shape
carat
color
clarity

Akoya or South Sea or Freshwater

kobido

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am going to buy a strand of pearl bracelet soon. I would like to wear my bracelet in a stacking manner, together with other bracelets of different materials. I heard that some types are pearls are very delicate and constant rubbing may wear it over time, losing its luster. With such preference, which pearl type is best for me? Appearance wise, i like south sea the most, then akoya then freshwater. However, I don’t want my pearls to wear quickly so appearance is not the only factor in my decision making.

Thank you!
04CE8205-4403-4BC3-AD90-983575EDA11E.jpeg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve worn this baby akoya bracelet that I often stack literally 24/7 into showers/pools/the gym etc for the past 15 months or so. Still looks great, and for me the luster of freshwater just doesn’t compare to akoya. And for me since I wanted a dainty 24/7 bracelet the ayoka just had much more impact due to the luster than freshwater would have.

What size pearl were you thinking though? Some of these varieties are more available in certain size ranges vs others. IMG_8212.jpeg

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Making the Grade - some say Takahashi doesn't split strands. If you're comfortable, did they sell you just the bracelet? Or did you buy the strand and make the bracelet? Whatever, it's gorgeous. Is there a clasp?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I bought a strand of baby akoya and split them to make this bracelet and an anklet. There’s no clasp on the bracelet. For awhile it was tied on (hence me wearing it 24/7). I just recently cut the string to restring it and decided just to use elastic. I hid the final knot in a gold bead.
IMG_8218.jpeg

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MTG - love the little Akoya ! I bought two strands for a client to make a pearl 'chain' and they are so pretty ! I've always been drawn to larger pearls but I have to say this past year I'm finding a new appreciation for the tiny ones !

Kobido - The size of the pearls you want will probably make your decision for you. It's quite rare to find WSS under 8mm - in fact I've only found a couple of 9mm pairs for clients from the Australian farms. ( part of that is that they probably use the 'small' ones in graduated pieces or their own jewellery ) So if you want smaller than 8mm pearls then you choice will be Akoya or Freshwater...and if you want high lustre...then it's down to Akoya.

kobido

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

empliau

Shiny_Rock
If they don't have to be perfectly round, maybe a Keshi bracelet?

kobido

Rough_Rock
Just learned after reading from the existing threads about takahashi. @MakingTheGrade you have a beautiful collection pf pearls.

mamong

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am going to buy a strand of pearl bracelet soon. I would like to wear my bracelet in a stacking manner, together with other bracelets of different materials. I heard that some types are pearls are very delicate and constant rubbing may wear it over time, losing its luster. With such preference, which pearl type is best for me? Appearance wise, i like south sea the most, then akoya then freshwater. However, I don’t want my pearls to wear quickly so appearance is not the only factor in my decision making.

Thank you!
04CE8205-4403-4BC3-AD90-983575EDA11E.jpeg

I often stack my akoya and FW bracelets with gold bangles. It’s been years and they are holding up pretty well. I don’t, however, wear them every day.
I can’t comment on SS pearls as I find them too large to stack, so I wear my SS bracelet solo.

kobido

Rough_Rock
I often stack my akoya and FW bracelets with gold bangles. It’s been years and they are holding up pretty well. I don’t, however, wear them every day.
I can’t comment on SS pearls as I find them too large to stack, so I wear my SS bracelet solo.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results