shape
carat
color
clarity

Akoya pair earring stud - need advice please

ckrice

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I will be getting my first pair of pearls. Got some photos from Takahashi and I narrowed it down to these two pairs but my untrained eyes are struggling and I am unable to make a final decision, need expert opinions from PSers.

they are 8-8.5mm top grade.

I like the bottom pair color - “more white pink with light blue tones” per customer service

The top pair is more pink but it seems like the top pair has more mirror luster and contrast?

which pair should I pick? Is the top pair slightly more “superior” in luster and contrast? Or are they similar?
I initially picked the bottom pair because the color, and then I waited back and study the pictures again and it seems like the top pair has more luster? So now I can’t decide!

this is the original 5 pairs she provided with me. I asked for bottom left pair for comparison too but she took that pair out since they weren’t matched in size. I didn’t pick the middle row since they are too strongly pinked.
Thank you everyone in advance for your help!

67C104BD-D9CE-4E27-8061-64071985D8AF.jpeg 0622884A-9B6B-476C-AE44-D6D7B370DD30.jpeg ADC9C0A3-C723-4EDA-8CA5-A943EAAD1CDC.jpeg 6C0A3D5D-8590-4531-A7B2-5DFFE85D713C.jpeg 80A20B74-ED3B-44D7-A9B8-66F761D270CC.jpeg A22B9E0B-8F71-4E73-B2AD-505786A56974.jpeg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I bought the 62284. I'm assuming they are all from the same lot !!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How important is a perfect match to you? Both of those are what I would call an "almost match". But I know that I'm quite picky about matching.

I share your preference for the colour of bottom left - too bad they aren't a size match! Maybe find out what they've got in the 7.5-8 or/and 8.5-9mm sizes?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay looking at these again on the computer.

Of the two the top circled pair is more lustrous and contrasty (will look more metallic/iridescent IRL), but the bottom has a blue hue in the overtone that’s super pretty. For me personally “more metallic” always wins, but for someone else - like someone choosing a gift for someone else - I can easily see colour taking priority!

Differences aren’t large by any means. You’d see the difference in direct comparison, but that difference might not be “memorable” (ie. Look at one pair, come back an hour later and look at the other pair - a few people would see that they’re different but the vast majority wouldn’t!)…

I would ask about what’s available in smaller/bigger sizes just to find out, unless you specifically want this size!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree the top pair is more lustrous. But the bottom pair isn’t bad at all, and if you prefer those overtones, you may like those better

ckrice

Rough_Rock
@yssie Thank you so much for your detailed input.=)2 I have learned so much just by reading your comments. I wish I have pearl expert eyes like you! I initially asked about 7.5-8 mm but top grade was not available. 8.5-9 seem a little too large for my small ear lobe for now, perhaps in the future?:lol-2:
Just for my learning purposes, when you say the pairs are "almost match", did you mean in terms of color or size or luster?

@Crystal_Dreams thank you for the input!

So it turns out when I messaged her back, the bottom pair with the blue hue pearls were already set in the setting. Too late to change to the top pair :cry2: but your inputs that the difference of the luster isn't big and the blue hue is pretty, certainly comfort me a lot!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Takahashi has new pearls! @ckrice exactly the size you want too!!

ckrice

Rough_Rock
OMG, I should have waited :'(. I ended up picking the bottom pair with slight blue hue. They are actually on their way to me. I picked the cheaper shipping method so it will take awhile...

ckrice

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow PSers again!
I fell in love with my 8-8.5mm akoya earrings and I have decided to get another slightly smaller pair for everyday wear, thinking around 7.5 mm size. The 8-8.5mm are gorgeous but just a little too big for my work settings. I think I would put them on whenever I go out tho cos I love them so much.
Unfortunately Takahashi currently don’t have similar level of luster of 7-7.5mm as my 8-8.5mm pair. I have a hard time deciding which pair to get. Would you knowledgeable PSers provide me some advice? @yssie @Crystal_Dreams and everybody else?

the SA stated that the 7-7.5mm are the best luster they currently have (weaker luster than 8-8.5). I inquired about the 7.5-8mm @ittypea had in the other post, she said they are sold out .

The SA said her favorite are underlined. I am leaning towards the bottom pairs more because they are more pink. I don’t think the top ones with green overtone are flattering to my warm skin tone (please correct me if they are absolutely great pair I wouldn’t mind considering them since my 8-8.5 were my first pearls)

However, when she sent me closer photos of the bottom two pairs, they seem unmatched? The top pair is the bottom left from the initial photo. The bottom pair is the bottom right pair (underlined in blue)
The right hand side (top and bottom) look warmer than the left.

Which pair should I choose? I am leaning towards the pair she recommends (bottom pair of two) since she is the one who sees them in person but they seem a little unmatched in iridescence too?
I asked the SA about the unmatching situation and she said it could be the lighting and the angle. Now I am not sure what to do.
Sorry for such a long post! Please help me!

thank you so much again!!!

42CDE648-36EC-474E-A4A9-A1F217C7DFF0.jpeg 16623081-DE66-4A99-94D2-7EBAE7F119A0.jpeg 30D4A4BF-20FD-4512-8594-C6EDC4176E8B.jpeg C4ABB752-0CCC-4ADE-A53F-CB193222310E.jpeg 482E50F3-25CC-4472-A4D9-279988782EFB.jpeg

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are after something similar to what you have, you can always ask them when they might get more stock in. They are very good at keeping what you’re asking for in mind and often do get new items in if you’re not in a rush!

