carat
color
clarity

All about coffee......

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I hope this to be a fun and enlightening thread. Cuz I want to know about OP's "coffee habits"!

The impetus--I am up early...waiting to make breakfast before a busy day out....and in half an hour I am on my 3rd cup of coffee! Got me thinking--how did I drink 2 cups so fast? Why do I even like coffee--and why do I "want/need" it right now? What is it about coffee that draw us to it? I must admit the smell inside Starbucks is better than perfume! :cheeky:

So my questions are: Do you drink coffee? What roast--and are you picky? Do you drink it all day--or limit your consumption? How do you take it? How do you prepare it? Where do you go for your "favorite" cup of coffee? Have you been drinking coffee all your life?

Add what you like. Any and all coffee info appreciated!

cheers--Sharon

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fun!

I am the only coffee drinker in our house. I still use my brew n go from 2000! I recently started dropping a paper filter in the reusable filter and that eliminated my dredge muddy coffee cup bottom...an unhappy ending whenever I would hit the bottom of my mug!

I have managed to get myself down to one mug a day and only on rare occasion do I hit up a lunch cup of coffee...usually when I'm on my cycle and can't make it through the work day without a boost.

I like chock full o nuts from Costco, especially when it's on sale. It's a good balance of cost and taste to me. I make my cup with a flat tsp or less of sugar, and enough milk to get it to a certain shade of beiges brown. I guess it would be one sugar medium milk if I were to order In a deli.

I love me a small iced coffee if I'm orderIng breakfast from a deli or bagel shop. Small iced with milk and one sugar! Otherwise it's hot coffee at home.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE this thread.

Do you drink coffee?

Yes.

What roast--and are you picky?

I don't have a particular roast but I notice I am drawn/usually like Colombian type coffees (not sure if those are usually a particular roast).

I am picky with freshness and color (to me color can many times tell me whether the coffee is fresh. If it's gray I don't want it).

Do you drink it all day--or limit your consumption?

I could drink it all day but don't, mostly because I'm too lazy to make it several times a day. I pick up my coffee in the morning and then the rest of the day I usually drink tea.

I do limit my consumption of caffeine - my large coffee is usually a blend of half decaf/half regular. Same when I get a large tea from DunkinDonuts - 1 bag of regular tea, 1 decaf.

How do you take it?

A dash of milk, no sugar.

Where do you go for your "favorite" cup of coffee?

The local deli. They have a machine Douwe Egberts - awesome coffee - I love it.

Have you been drinking coffee all your life?

Yes. Sometimes I go through phases where I drink tea only though.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first coffee was at my grandmother's house when I would spend the night with her as a child. She made instant coffee but it had sugar and milk in it - so good! This was always at breakfast where we generally had biscuits and syrup for breakfast - gotta love the South! It was there that I also came to appreciate a thin lip of china for a coffee cup too!

Although I loved it, I didn't become a coffee drinker until I was an adult. Started drinking a cup in the morning but for many, many years that was about the extent of it. For some reason, I started drinking a cup in the evening although there is no way I can do it now - definitely keeps me awake! During the workday, I drink three cups a day with a warm up or top off in between. This is all Keurig and while I've tried many, I still prefer some of the more mild versions of breakfast blends or whatever. I have been buying Maxwell House as it is more often than not on sale. During the weekend or days off, I still only have my cup in the morning. I think I drink it at work due to lack of anything else that interests me except maybe for water. I love a good Diet Coke but limit those to being out somewhere on the weekend. My coffee gets coffee creamer and Truvia for sweetner.

While I love a good cup of Starbucks, my favorite is a good brewed cup in a high end restaurant with something sweet for dessert - that's my favorite!!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you drink coffee?
Yes.

I prefer dark Espresso-type roasts - we buy beans and grind it the night before, so all my DH has to do is hit the "on" button when he gets up in the early morning.
I am picky about flavor - it needs to be rich and full - I usually go with San Francisco Bay Coffee "Fog Chaser" or Peet's "Major Dickinson" or the Espresso beans of a couple different brands - for back-up I also always keep a can of Cafe Bustelo (ground espresso beans).

I only drink coffee in the morning, before work - my DH and I split a 12-cup Mr Coffee pot - we use large coffee cups so it comes out roughly to 3 big cups each.

How do you take it?
Black these days (stopped using cream maybe 5 years ago)

I really don't buy cups of coffee - even if we go out for breakfast, I've already had some coffee at home, and at the restaurant I'll order unsweetened iced tea.

