shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to LaurenThePartier, I now know that I have an Alexandrite stone! (Did I spelll that right?)
Here are some pictures. Tried to get the color change but difficult when one does not have good sunlight in the apt.

DSC00847.JPG

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Another one.

DSC00848.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That''s HUGE. And totally cool. :)

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
that is pretty huge! Does it change from purple to blue/green?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! Is it a real one? I have a lab created one (it''s my birthstone) because they''re just so darned expensive!!
22.gif
It''s pretty chia!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chiapet - May I suggest you get your ring expertly appraised because if it''s a real one it will be worth a fortune? Alexandrite tends to look smaller than its carat weight so I''d guess your ring is around the 5-6ct mark?

If you want to do a little homework yourself you can usually tell a fake from a genuine like this:-

1. With fakes the whole gemstone will change colour and it will be a strong colour change - there will be no weaker areas of colour change. (Some real ones do this too but they''re very difficult to get hold of).
2. Very occasionally you get a reverse colour change with a fake (looking at your photos, yours isn''t one of those). It will be purple outside and green inside under electric light. I''ve seen a number of those!
3. If you have a loupe, have a close look at the gemstones. If it looks clean, or just has what looks like dust particles it''s likely to be fake. A real one (of that size) would be very very very rare if it were clean.

The above is really only a very basic way to sift out obvious fakes. It won''t actually give you a definitive answer. Unfortunately there are some very good fakes around and some even have the same RI as a natural Alexandrite so you may need to take it to have it expertly analysed. Synthetic Alexandrite is commonly found in estate rings as it was incredibly popular years ago but I hope yours turns out to be the real deal! If so, that would be incredibly exciting!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
What a unique and beautiful ring! That setting is really cool!

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! I''m not sure if the stone is real or fake but it belonged to my grandma and is at least 60 years old or so. Which probably explaines the antique setting. I''ll definitely get it looked at by an appraiser. Anyone know of a good appraiser in NYC?
The stone color changes from blue/green outdoors to purple in indoor lighting. From what I''ve read so far, genuine Alexandrites are pretty rare and super expensive!!
Also, does anyone know what''s the best way to clean this stone?

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 6:45:36 AM
Author: chiapet
Thanks everyone! I'm not sure if the stone is real or fake but it belonged to my grandma and is at least 60 years old or so. Which probably explaines the antique setting. I'll definitely get it looked at by an appraiser. Anyone know of a good appraiser in NYC?
The stone color changes from blue/green outdoors to purple in indoor lighting. From what I've read so far, genuine Alexandrites are pretty rare and super expensive!!
Also, does anyone know what's the best way to clean this stone?
Yep. I tried on a three-carat Russian Alexandrite in Tiffany's some months ago. It retailed at $55k. Other than emeralds, this is my favourite type of stone
36.gif
18.gif

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 7:20:18 AM
Author: ursulawrite

Thanks everyone! I''m not sure if the stone is real or fake but it belonged to my grandma and is at least 60 years old or so. Which probably explaines the antique setting. I''ll definitely get it looked at by an appraiser. Anyone know of a good appraiser in NYC?
The stone color changes from blue/green outdoors to purple in indoor lighting. From what I''ve read so far, genuine Alexandrites are pretty rare and super expensive!!
Yep. I tried on a three-carat Russian Alexandrite in Tiffany''s some months ago. It retailed at $55k. Other than emeralds, this is my favourite type of stone
36.gif
18.gif
Where can I find a picture of that ring??? I love anything and everything from Tiffany''s. I''m dying to see that ring you tried on.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Chiapet, nice ring.

ursualawrite, x2 on seeing the 3 ct Tiffany alexandrite, no doubt a dream ring.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Alexandrite; just too bad they are so expensive!
22.gif
You have a treasure there!
30.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 12:02:00 PM

Date: 7/26/2008 7:20:18 AM
Author: ursulawrite

Yep. I tried on a three-carat Russian Alexandrite in Tiffany''s some months ago. It retailed at $55k. Other than emeralds, this is my favourite type of stone
36.gif
18.gif
Where can I find a picture of that ring??? I love anything and everything from Tiffany''s. I''m dying to see that ring you tried on.
They only had one Alexandrite ring in the Fifth Ave store, and there''s no picture online. But if you can wait around four years (my 10th anniversary) I can get back to you with a picture
9.gif

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
LOL Ursula! I''ll be waiting for those pictures!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, Chiapet, thanks for posting these pics!

I have a large "Mexican Alexandite" that has consistent colour change reddish/purple inside, and blue/green outside. I''ve always wanted to get my hands on a 1 ct. genuine Alexandrite!

Let us know what you''re appraiser says!

mara54

Shiny_Rock
Alexandrite''s are one of my favorite stones, I have a small stone that I got from Alaska, could only afford small...lol They have quite a few alexandrite stones so if anyone is going on a trip that is where you should look into some nice stones.

Your ring is gorgeous, enjoy!! The style of the ring is very unique and very outstanding. Love it.
35.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m in the UK and up until a few years ago Alexandrite (genuine not synthetic) was available in a couple of locations. Mainly Indian, Tanzanian and Brazilian but occasionally Russian Alexandrite would appear - although that was only very occasionally and snapped up almost immediately! The largest Alexandrite I have is a 3ct eye clean pear cut with 100% colour change set into a ring with nearly .50ct of diamonds. I wear it almost every day and LOVE it!

This is the daylight colour (and it looks an Emerald green IRL) but green is VERY difficult to photograph in Alexandrite and I can''t photograph gems for toffee!!

Alex306ctcooldaylight-Trim1.jpg

This is the colour I see as soon as I''m in incandescent light. It ranges from purple/red to purple/pink! Yummy!

Alexandrite%203.06ct%20Trim%20for%20Pricescope1.jpg

Sorry about the difference in size of the photos - haven''t quite got the hang of the resizing yet
20.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Alexandite, I have a Russian lab created one (see avatar) I cant afford a real one. I just love color change stones, and LoveDiamonds that ring is beyond awsome
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results