I have found that PSS is also real! Wear the 8-8.5mm a bit more and you may find that they’ve suddenly shrunk :lol:

Otherwise, the choice between the pink and blue underlined pairs is largely in colour, and down to personal preference. I have learnt that strong pink overtones look best (and white) on me, whereas the upper pair would likely read more cream against my skin. To my eyes, there is a small difference in lustre and also strength of overtone in the bottom pair (one is a bit more pink).

Last edited:

ckrice

Rough_Rock
@Crystal_Dreams thank you so much for your input. I went ahead and asked her how long it will take to wait for similar quality but she said she is not sure. Have you had any experience putting request with Takahashi? How long does it usually take? is it weeks or months?

As for PSS, you are completely right, I put my 8-8.5mm on today and they look slightly smaller? :confused: Perfect size for me still!

Does anyone know have any experience in owning/ trying studs that are only 0.5mm diameter difference? Do you usually get size difference of at least 1mm?

I am considering 7.5-8mm for daily wear instead of 7-7.5mm because of PSS. would 0.5mm size difference (compared to my current 8-8.5mm) not noticeable at all?

The SA mentioned she has similar quality size of 8.5-9mm as my 8-8.5. I am tempted to get them. Is it irrational to get 8.5-9mm if I already own 8-8.5mm.

Is it better to save my budget to get bigger difference in size?

Thank you! :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @Crystal_Dreams. If none are as nice as what you have then buy none - otherwise you'll be forever comparing.

And I definitely don't think buying a pair in a half-mm smaller or larger bracket is worth it!! I think there's just no way 8-8.5 is too much but 7.5-8 is right... And I think there's also no way 8.5-9 satisfies in a way that 8-8.5 doesn't. If you were thinking under 7mm, or over 9mm, then yes I could see the size difference actually making a real world difference in wearability, but...

To be honest I think you've just gone a bit pearl crazy!! Goodness knows that happens to all of us :lol: But I would really recommend wearing the beautiful pair that you've already got for a while, and seeing how your preferences change with time.

ckrice

Rough_Rock
@yssie Thank you so much for your great advice and honest opinion. I am glad someone points it out so I don't go irrational. :lol-2: I will gladly take your advice and wear my current pair for awhile and see how it goes! :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post some selfies wearing them for us to admire too!! :bigsmile:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@yssie Thank you so much for your great advice and honest opinion. I am glad someone points it out so I don't go irrational. :lol-2: I will gladly take your advice and wear my current pair for awhile and see how it goes! :D

Agree with this. As somoene that had three pairs of akoya within .5 mm of one another and now just has one pair that is a traditional akoya, plus a blue/grey akoya stud.

No reason for a series of different sizes like that, .5 mm apart. Just pick the best pair or the pair that looks the best and go from there.

ckrice

Rough_Rock
@elizat thank you for sharing your experience. I will take your helpful advice!

@yssie maybe when I don't feel as camera-shy in the forum :doh:. Meanwhile I've included pictures of my earrings. Didn't know it's quite hard to take good pictures of pearls, another thing I admire about PSers beside their pearl knowledge!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ittypea

Rough_Rock

Omg these are beautiful! I bet they are even more stunning in person!

I went with 7.5-8 for studs and 8.5-9 for dangles… I wonder if I should also consider a bigger caliber difference so that I don’t regret it? What do you think fellow Pearl-crazy person? (I get like this when I’m first into anything, hopefully it cools off after a few items :razz:)

ckrice

Rough_Rock
Omg these are beautiful! I bet they are even more stunning in person!

I went with 7.5-8 for studs and 8.5-9 for dangles… I wonder if I should also consider a bigger caliber difference so that I don’t regret it? What do you think fellow Pearl-crazy person? (I get like this when I’m first into anything, hopefully it cools off after a few items :razz:)

lol looks like I am not the only one! :P2 can't wait to see your pairs too!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Is there an (((echooooo))), because I'm about to say the same thing.
Those earrings are beautiful! And your pictures showcase that luster really well 8)

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
wow, wow, wow!! Stunning. More pics :)

ckrice

Rough_Rock
sorry to bother you guys again, I posted a similar question on the miki store thread.

Just wanted to ask all experienced PSers, how do you determine which color tone is most flattering to your skin tone?

I have listened to all your advice to hold off buying earrings, so instead I am going to get a 8.5-9mm rolling single pearl pendant. (I can’t help wanting to own one more akoya piece) :lol:
I have a hard time deciding which one below with color tone most flattering to my skin tone. :confused: I have Asian fair warm (yellow based?) skin tone.
I am debating between 8.86mm - pink with green and some blue? Vs 8.7mm - strong pink with strong blue and some green tone. I was told 8.7mm has more similar color to my 8-8.5 studs but 8.86mm appears more white?
I am leaning towards 8.86mm because of it’s bigger and “whiter” but I am also worried the green tone in it may be unflattering? What do you knowledgeable PSers think?

thank you again! =)2

14B14733-CDA9-4120-97EF-9C8B6ED0B53D.jpeg 5543840A-AEB2-4F55-B42C-DE408FAE9120.jpeg C2573FF6-0490-4B4B-85CA-CB1F374756FB.jpeg

ckrice

Rough_Rock
@yssie , does the 8.86mm errs more a peach overall tone (pink + green + some blue) and the 8.7mm one (strong pink + blue) errs more a violent overall tone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results