I started drinking coffee (with cream) in my early 20s, and have never stopped.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
A subject near and dear to my heart!!!

Yes I drink coffee, I love it!

I prefer dark and espresso roasts. My favorites are Starbuck's French Roast and Peet's Major Dickason.

Normally I only drink coffee in the morning - only two cups since I switched to a Keurig instead of grinding my own beans and brewing a pot. Occasionally I will have a decaf after dinner if we are having dessert at a nice restaurant.

I take my coffee with a small amount of half and half - NO sugar.

I drink it primarily at home, but i will go to Starbuck's or other coffee shops once in a while.

I never drank coffee growing up although my mother drank it. I started when I was in my twenties during coffee breaks at work.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1446916021|3946652 said:
My first coffee was at my grandmother's house when I would spend the night with her as a child. She made instant coffee but it had sugar and milk in it - so good! This was always at breakfast where we generally had biscuits and syrup for breakfast - gotta love the South! It was there that I also came to appreciate a thin lip of china for a coffee cup too!

Although I loved it, I didn't become a coffee drinker until I was an adult. Started drinking a cup in the morning but for many, many years that was about the extent of it. For some reason, I started drinking a cup in the evening although there is no way I can do it now - definitely keeps me awake! During the workday, I drink three cups a day with a warm up or top off in between. This is all Keurig and while I've tried many, I still prefer some of the more mild versions of breakfast blends or whatever. I have been buying Maxwell House as it is more often than not on sale. During the weekend or days off, I still only have my cup in the morning. I think I drink it at work due to lack of anything else that interests me except maybe for water. I love a good Diet Coke but limit those to being out somewhere on the weekend. My coffee gets coffee creamer and Truvia for sweetner.

While I love a good cup of Starbucks, my favorite is a good brewed cup in a high end restaurant with something sweet for dessert - that's my favorite!!

MGR my grandparents were from Oklahoma and i remember having homemade biscuits and molasses at their house when I was a kid!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drink 2 cups of black coffee per day.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my younger days I drank a lot of instant coffee but really went off the taste the last time I was pregnant. Since then I've been more of a tea drinker.

Once or twice a week I'll have a Rosabaya from our Nespresso machine, with plenty of hot milk in it. If we go out for dinner I might have an expresso.

I recently had the most perfect coffee ever, a morning cappuccino in a cafe in Milan- just the right size, lovely smooth blend, with a thin, dense layer of froth on the top. I don't seem to be able to replicate it at home!

Now I'm getting older I find the strong coffee from places like Starbucks and Costa (UK chain) just gives me a fast heart rate and a sleepless night!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love coffee, but I can't drink more than a cup or two without getting crazy jitters. I usually don't drink coffee on the weekend. I have it every morning at work.

Do you drink coffee?

YUP.

I prefer a darker roast. I'm not super picky though.

I drink one or two regular cups a day, and then decaf after that.

How do you take it?

Black

McDonalds! I actually love their coffee. And their to-go coffee cups.

Yes pretty much.

Q

Queenie60

I enjoy french pressed coffee with warm almond milk. My current trend is to make an almond milk latte with my nespresso machine every morning. Some mornings I will have two, especially during the cold weather months.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sipping on a scrumptious cup right now! :lickout: Great topic, Canuk!

Do you drink coffee?
Heck yes!

Heck yes! Used to love our local roaster's Kona, but one cup in the AM gave me a headache by the PM, plus that makes for a very expensive habit. So now we drink a medium roast from Mexico, from the same roaster.

One cup in the morning, one cup in the afternoon, and sometimes another cup somewhere along the way. I can even drink a cup at 6pm and it has no bearing on my ability fall asleep!

How do you take it?
Light cream, 2 cubes of sugar.

How do you prepare it?
AeroPress and an electric teakettle with the temp set to 178. We grind our beans fresh, and we buy them from a local coffee shop that roasts themselves. - Well, they don't roast themselves.... rather, they roast their beans themselves! :lol:

Home! Otherwise, I get Dunkin fairly often, although they are so inconsistent and I often don't enjoy it. McDonald's actually makes a decent cuppa joe.

I had my first cup at 23, and have been drinking it ever since. It used to be that I had some coffee with my cream and sugar, but my taste has evolved - thank goodness!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1446915314|3946649 said:
How fun!

I am the only coffee drinker in our house. I still use my brew n go from 2000! I recently started dropping a paper filter in the reusable filter and that eliminated my dredge muddy coffee cup bottom...an unhappy ending whenever I would hit the bottom of my mug!

