shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite Selection & Windows

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it better than the still photos and find it to be a pretty stone with a clear color change. One of the things I like about it is how light the blue/green colorway is so it is not all muddled but a proper shade of cool color. Same with the red, though on the red side, its really more taupeish brownish red, which I think is what you wanted anyway. The window in the stone looks manageable with the right setting just as LD has done.

As an fyi, I know you know that David has the best prices but I have been waiting to find one from him that I want and the prices are jumping considerably as he uses up his old stock and replaces it with new, more expensive to procure, rough material. In other words, you fell in love with a good, well priced stone and it is likely that if you don't purchase one like this now, I'm afraid to say you will likely pay more later. I agree - get this one in hand and decide. My personal feeling is that this is a keeper for you.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks much for posting the additional pic, LD. That helps a lot! I am happy to say we have decided to buy the stone and i am so happy. I sent David an email asking him to hold it, as we are driving (literally at this moment) to Tennessee. As corny as it sounds, my heart literally swells with love when I watch that video. I cannot wait to see it in person and be able to look at it every day. And I thank you all for your advice & information, pictures, etc. I will certainly follow up once she is officially mine. :D

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1364535132|3415779 said:
Thanks much for posting the additional pic, LD. That helps a lot! I am happy to say we have decided to buy the stone and i am so happy. I sent David an email asking him to hold it, as we are driving (literally at this moment) to Tennessee. As corny as it sounds, my heart literally swells with love when I watch that video. I cannot wait to see it in person and be able to look at it every day. And I thank you all for your advice & information, pictures, etc. I will certainly follow up once she is officially mine. :D

I am really really really pleased for you. This is EXACTLY what buying gemstones is all about! I'm sure you're going to be thrilled. For me, alex is such a special romantic stone and I hope it brings you much love xxx

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Alex is supposed to arrive tomorrow (per FedEx's website). To say I am excited to see it in person is a gross understatement. LOL

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1365392979|3422398 said:
My Alex is supposed to arrive tomorrow (per FedEx's website). To say I am excited to see it in person is a gross understatement. LOL

The only thing I would say to you is get yourself in the frame of mind that it's going to be horrible, arrive chipped and you'll hate it. That way, you're likely to love it. If you think you'll love it then it may not live up to expectations! I know that sounds odd but I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me!

Looking forward to your review.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping it is as expected!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it did indeed arrive, safely, well packaged, with noted documentation from seller, etc. He (David @ Multicolour) gets an AAA+++ for packaging the item to ensure it's safe arrival. I literally was on pins & needles all morning, constantly refreshing the FedEx shipping status window to see where it was, as the delivery would occur in another area of the building that I work in, than my office is located.

Now, the Alex ... I do love it, and I love the teal-green/blue color it has in most lights. It's as beautiful as I'd imagined. But (yes, you sensed the 'but' coming) I really wish I could figure out how to replicate the incandescent light and see the mauvy/dusty rose color shown in the picture & video. I feel like - until I see that first-hand with my own two eyes, something's 'missing' that keeps me from falling completely in love with it, if that makes sense. I guess I sort of imagined that if I was in a dimly lit room, BAM! There it would be. But that's not the case. Can anyone suggest a lighting source for allowing me to see that same/similar color? Do I need to light a candle in my closet to see it? LOL I just want to get a sense for what scenarios I can/will expect to see that shift in color.

Size-wise, for some reason, it seems smaller in person than I expected it would be for a 2 ct gem. I am not overly 'put off' by this though because I had made a colored, paper cut out to as close to the noted dimensions as possible to see what sort of finger coverage it would provide, and it's pretty darn close. I think I was (in my mind) comparing it to a 1 ct diamond I have, and thinking 'well, it'll be twice that size", but I know that's not the case when comparing a square cut stone to a pear. So I'm good there, and happy ... when I set it on my finger, and envision it in the setting we have in mind, I know it will be beautiful.

As for the window, I do see it, and I am a bit concerned about it. I had made an appt with a local, well-respected/regarded jeweler for yesterday afternoon when I placed the order for the Alex (I was NOT wasting any time, LOL) to review it with him and get his thoughts about settings and how (if at all) that window might be minimized. I want to ensure that I am 100% happy with the stone and as close to sure I'll be happy with what it will look like once set while I am in the 10-day inspection window for returns. This is my first time with a gem of this caliber, quality, cost, etc (outside of diamonds), and it's my first time working with this jeweler. But he has done extensive work with Alex in the past, is confident he can set it for me without any harm to the color change properties, etc. He feels like - as for the window - it will be minimized once set and it won't be as noticeable when it's on my finger, which is where it will be once the customization is completed.

