shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flyingharp

Rough_Rock
These first got my interest purely because of their pleochroism (red under incandescent/green under fluorescent light)

Now, can anyone settle for me the question of heat sensitivity of alexandrite. The story so far...

I am making a pendant with a diamond and an alexandrite, both in half-bezel settings (my first project, so don''t laugh!)

I was so excited in finishing off the settings when I realized I''d forgotten to solder on the thing the chain hangs on. Duh!
rolleyes.gif

So, would it be safe to coat the piece in thermogel and easy solder the (thing the chain hangs on) on, or do I have to unmount the alexandrite?

I have found quite conflicting info so far on the internet: Alexandrite has a high heat sensitivity... sensitive to EXTREME heat... caution when soldering...

What''s the real story with alexandrite, then?

adamas

Rough_Rock
tough tough call....
in theory, it should take heat and won't be affected by pickle.
on the other hand, unsetting it increases the potential for breakage.
If it was mine, i'd go for the heat, i'm assuming it's one solder with a medium. If it is a customers, i'd be thinking hard about a unset, customers risk situation.

flyingharp

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply, Adamas!

Well, it soldered fine! With heaps of thermogel and fingers and everything crossed!

Phew! It's away to the assay office to get hallmarked now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results