I have managed to get myself down to one mug a day and only on rare occasion do I hit up a lunch cup of coffee...usually when I'm on my cycle and can't make it through the work day without a boost.

I like chock full o nuts from Costco, especially when it's on sale. It's a good balance of cost and taste to me. I make my cup with a flat tsp or less of sugar, and enough milk to get it to a certain shade of beiges brown. I guess it would be one sugar medium milk if I were to order In a deli.

I love me a small iced coffee if I'm orderIng breakfast from a deli or bagel shop. Small iced with milk and one sugar! Otherwise it's hot coffee at home.

HI PB:

Thanks for sharing. I usually have two cups of coffee--but never one! If I did--it would have to be a very big cup! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1446915689|3946650 said:
LOVE this thread.

Do you drink coffee?

Yes.

I don't have a particular roast but I notice I am drawn/usually like Colombian type coffees (not sure if those are usually a particular roast).

I am picky with freshness and color (to me color can many times tell me whether the coffee is fresh. If it's gray I don't want it).

I could drink it all day but don't, mostly because I'm too lazy to make it several times a day. I pick up my coffee in the morning and then the rest of the day I usually drink tea.

I do limit my consumption of caffeine - my large coffee is usually a blend of half decaf/half regular. Same when I get a large tea from DunkinDonuts - 1 bag of regular tea, 1 decaf.

How do you take it?

A dash of milk, no sugar.

The local deli. They have a machine Douwe Egberts - awesome coffee - I love it.

Yes. Sometimes I go through phases where I drink tea only though.

CJ:

Yanno, I don't think I've ever had Dunkin Donuts coffee. If it is a dark strong roast I'll be good to go!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1446916021|3946652 said:

What an awesome memory MGR! We would visit my Grandmother on their farm--traditional perk coffee made on a big wood (fed) stove. I didn't drink it, but my Dad drank 10 cups of coffee a day and adored perked coffee. Kinda like the Bialetti's you put on top of the stove from the Italian market....

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1446917516|3946661 said:
Do you drink coffee?
Yes.

I prefer dark Espresso-type roasts - we buy beans and grind it the night before, so all my DH has to do is hit the "on" button when he gets up in the early morning.
I am picky about flavor - it needs to be rich and full - I usually go with San Francisco Bay Coffee "Fog Chaser" or Peet's "Major Dickinson" or the Espresso beans of a couple different brands - for back-up I also always keep a can of Cafe Bustelo (ground espresso beans).

I only drink coffee in the morning, before work - my DH and I split a 12-cup Mr Coffee pot - we use large coffee cups so it comes out roughly to 3 big cups each.

How do you take it?
Black these days (stopped using cream maybe 5 years ago)

I really don't buy cups of coffee - even if we go out for breakfast, I've already had some coffee at home, and at the restaurant I'll order unsweetened iced tea.

I started drinking coffee (with cream) in my early 20s, and have never stopped.

MM:

You and Sundial like the same coffee! :appl: And I'd be in good company with you ya'll--strong, dark and rich but I use a few drops of drops of crème! :lickout:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1446919361|3946668 said:
A subject near and dear to my heart!!!

Yes I drink coffee, I love it!

I prefer dark and espresso roasts. My favorites are Starbuck's French Roast and Peet's Major Dickason.

Normally I only drink coffee in the morning - only two cups since I switched to a Keurig instead of grinding my own beans and brewing a pot. Occasionally I will have a decaf after dinner if we are having dessert at a nice restaurant.

I take my coffee with a small amount of half and half - NO sugar.

I drink it primarily at home, but i will go to Starbuck's or other coffee shops once in a while.

I never drank coffee growing up although my mother drank it. I started when I was in my twenties during coffee breaks at work.

Sundial! :wavey:

I wish I could enjoy coffee in the evening--because I kinda crave it. But I have insomnia.... I did not drink coffee until second year of University--I think I was too cheap to buy it out! :lol: Funny, my son doesn't drink coffee at all and had no interest. But he loves tea and takes that with breakfast, instead.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowdrop13|1446920675|3946681 said:
In my younger days I drank a lot of instant coffee but really went off the taste the last time I was pregnant. Since then I've been more of a tea drinker.

Once or twice a week I'll have a Rosabaya from our Nespresso machine, with plenty of hot milk in it. If we go out for dinner I might have an expresso.

I recently had the most perfect coffee ever, a morning cappuccino in a cafe in Milan- just the right size, lovely smooth blend, with a thin, dense layer of froth on the top. I don't seem to be able to replicate it at home!

