shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite or synthetic?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I'm considering buying this stone but am not sure about whether it's authentic alexandrite. It would be a private party sale and they're us no man documentation. The other party is in another city. The stone does have inclusions which can be seen with a loup. I'm awaiting a more specific description of the inclusions, etc. from the seller. It's not a huge stone as seen in clearly lab created alexandrite, but neither is it small (approx. 8mm long). Any thoughts? Thanks. https://goo.gl/photos/cwvaf5JAma6NitUH6

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Just figured out how to add the photos directly...
Thanks everyone!

2016-10-30_12.png

2016-10-30_0.png

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I'm no expert I'm afraid but the problem is that there are now a number of very good synthetic alexandrite around. There are also other colour change gems ie garnets. Unless it's cheap enough and you love it enough to take the chance, I'd pass. A good clean genuine alexandrite is expensive and if I were the seller I'd be spending the $100 odd to have the gem verified if it were genuine alexandrite to get top price.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
I agree with Bron.
An 8mm long oval would be around 1.50 cts.
The 3rd photo is also typical of synthetics with the inky blue/green colour and purple/red flashes.
It is a misconception that synthetics only come in larger sizes, my supply book shows hydrothermal Sapphire, Ruby and Emerald in ten shapes and calibrated sizes from 1.50 mm upwards.
I'm sure I could get synthetic Alexandrite to.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too risky to purchase without verification. Are they open to having a GG look at it or have the purchase contingent on an AGL brief?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I found it on a sell-what's-in-your-closet style site and decided to pick it up for $100. The seller wasn't sure what kind of stone it was but it's set in a couple of grams of 14k so I can flip it if it doesn't pan out. I'm interested to see it in person and get it under my loup. Thanks for your insight, mates. I didn't realize the mixed color photos were indicative of synthetic alex.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results