shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite "Brand Name" Mark Henry

IslandBB

Shiny_Rock
Hello:
This is my first time posting here. I am doing research because I am looking to buy a beautiful alexandrite ring. I have been on the hunt since I first discovered they still exist in 2009. I was on a cruise and the brand Mark Henry was touted as some of the finest and best alexandrites. On one of those stops I went over to a jewelry store and got sticker shock at the price- but did fall in love with the stone in person. I couldn't spend thousands, but I did find another jewelry store in the area with a lesser quality alexandrite for less. There was minimal color change, but it was in my budget.
Last year, I recalled the lovely color change of the Mark Henry alexandrite and decided to buy a very teeny tiny pendant that had that wonderful color change. Now I want a ring, but I am wondering if Mark Henry is worth the money, or am I better off getting a loose stone from Multicolour?
Any advice on which I should opt for? I searched the forum, but there is no real discussion of Mark Henry. I am certain you alexandrite experts will have some good advice for me. Thank you for your time!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a general rule, a cruise is probably the worst place to buy jewelry. Everything is over hyped and over priced. Since this retailer basically only sells at cruises or "cruise line approved" stores at ports of call, I would research well before buying.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And, I forgot to add: read the stickie thread "New to coloured gemstone buying? Read this first!" There is a lot of information there.

IslandBB

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. Will go and check out sticky now! And I agree about generally buying from cruises, but I was so taken with the stone I just went for it! I actually decided to check out that first ring I purchased and it's a little better I remember...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Mark Henry stone could also be synthetic. Did it come with a reputable lab report? Just because it was expensive, doesn't mean its real and I would avoid any cruise ship jewelry, as Lady D mentioned. I would go with a well trusted vendor that specializes in alexandrite like Multicolour.com.

IslandBB

Shiny_Rock
Hello:

TL, it came with a UGL certificate. Is that considered reputable when it comes to colored stones?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
IslandBB|1443712794|3933787 said:
Hello:

TL, it came with a UGL certificate. Is that considered reputable when it comes to colored stones?

What the heck is UGL?

Do you have a picture of the cert?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IslandBB|1443712794|3933787 said:
Hello:

I've heard of UGL before. They offer super highly inflated appraisals. I prefer AGL for colored gems. They don't do appraisals, but they're very reputable.

IslandBB

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL, at least it's good to know what I already have is not synthetic! I have decided to wait on the ring purchase and do some more research so that I can have something I'll love for many years to come. I've also had my head turned by a few other stones I've seen here. This is a dangerous place! :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results