails. Then she cut my cuticles to perfection. Not a trace of extra skin lying around or on my nail bed.
Next, she did the french manicure perfectly! She even managed to make one nail, that I had broke a few days ago, match the others.
And last but not least, she put my topcoat on so that after it dried, you can''t detect that there are areas missing topcoat!

Sorry this is so long, but I am so excited about this! And can you believe that I actually was thinking about cancelling my appointment because I thought she would do a really bad job.

Now the only thing left is to see how long it lasts..........
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jen I finally went to the beauty supply store today and they did not have Chips No Potatoes!! They had Potato Fields which looked somewhat similar...I asked the gal and she said the name sounded familiar but she could not find it either. Anyhow, she said if I could give her the # on the bottom of the bottle next to the name, she could see if they could get it in.

I came away with a neutralish Sheer Bliss and another one which I can''t recall the name of now, but a Mademoiselle-ish pink but more sheer and more pink.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2005 9:18:26 PM
Author: Mara
Jen I finally went to the beauty supply store today and they did not have Chips No Potatoes!! They had Potato Fields which looked somewhat similar...I asked the gal and she said the name sounded familiar but she could not find it either. Anyhow, she said if I could give her the # on the bottom of the bottle next to the name, she could see if they could get it in.

I came away with a neutralish Sheer Bliss and another one which I can''t recall the name of now, but a Mademoiselle-ish pink but more sheer and more pink.
That''s so funny--I actually thought of YOU today at my beauty supply store when I saw the Chips No Potatoes and wondered if you had gotten it.

There are so many nice Essie colors this year--I love Mademoiselle too! I have not seen Potato Fields--sounds interesting! I''ll have to check it out!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since this was bumped up, I want to add that I put my crappy MAC polish on again a few weeks ago and put a top coat of clear Maybeline forever strong plus iron over it and it's only now starting to chip. Like I said above MAC polish is terrible. The other time I tried a color by them, I found similar problems. . .needs FOUR coats to look good and chips w/in a few day! PITA. . .but, since the maybeline stuff works so good at solving the chipping issue, I don't mind taking the time to paint MAC on. . .

Who knows what the deal is as MAC's other makeup rules, but somehow they've managed to completely screw up in the polish department!

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Mac nail polish does indeed suck rocks. I love them, but they really screwed the pooch on nail polish, you''re right, it''s a mystery.

I have discovered that you can use Revlon "Always On" Colorstay topcoat with any nail polish, and it still works. It wears incredibly well, I wash my hands constantly, and red polish will stay on for a week. Creative Stickey base coat, 2 coats of OPI Edinburgundy, and then the Revlon topcoat. I think I''m in love.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results