Now I'm getting older I find the strong coffee from places like Starbucks and Costa (UK chain) just gives me a fast heart rate and a sleepless night!

SD:

we had such beautiful coffee in France and Italy. FOR SURE I would get up each day with anticipation for delicious coffee and pastry! Coffee is an art form there!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1446921734|3946687 said:
I love coffee, but I can't drink more than a cup or two without getting crazy jitters. I usually don't drink coffee on the weekend. I have it every morning at work.

Do you drink coffee?

YUP.

I prefer a darker roast. I'm not super picky though.

I drink one or two regular cups a day, and then decaf after that.

How do you take it?

Black

McDonalds! I actually love their coffee. And their to-go coffee cups.

Yes pretty much.

Tele:

I recently had McDonald coffee on the advice of my sister--and enjoyed it! It is as good as people say!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1446922134|3946689 said:
I enjoy french pressed coffee with warm almond milk. My current trend is to make an almond milk latte with my nespresso machine every morning. Some mornings I will have two, especially during the cold weather months.

Q60:

This sounds yummy! My sister's adore their Nespresso machines. Very convenient and good coffee.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1446923843|3946702 said:
Sipping on a scrumptious cup right now! :lickout: Great topic, Canuk!

Do you drink coffee?
Heck yes!

Heck yes! Used to love our local roaster's Kona, but one cup in the AM gave me a headache by the PM, plus that makes for a very expensive habit. So now we drink a medium roast from Mexico, from the same roaster.

One cup in the morning, one cup in the afternoon, and sometimes another cup somewhere along the way. I can even drink a cup at 6pm and it has no bearing on my ability fall asleep!

How do you take it?
Light cream, 2 cubes of sugar.

How do you prepare it?
AeroPress and an electric teakettle with the temp set to 178. We grind our beans fresh, and we buy them from a local coffee shop that roasts themselves. - Well, they don't roast themselves.... rather, they roast their beans themselves! :lol:

Home! Otherwise, I get Dunkin fairly often, although they are so inconsistent and I often don't enjoy it. McDonald's actually makes a decent cuppa joe.

I had my first cup at 23, and have been drinking it ever since. It used to be that I had some coffee with my cream and sugar, but my taste has evolved - thank goodness!

RD:

I'll be over for coffee! :lickout: :wavey: I drank Kona coffee everyday while in Maui this summer--and brought some home. I would grind the beans and put it in my Bialetti stovetop perk. TOTAL YUM. Heavenly scent--you would walk into the Shops at Wailea and the aroma of coffee would hit you.... I also bought the Kona Company's coffee rub--and gave it for a gift to my neighbour who watered my plants when we were away. There was a fabu recipe for skirt steak with the coffee rub on Tommy Bahamas website...

cheers--Sharon

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every day, one cup of Starbucks instant that I buy in large packs from Costco. Add lots of non-fat milk. Easy and keeps the headache away. If i don't get my daily cup by 10am, the headache hits. I can drink only before noon. Anything after and I can forget sleeping through the night. At night I could get away with decaf only.

If I buy coffee, I get Peets Major Dickason's blend, my favorite. I never buy Starbucks at a store.

I started drinking regularly after I had my first baby. I needed to wake up enough drive to work in the morning.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1446931765|3946755 said:
Every day, one cup of Starbucks instant that I buy in large packs from Costco. Add lots of non-fat milk. Easy and keeps the headache away. If i don't get my daily cup by 10am, the headache hits. I can drink only before noon. Anything after and I can forget sleeping through the night. At night I could get away with decaf only.

If I buy coffee, I get Peets Major Dickason's blend, my favorite. I never buy Starbucks at a store.

I started drinking regularly after I had my first baby. I needed to wake up enough drive to work in the morning.

LLJsM: :wavey:

The caffeine help stave off headaches, eh? And tastes good! Peets is a popular brand here I see!

I buy Starbucks K Cups (Barista blends or their specialty anniversary cups) for my Keurig at home--but buy cups of coffee or their hot chocolate. My little treat. I cannot drink Second Cups coffee--gives me acid reflux! :(( Many folks here like Tim Horton's--but I can take it or leave it.

cheers--Sharon

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I started drinking coffee as a baby. My mom would put some in a bottle with milk and sugar. I don't know if it was an Eastern European thing or if she just thought I needed a little boost. (It was the fifties) I remember drinking my bottle of coffee-milk and watching Ernie Kovacs in the morning with my mom. I just assumed my other kid friends were drinking it too.

