shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite opinions

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have been mostly lurking here for info on alexandrites. Despite being a goldsmith, I have had very little experience with the stone, nor does anyone I know. I went to my coloured stone dealer and was extremely disappointed in every stone I saw. They were all dark, and mostly murky. I have found this forum an excellent resource on the subject, and have been stalking stones on multicolour.com for about 4 months.

Then I saw one somewhere else and I was hoping to get some opinions on it: http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9421

I am aware that the colour change is not ideal, but my two favourite colours are teal and purple, so the fact that it does not go to raspberry shades is not a major issue for me. I have spoken with the vendor, and he says that it is more green in daylight then the pictures let on, it just cannot be captured. He also says that the change is very distinctive and that it looks very beautiful in mixed lighting (which is when I like alex's the best :love: ). I like the tone. I love the shape, and I think the cut is quite good for the type of stone we are talking about.

I would love to get some opinions. I was not looking for something quite this big, but it checks a lot of boxes for me even if it is more than I was looking for.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, there is little else except to see the stone in person yourself. There is only so much we can tell by the pictures and description, and Litnon has a good return policy so it is essentially risk free.

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
Absolutely. I just recognize I don't know much about them, so if a more experienced person had criticism, or things to watch out for based on the photo, I am open to blunt truth. I also don't know the EGL, so if someone thought that was not a sufficient cert I figured it would be good to know.

I ordered it before posting. Itchy trigger finger, but I feel at that price it is more than worth judging in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this stone might show some minor cut issues but it might be of an acceptable level to you, given that it's not easy to find an alexandrite that marks all your check boxes. In general, we do not get EGL lab reports but I don't think it is necessary in this case. As long as it is verified that it is a natural stone, that is sufficient since alexandrite has no treatment that I know of.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a great stone but it's an ok stone. I would think that the colour change is reasonably weak judging by the photos. It doesn't surprise me that the vendor can't capture the daylight colour better as it's a nightmare! On the plus side, it's a great size and a very good price for a large stone (which again is why I would say it's "ok" rather than "good"). As you've been stalking the Multicolour site you'll know how much good almost 3ct stones will sell for and that should give you a benchmark.

I agree about the cut issues and also that I wouldn't want an EGL report.

You clearly love it so you must get it because otherwise you'll always wonder "what if". To be honest, you've done the right thing by steering away from anything that looks muddy or anything that is too orange/brown. Good Alex doesn't look like this but because it truly is a "rare" stone in terms of finding good ones/availability it's difficult.

I think somebody else looked at this stone so if you search around on this forum you should find a review from somebody who has seen it in person.

Good luck and if you do get it, I'd be curious to know what you think.

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
I appreciate the feedback. I have read every alex thread I could, and know photos don't mean much for the colour. The vendor seems to think it is quite pretty in both lights. If I like it, I might get the cut touched up. I do see what you are seeing (I thought the culet was damaged at first), but I don't mind the cut being a bit wonky if it is not shallow. I think there would be room to re-cut without horrible loss if it really bothers me.

I have been looking at alex online for a while, and definitely don't want muddy. This forum helped me tremendously in realizing what I am getting into with a shifter. I love the picture where it is mixed, and would be perfectly happy to see that the majority of the time. I set my priorities as: not too dark, reasonable cut, nice daylight colour, noticeable though not necessarily strong change, something I can enjoy in all lighting. I know strong colour change should be the priority, but I just care that I like the colours it shows. I will update when I receive it, as it is on order. I saw a thread where someone saw this stone in person, but they did not review it, as it was the wrong stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely don't recut it. Alex is too precious to do that and the majority of Alex have cut issues. This one has some cut issues but nothing to warrant a recut and loss of weight.

You've mentioned a couple of times about liking the Alex is mixed lighting? You actually very rarely see this with Alex so please don't buy one on that basis.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1365454361|3422769 said:
Definitely don't recut it. Alex is too precious to do that and the majority of Alex have cut issues. This one has some cut issues but nothing to warrant a recut and loss of weight.

You've mentioned a couple of times about liking the Alex is mixed lighting? You actually very rarely see this with Alex so please don't buy one on that basis.

I agree with LD on both counts. The cut is minor enough that I would leave it alone. Also, you will rarely see such a nice mix as shown in the picture so don't expect to see this often.

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
I will just carry a penlight on me at all times, then. :) I appreciate the tamping down of expectations. This is not a big money stone (although it is to me!), so I know I am not getting anything remotely like yours, LD. That would require 5x the budget.

I will give you a full report on the stone. My hopes are that I can see the change and it is not so weak as to be pointless having an alex, and that it be a nice daylight colour. And some sparkle. That is my wishlist. I don't expect a miracle, and realise I am choosing size and daylight colour over the actual change. But if you only have $5000, you just have to make that call. If I get my wish, I will consider this a bargain.

As I am technically trade, I don't know if I can post pictures, but if I can I will.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Euphony|1365514728|3423186 said:
I will just carry a penlight on me at all times, then. :) I appreciate the tamping down of expectations. This is not a big money stone (although it is to me!), so I know I am not getting anything remotely like yours, LD. That would require 5x the budget.

I will give you a full report on the stone. My hopes are that I can see the change and it is not so weak as to be pointless having an alex, and that it be a nice daylight colour. And some sparkle. That is my wishlist. I don't expect a miracle, and realise I am choosing size and daylight colour over the actual change. But if you only have $5000, you just have to make that call. If I get my wish, I will consider this a bargain.

As I am technically trade, I don't know if I can post pictures, but if I can I will.

Based on what you're looking for (and expect) I think you'll be happy with the stone if the colour change is ok. As you're buying it for yourself (and are not selling it on presumably) then I doubt whether there would be a problem you posting photos when you get it. Fingers crossed you love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results