Overall, I am pleased with the purchase and the appearance of the stone. Next steps are: 1) dropping Alex off in morning for appraisal tomorrow (for insurance); and, 2) follow-up with jeweler on what he was able to arrive at for the setting we want (at the end of the day). He said he can create the entire ring from scratch for me (and quoted that price, which is almost as much as the Alex itself ... a little surprising), but might also be able to find a similar setting in existence already and make the couple slight mods to it we want for a bit less, but still not 'cheap' by any means).

I'll attach my "artistic rendering" (from PowerPoint, LOL) and would appreciate any thoughts/feedback on the setting we're looking to do. It's a trinity knot (that I saw on another website), but adding two white sapphires (one on each side set within the knot itself). I'd like it to be crafted in Palladium vs. WG.

alex_ring_2.png

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Alexandrite has a very high specific gravity, so carat for carat it's going to look smaller than most gems. As for the color change, I'm kind of baffled by this, mine changes readily under overhead incandescent lighting. Even in broad day light on my screened in porch with the overhead incandescent light on, it shifts readily.

Edit: After looking again at the pictures Multicolour posted (I had your stone mixed up with another one from a previous thread) it doesn't appear this stone is going to give you a night and day difference as far as color goes.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1365532749|3423416 said:
Alexandrite has a very high specific gravity, so carat for carat it's going to look smaller than most gems. As for the color change, I'm kind of baffled by this, mine changes readily under overhead incandescent lighting. Even in broad day light on my screened in porch with the overhead incandescent light on, it shifts readily.

Edit: After looking again at the pictures Multicolour posted (I had your stone mixed up with another one from a previous thread) it doesn't appear this stone is going to give you a night and day difference as far as color goes.

Thanks Greg. I knew the actual colors wouldn't be as vivid in change as other Alex's, but was expecting something close to what was in the video. And the advertisement said "moderate to strong color change". When I walk into my living room, which only has slight light from outdoors due to curtains/blinds, I thought I would see the mauvy coloring in there, but it's only very slightly at certain angles; not really at all like the video (maybe 15% of the stone). Maybe if I was near an actual incandescent light source (bulb), it would be more pronounced? Obviously the video lighting is set up for ideal conditions so I don't expect it to mirror that appearance, but, the mauve color is what hooked me on this particular stone. If its not realistic that I will see much of that, and only the teal color, well, I might have been/be better off with a different stone or type altogether. :cry:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
JoCoJenn|1365537587|3423480 said:
GregS|1365532749|3423416 said:

Thanks Greg. I knew the actual colors wouldn't be as vivid in change as other Alex's, but was expecting something close to what was in the video. And the advertisement said "moderate to strong color change". When I walk into my living room, which only has slight light from outdoors due to curtains/blinds, I thought I would see the mauvy coloring in there, but it's only very slightly at certain angles; not really at all like the video (maybe 15% of the stone). Maybe if I was near an actual incandescent light source (bulb), it would be more pronounced? Obviously the video lighting is set up for ideal conditions so I don't expect it to mirror that appearance, but, the mauve color is what hooked me on this particular stone. If its not realistic that I will see much of that, and only the teal color, well, I might have been/be better off with a different stone or type altogether. :cry:
Yes, I'd definitely recommend finding an incandescent light source before you write this stone off. So when you're in your living room I'm assuming there is a source of incandescent light? Not fluorescents?

I enjoy observing my alexandrite in my kitchen. The kitchen has under cabinet fluorescents and ceiling incandescents. So I place the stone under the fluorescents and slowly draw it out under the incandescents. It gives me a good feel for the color change as well as being entertaining. If you have access to an area like this in your home I highly suggest giving it a try.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am probably a little "ignorant" of light sources to know what is truly "incandescent". I guess I should look for an old school light bulb? Most of what we have around the house are the tubular fluorescent bulbs.

