shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite?

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
I purchased a "peridot" ring today but I think it is alexandrite or chrysoberyl. It glows very brightly under UV light and can change from near clear to a vibrant lime green depending on lighting. If you know what this is please tell me, thanks. DSCN1017.JPG DSCN1016.JPG I tried to get the green I got earlier but we have overcast now so it isn't as vibrant as earlier. DSCN1015.JPG

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, it is synthetic Spinel. I have a similar ring. The colour is very pretty, being Spinel it’s also a hard wearing gem as well so suitable for everyday wear.
Colour change gems are identified by their colour change in daylight light compared to the colour they turn under incandescent light ie candle light.
Alexandrite is typically a teal green colour in daylight and under incandescent light turns to a purple red colour. Under UV light it glows an orangish colour.
There are other gems like garnet, sapphire and fluorite that change colour under different light sources.
UV light only detects fluorescence not colour change. For example white diamonds can glow blue under UV light. Synthetic blue sapphire can glow red under UV light.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
Hi, it is synthetic Spinel. I have a similar ring. The colour is very pretty, being Spinel it’s also a hard wearing gem as well so suitable for everyday wear.
Colour change gems are identified by their colour change in daylight light compared to the colour they turn under incandescent light ie candle light.
Alexandrite is typically a teal green colour in daylight and under incandescent light turns to a purple red colour. Under UV light it glows an orangish colour.
There are other gems like garnet, sapphire and fluorite that change colour under different light sources.
UV light only detects fluorescence not colour change. For example white diamonds can glow blue under UV light. Synthetic blue sapphire can glow red under UV light.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help greatly.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, I feel pretty confident that it's uranium vaseline glass. A quick google search yields dozens of nearly identical results, and uranium causes the bright green UV glow.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
Actually, I feel pretty confident that it's uranium vaseline glass. A quick google search yields dozens of nearly identical results, and uranium causes the bright green UV glow.

Thank you very much. It looks like I need to buy a second UV light that does the high wave lengths to solve this mystery. I have a sterling ring with what I assumed to be uranium glass that I now wonder about too. I am also noticing that the uranium/spinel rings on ebay put both in title. As to value it probably doesn't matter much but I would like to know :)

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Seems like synthetic spinel/uranium vaseline glass are the same thing. I would not buy anything to test the stone because it’s not particularly valuable. I assume the setting is 10k gold or gold plate at best; I would consider it to be costume jewelry. IMO a price of $200+ is significantly inflated.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
Seems like synthetic spinel/uranium vaseline glass are the same thing. I would not buy anything to test the stone because it’s not particularly valuable. I assume the setting is 10k gold or gold plate at best; I would consider it to be costume jewelry. IMO a price of $200+ is significantly inflated.

It was 10k and I paid scrap plus tax so I didn't pay for the stone anymore than I do any ring. I think I'll buy the light, not much, because natural spinel can "glow" under black light high band from what I read and can be worth a fair amount. In any case I like the ring and I appreciate your help, thank you again.

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
I promise you it is not a natural spinel. Natural spinel simply does not come in that shade of green. Your ring is nearly identical to this: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/vintage-uranium-vaseline-glass-ring.64608/

I believe you. Plan on getting high range uv light to see what fake looks like as opposed to real. I'm looking at some GIA certified pieces on Ebay so I can study it and learn to spot it. Might be able to make decent money with a black light at pawn shops :)

AndrewAWoody

Rough_Rock
I promise you it is not a natural spinel. Natural spinel simply does not come in that shade of green. Your ring is nearly identical to this: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/vintage-uranium-vaseline-glass-ring.64608/

I'm studying up on Spinel. Most pawn shops don't know gems and a quality spinel can get some decent money. My man made one has no magnetic qualities which apparently real ones do. I'm taking my black light and magnet out to treasure hunt this week ;-) Once I get good at finding the real stuff I might pick another gem to learn about.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not all spinels are magnetic, depends on the iron content. You're more likely to pick up garnets (when loose) with a magnet than anything else because they get dragged (although not all Garnets).
Magnetism can also be really faint sometimes and hard to detect.
Iron can make stones look brown thus less valuable, so magnetism isn't really telling you anything about the value of the stone. If I had to chose between two red gems using a magnet, I'd chose the one that doesn't drag, might be a ruby and not a dirt cheap garnet.

It literally takes years of seeing thousands of stones/ pictures of stones, to really create your own mental library on how real stones look like, but you are in the right place, so enjoy!

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Hi I'm new to the Alexandrite world. I have (sadly) purchased a ring through an auction and I think I got conned. Any Experts able to tell me if my ring is worth anything? I paid $2K USD for it (I'm canadian). Obviously for that price its not going to be nice colour. Its a Kiwi green and changes to a redish purple brown. The ring in question is on my pointer finger (the one on my middle is also an Alex but tiny and nice colour change).

Is this a colour changing Chrysoberyl by strict definition? Its not a strong colour change. its about 1.4 Carats, quite clean.

Being in Canada its hard to find someone to appraise it.
any thoughts? I'm trying to get it returned, but having some trouble- obviously was mislead by the person that sold it to me, but not sure if its worthwhile keeping.

20200619_134707.jpg 20200619_134830.jpg 20200619_134723(0).jpg

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
p.s: the colour is hard to capture, but since its not a great CC, its slightly more green in day light, and a little more brown indoors at night.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow the small ring is beautiful!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could fall under the category of Alexandrite, just not so great quality due to not so desired colour change. Chrysoberyl tends to be yellowish to greenish.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! yes. I think i'm unlucky with Alex's haha. That was bought in mexico. yikes. but supposedly a reputable larger chain store, from the "mark henry" collection, and they keep saying the paperwork for the ring are on its way, but its been like almost 8 months and i haven't received it. but ... I hope it is a real Alex :) and the sentimental value, i will treasure (it was a push present :) )

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Could fall under the category of Alexandrite, just not so great quality due to not so desired colour change. Chrysoberyl tends to be yellowish to greenish.

This is yellowish green.... o! you mean it should change to green? it changes to a brownish colour for sure. So its it just a less desirable Alex?

worth the 2k? The seller keeps telling me its a great price! but IDK.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrysoberyl, if it shifts, tends to be yellow to greenish or vice versa. They typically don't go from yellowish green to brown, hence I think this one has a chance to be considered Alexandrite, just less desirable. Price-wise, kinda overpriced. If the setting is included in the price, then it's not so bad.

2.9 ct with green to some sort of brownish green for $2.7K

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Chrysoberyl, if it shifts, tends to be yellow to greenish or vice versa. They typically don't go from yellowish green to brown, hence I think this one has a chance to be considered Alexandrite, just less desirable. Price-wise, kinda overpriced. If the setting is included in the price, then it's not so bad.

2.9 ct with green to some sort of brownish green for $2.7K

Thanks! Yes. My fault. I only discovered MC.com after I bought this ring and looked up the value of the stone.... But I really appreciate your reply. Yes it came with the setting/ring and I assume "diamonds" gosh, i dont even know if those are real too LOL

But thanks for the knowledge on the CC Chrysoberyls. I didnt know that they did not go to brown/red. :) A bit of a piece of mind!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AndrewAWoody I can categorically tell you to rule out Alexandrite for your ring I'm afraid. As for what it could be? Well there are so many possibilities but if it was an expensive buy then you should send to a lab.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results