shape
carat
color
clarity

ALL ABOUT JADE

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
It is SUPER addicting! Jade fever. I don’t think that list ever happened here. I started a list on another forum years ago, so I’m not as up to date these days with who’s who after years hiatus from jade purchasing. I’ve seen quite a few new to me promising vendors on line who claim grade A, but there are many many fake Chinese certificates out there. The only way to completely ensure is to have a piece independently tested because treatments have gotten so extremely convincing these days (for jadeite) that even experts have been fooled. I haven’t purchased yet from the newer vendors who I’ve noted so am unable to recommend. I have purchased from Yokdee, and though I haven’t had it tested, I’ve done my own tests and I’m pretty confident about it. Also, I’ve heard from other that Allaboutjade is reputable. And there are some I have from early purchases.

I also saw in other threads that Jade Divers (Allan Spehar) and Ultimate Jadeite are also good/trusted vendors?

Reactions: AV_

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowza!! Those are some amazing pieces! Does she only do pendants? Do you have experience with purchasing from/shipping to US?

They sell lots of stuff! The name is misleading!

Here are the pieces I bought! Necklace and earrings.

20180729_125739.jpg

20180727_104013.jpg

I'm not sure about postage as I'm in Australia. She uses DHL and charges $25.

For my stuff I know the goods get driven from the factory to be picked up by DHL from Hong Kong and then sent to Australia.

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
oooh, i love the beads!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also saw in other threads that Jade Divers (Allan Spehar) and Ultimate Jadeite are also good/trusted vendors?
Allan is extremely reputable and is a true artist. He specializes in niche nephrite jade. Now doing South American jadeite pieces too, the Olmec jadeite of the ancient rulers of South America. I’ve Bought lots from Allan. Ultimate jadeite is also, but never purchased from Nadir. And there are others... for nephrite you can look at 9SJW on Etsy. They are Siberian artists and have good prices and interesting things. Then there’s jademine, but they tend to focus more on BC jade. 3jade has a steady selection of nephrite things along with other stones. I’ve only purchased some hard stone bowls from them. In America, there’s Mason Kay, and a good dealer in Hawaii, along with countless other smaller vendors. I have also purchased from jojojade /jadefinejewelry in China. You have to negotiate because the prices are overpriced. But they have a huge selection and as a jade factory can look out for you. Dealing with them is not as easy as with smaller vendors from my experience for many reasons. Hiddentreasuregems on Etsy carries some jade and others have purchased gems from her.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For vintage pieces , I’ve purchased from Eragems, lang’s Antiques and Alohamemorabilia (2 online stores, one on ruby lane and another Etsy) . They used to have great bangles from time to time and a lot of Ming’s, but selection is not what it used to be. They carry a lot of old world jade, meaning a different taste in the particular qualities of jade, more body/more saturation perhaps, with reds and yellows compared with today’s popular icy and light colored jade. Then there’s Hawaii jewelry buyers...never purchased, and many others. negotiation is acceptable with many sellers, except Allan and Nadir, and prices depend on where you are in the world, in the market.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
@Bluegemz - I love that description! And thanks for the vendor info.

I've been eyeing the blue olmec that Allan has - it is so unique and such lovely blue colors! The Edwards Black is also quite spectacular. I was thinking I could send the link for his etsy shop to my husband and let him know anytime he wants to pick up a surprise gift, any bangles on Allan's page would do just fine :lol-2:.

Looks like 9SJW is maybe not operating anymore? The etsy and eBay pages are gone and the facebook page hasn't been updated with any jade postings for about a year.

I found jade mine when I was researching whether I'd made a decent purchase, and I think my bangle is comparable to their A Grade BC bangles.

Jojojade does have a ton of selection! But negotiating and choosing seems daunting on that scale ...

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That description is so right on! Nephrite is the most beautiful to touch, like butter, so soft.

The Edward’s black bangles are just amazing. They are the toughest and blackest nephrite In the world, and since nephrite is toughest than jadeite, it’s basically the toughest of all. Allan once broke his saw trying to cut a piece. When a piece dropped on the concrete floor, it just bounced! It’s also very hard to find. I believe he’s the only one that I’ve seen who offers them. From a very small mine deposit which was depleted in the 60’s. There are plenty of other black nephrites, but lack the total blackness and strength of EB.

Regarding white and green nephrite; be aware that looking online, you will see plenty of inexpensive white to greenish ‘nephrite’ bangles. These are often serpentine and Korean nephrite, which has a more porridge texture and generally much less expensive. Serpentine has similar chemicals but lacks the toughness because it failed to crystallize in the way that nephrite does. Specific gravity tests can determine one from the other. Bowenite, a type of serpentine, is the only exception, in that it matches the toughness of nephrite.

9SJW has popped in and out of production for a while. I’ve seen them reopen under different names. They are basically 1 or 2 artisans living in Siberia. Once they explained that they had to prepare for and get through the winter before they could meet orders. They have done lovely work, and are very nice people. You just have to keep checking on them. They can tell you exactly which mine the jade comes from.

Jojojade I would only recommend as a possibility if one feels very confident with hard bargaining, getting at least half off and already knowing clearly what you want and don’t want, with jade experience already. Always ask for extra pictures to check on color, ask about stone lines, etc. there are restrictions to payment once one makes a deal as they don’t advertise bargaining, but will do it. They guarantee thier products A grade, and have known a few people who have purchased and had thier pieces independently tested. All came out to be A grade, as stated.

Re Olmec jade, I have a great story to tell about it....
@Bluegemz - I love that description! And thanks for the vendor info.

