shape
carat
color
clarity

ajsgems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone ever dealt with them? Do they provide a certificate? Are they reputable?
Your comments would be appreciated.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard mixed things about the stones. But they are very nice. I had some questions about a few gems on their site and they were very helpful. Also, I hear they have a good return policy which is always a good thing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 3:23:38 PM
Author:kribbie
Has anyone ever dealt with them? Do they provide a certificate? Are they reputable?
Yes, yes, and yes.
I've bought a red spinel from them and would buy again in a heartbeat.
They do but it's an inhouse thing. I would not put too much value in it. If the stone is expensive, I'd get my own lab certification done.
They are reputable. They have excellent customer service (answered tons of my questions with emails flying back and forth, provided extra photos as requested and returns are easy because you ship back to a US address).

ETA
Sometimes their pictures are accurate and sometimes they aren't, so feel free to ask a LOT of questions.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much! That''s good, they have such a wide variety and I like their pads a lot.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 10:41:10 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 3/23/2009 3:23:38 PM
Author:kribbie
Yes, yes, and yes.
I''ve bought a red spinel from them and would buy again in a heartbeat.
They do but it''s an inhouse thing. I would not put too much value in it. If the stone is expensive, I''d get my own lab certification done.
They are reputable. They have excellent customer service (answered tons of my questions with emails flying back and forth, provided extra photos as requested and returns are easy because you ship back to a US address).

ETA
Sometimes their pictures are accurate and sometimes they aren''t, so feel free to ask a LOT of questions.
Chrono,
Can you provide examples of some of the questions you ask? It would be very helpful to novice gem buyers. Thanks in advance!!
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pictures: I always ask for a side view to check out the depth of the stone and also to see how off center the culet might be. It also sometimes helps to spot colour zoning and other inclusion not viewable from the table.

Extinction: I ask how much extinction it has. I cannot accept a stone with more than 20% extinction. The less the better. Extinction is areas where the stone is dark and does not reflect light (shows no colour)

Windows: I can spot this in the picture but I still ask anyway just in case.

Secondary colour or undertone: I don't want gray or brown (or in some cases yellow) undertones. Pictures cannot accurately capture everything so I ask about this.

Clarity: As with all gemstones, I just ask if the inclusions will affect the integrity of the stone. I go for eye clean stones so I know there might be feathers or internal fractures, etc and want to be sure it's safe to set and wear.

Colour: I try to be explicit as possible. I told AJS I wanted a stop light red and I got one.
9.gif
I also asked about the saturation as I wanted it to be as vivid and bright as possible. This is at the TOP of my list because this is what make a gemstone attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results