ETA - when I was in the living room earlier, it was with a small amount of natural daylight only; no artificial light source.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just went through my house with the stone to every light we have and found one that was able to produce the swift color change, though it wasn't as light as that in the video. But that's probably because it was one small light in an otherwise very dark room. My jeweler said he would have a light source to replicate it for me as well ... Just gotta wait till tomorrow.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Tubular lights are fluorescent. Problem solved, I'm glad it changed for you.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not baffled by you struggling to see the colour change as I think I mentioned at the beginning that this thread that the stone has a weak to moderate colour change. It's not strong by any means. However, the thing with Alex is that you shouldn't have to do anything to get it to change. If it doesn't change when you're in your house in the evening with electric lights on then there's a problem. Daylight or any natural form of daylight will show the green. Mixed colourways will vary rarely show in strong colour changers but in weak colour changers you'll see it at dusk when lights are on in the house but there's still light outside. In very very very very very weak colour changes, the only thing you'll see indoors at nightime will be mixed colourways because it will struggle to change.

In terms of your jeweller if he's said that he's confident to mount the stone without harming the colour changing properties, I'd run a mile! There's no way you can affect them! They're basically inherent in the material of the stone.

I love your design and actually have a couple of rings very similar. It suits an Alex.

I'm guessing that you're keeping it?

BTW, here's a video that shows the colour change of one that's strong. This video is taken in daylight and the camera can't capture the grass green but as the stone moves into the kitchen where the lights are on (despite it being daylight) you can see the change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYE8g-rcKI8

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what you need is an incandescent light bulb to see the purple side which is less common now in homes and businesses.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting that video, LD. Very helpful to have a color change comparison. When I am in my house with minimal natural light and the regular overhead lights (old school bulbs) it is still the teal/green color, as is the case under fluorescents. Only when I had it near the one "incandescent" bulb did it change, and it was fairly quickly. Maybe it's the lighting in my house ... My office has typical fluorescent bulbs & LEDs so no hope there. I am having the appraisal today, and will wait to see what the jeweler says after that to decide for sure about keeping it. I remember you saying you thought the color change might be weak, but David advertised it mod-to-strong, so I wasn't sure what to expect in that respect really.

As for the jeweler comment about setting it without impacting the coloring, that was in response to me telling him that I read that extremely high heat sources can impact the color change properties of the Alex and thus care must be taken during setting. He said it would not be an issue. Maybe what I read about that is wrong??? Thoughts?

As always, thanks so much for the input & feedback. Very appreciated! There are a lot of factors at play here ... Coloring, window, etc., so it's not an easy process.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1365600669|3423953 said:
I think what you need is an incandescent light bulb to see the purple side which is less common now in homes and businesses.

Agreed. I may buy a few today for the overhead lights in my living room so it's not just one bulb from a small lamp in my bedroom. Small investment to pay to ensure I am going to be happy with the stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1365600756|3423954 said:
Thanks for posting that video, LD. Very helpful to have a color change comparison. When I am in my house with minimal natural light and the regular overhead lights (old school bulbs) it is still the teal/green color, as is the case under fluorescents. Only when I had it near the one "incandescent" bulb did it change, and it was fairly quickly. Maybe it's the lighting in my house ... My office has typical fluorescent bulbs & LEDs so no hope there. I am having the appraisal today, and will wait to see what the jeweler says after that to decide for sure about keeping it. I remember you saying you thought the color change might be weak, but David advertised it mod-to-strong, so I wasn't sure what to expect in that respect really.

As for the jeweler comment about setting it without impacting the coloring, that was in response to me telling him that I read that extremely high heat sources can impact the color change properties of the Alex and thus care must be taken during setting. He said it would not be an issue. Maybe what I read about that is wrong??? Thoughts?

As always, thanks so much for the input & feedback. Very appreciated! There are a lot of factors at play here ... Coloring, window, etc., so it's not an easy process.

Not correct I'm afraid. Heat doesn't affect Alex at all and most definitely doesn't make the colour change occur or disappear. It's totally unaffected by heat (unless of course you stick it in a freezer or a volcano and then something may happen to the stone - most likely to crack it!!!! Setting is not a problem and actually, it's a very durable stone and rates alongside sapphires and rubies for durability. Also because it's untreated, there are no nasties lurking inside that could issues during the setting process (although natural inclusions could be harmful but that's the same with any stone).

