shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite Sources

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Ok now I am an addicted gem buyer now. My benitoite is barely paid off and I decided I want an Alexandrite. I mean it is my birthstone. "I justified the Beni since it was my state stone" hehehe

I have looked online and two Thai companies appear to have the nicestcollection but I am afraid to buy from a non North American Company sight unseen. Any one know some American or Canadian sources for this rare stone?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
how big do you want? richard m has one in his gallery right now
3.gif

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Yes I saw that. It is a perfect size but I am desiring more of a dramatic color change. I am looking for anything under .7 carat, and eyeclean, cut reasonalby well of course with a super color change.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Oh that one is nice! I was looking at this one too but I am not sure about the company. The color change is very dramatic in these too. I hope they don't photoshop! It is multicolour.com.

alex68.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Kimberly
....but I am desiring more of a dramatic color change.
Actually, I think Richard M''s alex is very pretty. The "down side" of some alexandrite with dramatic cc is that the stone is often pretty dark...in either incarnation..

Cherrypicked has a small pair...about 4x3mm each, if that''s of interest to you. They don''t show a picture of the cc, but according to their grading system, it is described as "strong +":

widget

702lg.jpg

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Thanks wid. Will go look at cherry picked now.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/20/2006 8:57:26 PM
I was looking at this one too but I am not sure about the company. The color change is very dramatic in these too. I hope they don''t photoshop!

Hi,

Photographing color-change stones is very difficult. I can''t speak for all suppliers but most do PhotoShop the color change. I don''t. I photograph my own stones and the color change is represented as accurately as possible in daylight fluorescent and incandescent lights. Monitors vary however!

Because not all viewing situations offer ''pure'' daylight or ''pure'' incandescent, the two colors are often mixed in ''real life'' wearing situations. Also, color temperatures -- and therefore stone colors -- vary depending on the time of day, distance from the equator and the specific type of light source.

I''ve devoted a lot of study to alexandrite and if I can help with any questions feel free to email me. Just go to my Gallery, click on any image, then on the box that says "Msg User." I may be able to help with sourcing stones from other suppliers.

Richard M.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that one is nice! I was looking at this one too but I am not sure about the company. The color change is very dramatic in these too. I hope they don''t photoshop! It is multicolour.com.
a real give away about photoshopped colors is having the exact same light and shadow patterns in the two pics. you can tell very easily that the image you posted is photoshopped.
7.gif
did you see the oval color change garnet that richard has available? it has a pretty dramatic color change that is alexandrite like the one you posted.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that one is nice! I was looking at this one too but I am not sure about the company. The color change is very dramatic in these too. I hope they don't photoshop! It is multicolour.com.

They do... but for a pretty good reason - these stones are hard to photograph! Really HARD... and the store has quite some inventory. Questions about how well pictures represent one stone or another are welcome, as far as I know and answers do not often praise the merchandise (actually, quite on the contrary).

With color change gems, it looks like some photographers prefer to control the lighting (the hard way), other go photoshop (the easy way). Either way, the camera refuses to see what humans do
7.gif
To me, either changing color temperature to unusual extremes or photoshop are just as 'artificial' and either is motivated by the difficulty of the task. And this is why I am not too angry on photoshopped pictures for this particular type (color change gems).

Just an opinion...

I've asked at Multicolour about their color change roster when they brought in some color change garnet (last month? anyway a couple of weeks back). The conversation erred to alexandrite and I've been told that the smallest really great color changer they have is a pear - this one. You may want to do the same and ask for the seller's recommendation for a stone between half a carat and 1 carat. I haven't asked that.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Wow that pear is nice! However I have pear rubies and a pear benitoite so that is to much fruit! Also outta the alex budget. I figured that colour change was to darn good to be true and the pics looked too identical.

Rich-Wow are you the guy that wrote my Christmas present ? HeHeHe-read it the first night.Opps nope that's Richard Wise Sorry!

Thanks and I may take you up on your offer. I feel funny about the sourcing thing though.

Hey what about that color change garnet. Now that's nice too. Is that Garnet avail still Rich?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/21/2006 12:42:02 AM
Hey what about that color change garnet. Now that''s nice too. Is that Garnet avail still Rich?

Yes, it''s still available.

Richard M.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Actually you got some gorgeous stuff in that there gallery. But there are not alot of prices or stone info. My message thing is not working and I can't locate a regular website for you. Is there one? I actually like a couple stones there.

Gonna put the alexandrite on hold until I can see them in person and spend my Xmas money on something else.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/21/2006 3:42:58 PM
Actually you got some gorgeous stuff in that there gallery. But there are not alot of prices or stone info. My message thing is not working and I can''t locate a regular website for you. Is there one? I actually like a couple stones there.

Work on my website is progressing but not it''s quite ready yet. Follow the instructions I gave in the last paragraph of my 9:19:18 post above and you''ll find my email address. I''ll be happy to answer any questions. I don''t know if you clicked on the Gallery images but there''s quite a bit of stone info, etc. there.

Richard M.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberly- Alexandrite is my birthstone as well! It will be awhile before I ever own one. I will be watching this thread closely
2.gif
I can''t wait to see what you end up with!

TKC

Shiny_Rock
I like alexandrite so much. It is a really gorgeous stone. Here are some of my Alexandrite collection I want to share
21.gif
This is 0.88 carat. The color changes from I would say emerald green (quite glowing) or sometimes demantoid green (very good brilliance) to deep purple with some pink flashes. The color change is quite dramatic. I don''t know if it is called 100% color change? Anyone knows? I think it is quite difficult to determine the percentage of color change. It is a quite well cut stone.
The color changes from this color in daylight .......

NAlexGrntoPrTanz 0.88ct. 1B3.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
To ........... under my bathroom light (recessed light) or incandescent light.

NAlexGrntoPrTanz 0.88ct. 1C2.jpg

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Loverly just Loverly!
I have put the Alex on a back burner as I don''t think such a special stone can be bought w/o seeing in person.When I get one I will post and I hope it is 1/2 as nice as yours!

My fickle persona has changed to Garnets for the moment. I am writting a list. hehehehehe

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
any particular type of garnet? i''m rather fond of spessartite....as is Mine. but there are others equally nice and very worthy of consideration.

movie zombie

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
I love your orange stone! For moi though I am drawn to the Green ones. I find Demitiod a bit yellow for me and now think a brillaint cut Tsavorite will satisfy me for awhile.

Then of course I saw a killer pinky/red one done by R.Homer and a lovely one on R. Martin''s collection as well. Ahhhh so many stones. So little money.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results