shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite

gary sankes

Rough_Rock
I'M thinking of buying a 8.98 Brazilian Alexandrite. It has a AGL Cert. stating it is Classic Brazil with a 90-100% color change.It also has an Jewelfolio from the AGL. He's asking $40,000 a carat is this a fair price?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should click on Report Concern and get this moved to the Colored Stones forum...you'll probably get more input there.
Please post pics if you have any...I'm sure folks are going to want to see.

gary sankes

Rough_Rock
You should click on Report Concern and get this moved to the Colored Stones forum...you'll probably get more input there.
Please post pics if you have any...I'm sure folks are going to want to see.
ok how do I do that. Move to colored stones and post a picture from an email?????

40,000 per carat? that makes uhm,... a-lot.
I have zero idea about fair BUT in that price range all paperwork should be tiptop and double checked and unless you are a pro (or count that kind of cash as pocket change) you should probably find 3rd parties to help you.

gary sankes

Rough_Rock
40,000 per carat? that makes uhm,... a-lot.
I have zero idea about fair BUT in that price range all paperwork should be tiptop and double checked and unless you are a pro (or count that kind of cash as pocket change) you should probably find 3rd parties to help you.
what is the price range of high end Alex's in the 9 carat range. it has the Jewelfolio from the AGL which is only given to the best gems i've been told.

gary sankes

Rough_Rock
I did buy a Kashmir Sapphire from the same dealer.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Gary,
You have moved up and away from the help of an internet forum. The only Alexandrite expert that I know of is David Weinburg, of Multicolour.com. He has a 7.5 carat listed for 90k, but even that is small change compared to your stone.
Please listen to other's advice and get some trusted help. Maybe that is the area where we can help. Send an email to David and see what he says.
Take it very slowly, be very, very cautious, and good luck!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One question, have you seen the stone? The best Brazilian Alex I ever saw was 4 ct but plump cushion cut, so 100% color change was all over the stone. Many Braziliam alexes are emerald cut for weight, and while they might be 100% shift, the daytime color is far from perfect. For the price they charge, both daytime and nighttime colors have to be exceptional. Not just 100% change. Alexandrites are phenomenal stones, which to me means...well, curiosity, but don't jump into buying one unless you have seen it in different lights, and liked all of the colors!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is the color quality, tone, clarity, cutting? For that price/ct, I'd want perfection.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results