If anybody ever tries to sell you an Alex by passing a lighter underneath it so you can watch the colour change RUN! This means it's synthetic! Natural alex won't react to heat. HTH.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour change property of alexandrite is unaffected by heat and definitely not affected when setting it. This is an easy stone to set as it is very durable and untreated.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LD. I wish I could recall where I read that ... I seem to recall it being a reputable source, but I could be mistaken on that. But the jeweler indicated it wasn't a problem so maybe that is why he said it. I will clarify with him for sure though. He has set (and personally owns) several Alex pieces so I am comfortable with him in that respect.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1365604548|3423980 said:
The colour change property of alexandrite is unaffected by heat and definitely not affected when setting it. This is an easy stone to set as it is very durable and untreated.

Thank you, Chrono. Appreciate the input as well.

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am sure your jeweller is just trying to reassure you without bogging you down with extra or confusing info. There is no heat involved in setting a stone, so it is absolutely no issue even if the stone reacted badly to heat (which it doesn't). You will be safe.

I just want to add that you should not feel bad if you decide you don't love it enough to keep it. Give it a couple days, and then go with your heart and don't be be afraid to keep or return it based on your feelings.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Euphony|1365611919|3424053 said:
I am sure your jeweller is just trying to reassure you without bogging you down with extra or confusing info. There is no heat involved in setting a stone, so it is absolutely no issue even if the stone reacted badly to heat (which it doesn't). You will be safe.

I just want to add that you should not feel bad if you decide you don't love it enough to keep it. Give it a couple days, and then go with your heart and don't be be afraid to keep or return it based on your feelings.

Thank you. I wonder if I am confusing the heat issue with something I read on another stone type. And I appreciate the reassurance on the purchase of the stone as well. I am not 100% on it yet either way. I am really waiting to get "all the facts" in front of me that factor into the decision so I am making a well-rounded decision on the whole, and not subconsciously compromising one way or another those individual factors, if that makes sense.

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
It makes perfect sense. I just hate returning things, and have really struggled with trying to convince myself that I feel differently then I do because I hate being a "bother". It is one of the reasons I rarely order things of any consequence online. It can be hard sometimes to sort out how I actually feel. You will make a good decision, which ever way it goes. The daylight colour looks fantastic, and that goes a long way for me. :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree - if you don't love it, please send it back. Don't keep it because you think you should love it. It doesn't actually matter what the facts are it's whether you love it or not! A piece of jewellery or a stone should make you smile! You have to want to wear it all the time and love it in all lighting conditions. If you don't then there's no shame in sending it back. Alternatives are colour change garnets that are not as durable so really not an everyday ring BUT you can find the green/purple colourway in them (they're not cheap but would be a good substitute).

I would also add a cautionary note that you said you're getting it appraised? Very few appraisers have seen enough Alex to value correctly. You've bought from one of the foremost authorities on Alex and his prices for older items in stock are phenomenally good!

Hope that helps.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1365620811|3424180 said:
I agree - if you don't love it, please send it back. Don't keep it because you think you should love it. It doesn't actually matter what the facts are it's whether you love it or not! A piece of jewellery or a stone should make you smile! You have to want to wear it all the time and love it in all lighting conditions. If you don't then there's no shame in sending it back. Alternatives are colour change garnets that are not as durable so really not an everyday ring BUT you can find the green/purple colourway in them (they're not cheap but would be a good substitute).

I would also add a cautionary note that you said you're getting it appraised? Very few appraisers have seen enough Alex to value correctly. You've bought from one of the foremost authorities on Alex and his prices for older items in stock are phenomenally good!

Hope that helps.

Thanks LD. I have seen the color change garnets, and they are beautiful. But this will be an everyday wear item, now that my b/f is having it set as an engagement ring for me. I might look at the CC garnets for something else later though ... I saw one on Precision Gems (i think it's called) that was totally drool-worthy, and would definitely be a runner up to the Alex if it were adequate for daily wear.

I do love my stone, color, shape, size, etc. I am a little hung up on the window, so talking with the jeweler about the setting is a primary factor to see what it will do/look like/etc in that regard. And I am a little bummed I haven't seen the color change to the extent the video showed, but again, my lighting sources currently don't allow for that (can't "blame" that on the stone really), so I will change them and see what that does. I do love the daytime color though ... It's eye catchingly beautiful and I can't wait to see it in a setting, if we do decide to keep it. I could live with that color forever, really. I just want to see the incand. lighting change in a better setting than the one small lamp I have in my bedroom. I plan to buy new lights on my way home tonight to put in the living room so hopefully it will be more clear there.

