shape
carat
color
clarity

Airborne vs droplets and safety if outside

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve seen this question raised a few times on various threads and thought this might be helpful to folk, feel free to forward to anyone else who’s trying to make sense of this!

And this video complements it well:

My take aways:
Airborne is a technical medical science designation, not being classified as “airborne” (like measles which is insanely contagious. R0 of like 15) does Not mean it cannot be transmitted through microdroplets in the air given small spaces and poor ventilation.
It’s pretty safe to go outside given distance and good ventilation.
Opening windows is good since it’ll increase wind/ventilation!
Elevators are bad. Try to avoid lol
Everyone would benefit from everyone wearing a mask, because physics, but please save the N95s for hcw given shortages.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve seen this question raised a few times on various threads and thought this might be helpful to folk, feel free to forward to anyone else who’s trying to make sense of this!

And this video complements it well:

My take aways:
Airborne is a technical medical science designation, not being classified as “airborne” (like measles which is insanely contagious. R0 of like 15) does Not mean it cannot be transmitted through microdroplets in the air given small spaces and poor ventilation.
It’s pretty safe to go outside given distance and good ventilation.
Opening windows is good since it’ll increase wind/ventilation!
Elevators are bad. Try to avoid lol
Everyone would benefit from everyone wearing a mask, because physics, but please save the N95s for hcw given shortages.

Thank you @MakingTheGrade I’m hoping hard that you stay safe!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure there are enough negatives in that first paragraph :lol: lol

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Airborne infection is possible but if you “distance” yourself 2 meters from everyone it is a less likely method of transmission.
The big one is touching stuff that someone coughed, sneezed or touched after touching their own mouth or nose.
The virus can live on hard surfaces for many days.
So it’s being on public transport or areas where large numbers of people have or are congregating
It’s touching the elevator button, touching the shopping cart, touching the pedestrian walk button, touching the escalator rail,
It makes sense to wear a mask if you are sick, it stops you coughing or sneezing onto things, it stops you putting your fingers into your own mouth or nose after touching potentially contaminated surfaces but it’s efficacy in preventing “air borne” infected particles is less of an issue.
Stay home, stay away from people, be very very aware of touching anything outside your home and then touching your face. Be washing your hands thoroughly anytime you do venture out and keep any family or friends who are elderly or immune compromised inside and away from everyone and everything.
Many people are contagious before showing any symptoms, some people can have the virus and show no symptoms.
I’m working on the basis that everyone “out there” has the virus.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The virus can live on hard surfaces for many days.
Do we have this confirmed? I've seen reports of hours / days for different materials, but nothing from a decent source!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do we have this confirmed? I've seen reports of hours / days for different materials, but nothing from a decent source!

Lab based study demonstrated viable virus in aerosols 3h
(half-life 1.1.h), plastic half-life 5.6h, steel up to 72h (half life 7h). Copper none detected after 4h,
cardboard none detected after 8h.

From
Van N, Bushmaker T, Morris D. Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1. NEJM. March 17, 2020.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results