I drank it everyday of my life until I was diagnosed with Crohns disease in my forties and now it's an occasional treat. I miss it very very much.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love coffee.
Mom and Dad drank coffee all day long, so I started young.
I never went a day without my coffee since I was a teenager, nearly 40 years. About 3 cups each day with half & half.
Until January of this year.
I had my blood pressure checked and it was high. I realized that the caffeine was making me agitated.
I was concerned because hypertension runs in my family.
As an experiment , I switched to chai tea, and my BP dropped considerably. So, I mostly have chai every morning, and the occasional decaf from the coffee house.
I miss it soooo much.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy these 3-lb bags of whole-bean Colombian Supremo @ Costco.
Usually around $14.50 they had them for $3 off so I bought 5 bags.
$4.83/lb is WAY cheap for such good coffee, but $3.83 is a steal.
IIRC it comes out to around 13 cents a cup including the paper filter.

I store most of the 3-lbs in a Foodsaver vacuum bag and a small amount in a ziplock ... all in the freezer.
I grind beans for one cup moments before use.

The used grounds and even the paper filter get fed to my worm vermicluture to make organic fertilizer.

I drink only one cup a day.
Maybe once a month I'll drink a second cup in the afternoon.
Here's my 'coffee maker' that I bought at a thrift store decades ago for 25 cents IIRC.

Cheapest coffee filters I've found are at Big Lots since my Costco no longer carries them.
I started a thread on why ... basically Costco is in bed with Keurig. :knockout:

Tightwad that I am I have not bought coffee outside our home for many years.
Maybe I will when I find it for 12 cents a cup for Columbia Supremo, that is if they feed the grounds and filter to their worms after use.

_733.png

_735.png

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
This is a fun, light topic! I like learning about people's preferences for mundane things like this!

I'm a coffee lover too, but not a heavy coffee drinker. I have 1 cup most mornings, but I skip some days and have 2 cups on others. I usually just have drip coffee, but we also have a bialetti 'espresso' machine that I really like and use sometimes. The bialetti is a little more work and a lot more mess, so most mornings I'm not motivated enough to use it.

I almost always buy our coffee from trader joes. I don't buy any one variety with any consistency, but I do prefer light to medium roasts. I also love cold brew coffee from trader joes.

I typically take my coffee black, but I love the occasional treat of an iced latte or coffee sweetened with a bit of sugar and lightened with half n' half. I also discovered a new coffee obsession when I was in Italy over the summer: the shakeratto: espresso and a drop of sambucca shaken vigorously in a cocktail shaker with lots of ice. Yummyyyyy!!!

I usually don't drink coffee after noon, as the caffeine sometimes affects me but on special occasions I love an espresso or black coffee with dessert.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh love this thread Sharon, thank you.

I LOVE coffee and have been drinking it since I was a teenager. Black. It's the only way I have ever had it and only way I will ever have it. I add a bit of Stevita to it though.

My favorite are rich dark roasts but also enjoy medium and light roasts. We drink only organic coffee. Either from Whole foods or Costco. Before we started drinking only organic (a few years ago) my favorite non organic brand was Dunkin Donuts. We enjoy both whole bean and ground organic coffee and depending on our mood prepare either.

I drink about 2-3 cups in the morning as does my dh. I don't drink it after 8AM or so but my dh occasionally has coffee in the afternoon.

Nothing beats the smell of coffee first thing in the morning. Sigh. :halo:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm currently limited to one a day (pregnant) but I enjoy a variety! At home, on the weekends, I use my nespresso to make a double shot latte usually with some caramel syrup. During the week I either bring from home (Trader Joe's cold brew concentrate with some half and half and whole milk) or if I'm rushing I'll grab a cheap (hot) cup from Mcds with cream (no sugar) or if I need some sugar an iced from D&D with caramel swirl and cream. I'm all over the place, lol.

My real favorites though are very dark roasted. I love love love the super dark nespresso pods and I'll make a macchiato at home with them. So much yumminess to be had!

I also really have to highlight the cold brew, or even better, cold brew concentrate. I've only just heard of it in the last few months and it has changed the game for me for cold coffee (which is actually my real favorite). It is so intense and since you generally want a lot of fat to balance it out it has an amazing mouth feel. I make mine lighter than most, with half and half and whole milk, but I've had it with straight up heavy cream (obviously you don't drink much) and it is just amazing. A real treat.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I forgot about espresso. YUMMY. :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: I used to have an espresso a day when I was in Europe for the whole summer. I got the best espresso in Italy. OMG that was heaven.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results