As for the appraisal, that was necessary for insurance purposes; not so much for "peace of mind" or to validate that it is real Alex. I trust David & the many, many people who regard him as an Alex expert. But I wanted to get that done so that we can get the insurance, plus the jeweler can get "familiar" with my stone when he starts working on it (again, assuming we keep it). I know he probably doesn't need to "get familiar" with it, lol ... That's just my crazy logic brain at work. :)

I am a project mgr by profession, so everything in my life tends to work that way. I know like it seems like a lot happening at once, but with a 10 day inspection period, I want to make sure I have all my "requirements" defined when making my "go/no-go decision".

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair enough! Totally understand where you're coming from.

In terms of the window, when you put the Alex on the back of your hand, between two fingers does the window disappear a little? Doing this gives you a feeling for what you can achieve with a fairly closed setting. In order to close the window a bit you will have to have a setting that is cupped at the back (perhaps with some filigree work but not too much). Unfortunately there's no way of totally getting rid of the window but you can help to make it less noticeable.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1365628800|3424279 said:
Fair enough! Totally understand where you're coming from.

In terms of the window, when you put the Alex on the back of your hand, between two fingers does the window disappear a little? Doing this gives you a feeling for what you can achieve with a fairly closed setting. In order to close the window a bit you will have to have a setting that is cupped at the back (perhaps with some filigree work but not too much). Unfortunately there's no way of totally getting rid of the window but you can help to make it less noticeable.

Here is a link to my Flickr album with some close ups ... They were taken with my cell phone which does have a good camera so hopefully you can see them and give me your thoughts. Uploading pics from an iPad seems to not work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94823451@N05/sets/72157633213079217

ETA - while the pics are pretty clear, as you know, capturing the true colors is hard. Where it shows dark blue is really the bright teal/green/blue color, and where it looks purple was taken with the penlight David sent (which was interesting, btw) and is more in the incandescent lighting with mixed coloring.

Do you have example pictures of the setting you suggest might help close the window a bit? I am not familiar with the terms and different "baskets" the Alex should sit in that might help.

Also, the appraisal came back at $5200, lower than he initially thought primarily due to the cut being "canoe"/native (which we know is typical in these stones) vs a calibrated cut. Otherwise, he said it is a beautiful stone and will make a doubly beautiful ring once set, which would also add to the appraisal value once finished. Thoughts on that? I am not too experienced with appraisals, but that is almost twice what we paid. Mind you, I did not tell him what we paid for it. Should it be higher given the stone rarity, lower and closer to price in your experience? My only concern here is -heaven forbid - we have to file an insurance claim at some point, and need to replace the stone (as opposed to resale value). I know there isn't another like it but I know we could (today) get another one (likely even better quality) with that amount. To me, that seems fair ... But I am no expert here, so any experience or feedback is much appreciated.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking through the close up pics myself, if the setting can achieve that level of "masking" of the window, I think I will be happy with it. I am definitely interested in better understanding what the setting/basket suggestions are that can get me there. Does anyone have a link to some sort of picture/explanation of "basket" (prong area) types so I better understand the references? And I apologize now for probably butchering the terminology.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad (and not surprised) that the stone has been valued at more than you've paid for it BUT I would hope that the jeweller has based his valuation on the basis of "if you lost it, how much would it be to find an equivalent ring" rather than this is what it's worth now - if that makes sense? The value of the stone now is what you paid for it. The valuation from your jeweller is high considering it will be higher once in a setting also but if you're happy paying the insurance premiums for the higher amount then that's fine. Having said that, Alex is increasing in value so if you lost the ring in 4 years, you would want to be able to buy a similar stone so it's not a bad idea having a higher valuation now.

In terms of a setting, here are some examples. The "basket" of a ring, is the bit that the stone's bum sits in! Normally these are open (see photo 1) and all you see is either a space or a ring that supports the bottom of the stone. This type of basket will not be good for your stone because it won't mask the window at all (basically you'll just see straight through the stone to your finger).

In photos 2 and 3 I'm showing you a more enclosed type of setting. Photo 2 is an intricate pierced type of basket. This is lovely to look at BUT I don't think will be enough for your stone. In photo 3 you can see that the basket is almost completely closed. This would most definitely help with minimising a window. What worries me though is that the window is large and if you're hoping it will completely disappear, then based on your photos, I don't think it will.

So, when discussing settings with your jeweller the one thing you must have is a very enclosed basket to help with the window. This can be restrictive but I don't think you'll get a look you want unless you do this.

setting_1r.jpg

setting_1b.jpg

logr_setting_7x7.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results