I've been eyeing the blue olmec that Allan has - it is so unique and such lovely blue colors! The Edwards Black is also quite spectacular. I was thinking I could send the link for his etsy shop to my husband and let him know anytime he wants to pick up a surprise gift, any bangles on Allan's page would do just fine :lol-2:.

Looks like 9SJW is maybe not operating anymore? The etsy and eBay pages are gone and the facebook page hasn't been updated with any jade postings for about a year.

I found jade mine when I was researching whether I'd made a decent purchase, and I think my bangle is comparable to their A Grade BC bangles.

Jojojade does have a ton of selection! But negotiating and choosing seems daunting on that scale ...

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
The Edward’s black bangles are just amazing. They are the toughest and blackest nephrite In the world, and since nephrite is toughest than jadeite, it’s basically the toughest of all. Allan once broke his saw trying to cut a piece. When a piece dropped on the concrete floor, it just bounced! It’s also very hard to find. I believe he’s the only one that I’ve seen who offers them. From a very small mine deposit which was depleted in the 60’s. There are plenty of other black nephrites, but lack the total blackness and strength of EB.

Gah!! Don't tell me this! He has a perfect one in my size posted right now, but I'm definitely not in the market to spend on more jewelry this year. :confused2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
more-clear-jpg.185970

for-perspective-jpg.186135
new-jade-jpg.144642

Bought this ring in 2008 from Barbara Smigel when she owned ACS. I believe it is Jade from Nikolai.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
more-clear-jpg.185970

for-perspective-jpg.186135
new-jade-jpg.144642

Bought this ring in 2008 from Barbara Smigel when she owned ACS. I believe it is Jade from Nikolai.
It’s gorgeous and so romantic! I believe that is the daughter of a well known jade seller in Hawaii. I really love her things.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous and so romantic! I believe that is the daughter of a well known jade seller in Hawaii. I really love her things.

Thank you! It is a big tall ring--and I agree it looks romantic!

cheers--Sharon

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread.

I don't think I added my grandma's Burmese jadeite ring to this thread although I added it to the 'old lady hands' thread on SMTB! :razz: 12534180_1679575778975918_1942615851_n.jpg

This is is a “Pricescope Classic” ring to me. Delicate, romantic, gorgeous size and color....perfect.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @LightBright ! My grandma enjoys "cheap and cheerful" jade and has amassed quite a collection. It's not top quality jade but it brings a smile to her face. She has another jade heart ring, bezelled in 24kt gold. I actually like that one even more because of the rich green and gold colours but I haven't got a good photo of it, unfortunately.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Bluegemz If you see the Siberian jade folks again, please let me know. I am curious, of course!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you. It maybe the last bit of my grandma I have. I should ask my mom.

This has a very interesting soldering job.

0F7FA3C6-F093-4B12-8CD6-473A3BACF038.jpeg

:confused: I’m actually kind of worried it’s flimsy.

Looks sturdy to me actually. Lovely, meaningful piece in the family.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
681F47C5-89FB-42F1-9824-4ECFA1B5ED93.jpeg
I don’t know the quality of this, but my mom passed this down to me.
I don't think you need have any concerns about the quality, it looks mighty fine to me!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I don’t have an eye for this like many of you.
I don't think you need have any concerns about the quality, it looks mighty fine to me!

renwea

Shiny_Rock
I've been following this thread with interest. I love jade. I've been wearing this Nephrite bangle for 3 years now without taking it off I had 9SJW carve it for me as an anniversary present from my husband. It came to me all the way from Russia. I was told the stone was found in the 7th Ospinskogo core deposit mine. Screenshot_20181124-220000_Gallery.jpg

YC

Brilliant_Rock
20190209_171309.jpg 20190209_171235.jpg
This is my jade ring, set in a peacock shaped halo. When I first received the ring, I could not figure out why the halo was so odd shaped until a friend pointed out that is a peacock shaped. The jade colour is 阳绿 and the jade glows, particularly in the sun. It has some pretty obvious inclusions but I kept it as I love the colour. 20190209_171219.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@YC your jade ring is stunning! The setting is unique and extraordinary, surely a peacock shape but perhaps also a water lily? The stone is beautifully colored, but I'm out of my depth when trying to describe its water content. =) It does have a soft glow about it that calms the spirit and brings contentment to whomever might gaze into its depths.

Could we get a translation of the Chinese characters you used to describe the color?

YC

Brilliant_Rock
@YC your jade ring is stunning! The setting is unique and extraordinary, surely a peacock shape but perhaps also a water lily? The stone is beautifully colored, but I'm out of my depth when trying to describe its water content. =) It does have a soft glow about it that calms the spirit and brings contentment to whomever might gaze into its depths.

Could we get a translation of the Chinese characters you used to describe the color?

Hi prs,
Thanks for your very kind words. I adore this ring too and it lifts my mood cos it is glowy in correct lighting, unlike my other jades.
I think that 阳 in this context refers to "sun". 绿=green. I googled and found some online (abstract and completely non-scientific ) description of that colour in mandarin. I won't attempt to translate here cos I don't fully understand the description myself.
The jade is an icy jade and is translucent. IRL I think the "water" content is pretty decent too.;)2

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi prs,
Thanks for your very kind words. I adore this ring too and it lifts my mood cos it is glowy in correct lighting, unlike my other jades.
I think that 阳 in this context refers to "sun". 绿=green. I googled and found some online (abstract and completely non-scientific ) description of that colour in mandarin. I won't attempt to translate here cos I don't fully understand the description myself.
The jade is an icy jade and is translucent. IRL I think the "water" content is pretty decent too.;)2

It also looks a 甜绿 based on colour in photos to me. Very pretty :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results