shape
carat
color
clarity

air travel with ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

frikfrak2

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I can''t seem to find any threads on travelling with an engagement ring thru the airport.

I want to surprise her with the ring and we''re going to Paris so I''d like to give it to her in Paris.

How do I bring it on the plane without her knowing? How can I make sure it stays a secret??

An ideas pleaseeee....

thans

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
I'm actually planning something similar, so any ideas would be appreciated.
1.gif

My only idea so far is to travel with cargo pants and keep the ring in there accept when I go through security. For security I imagine that I could just stuff it in my carry-on. I just don't want anything to happen during Customs or anywhere else where that could draw attention to the e-ring.

frikfrak2

Rough_Rock
OK,

I just contacted Customs. Where are you travelling to?

I'm heading to France tomorrow and they (CUSTOMS) said that if I put it in my carry-on there won't be a problem.

1.gif

Woooohooooo...somebodys getting a nice surprise in Paris

1.gif

smaggard

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking that the carry on idea should work. Going to NY City next month and obviously don't want some yahoo at airport security to take it out in from of her and say "what's this"....I may put it in the laptop case and place through the conveyor belt. Hopefully with the XRay they can see what it is and that it's nothing bad no?

frikfrak2

Rough_Rock
put it in your carry on with your shving stuff.
1.gif
Thats what I'm gonna do
1.gif

The metal detector does not go off for gold ring.
1.gif

Thats what the person at customs told. She said "the detector doesnt go of for a gold ring"
1.gif

Woohoo..
2.gif

CAN ANYBODY ELSE CONFIRM THIS.... I know the thats what the person at cusotms said but can somebody else confirm this.

OHhh wait, I just got confirmaton here from my collegue.

Alright!.. confirmed... the detector doesnt go off for a ring
1.gif

Nice
1.gif

smaggard

Rough_Rock
Thanks for getting clarification on that Frik
10.gif

frikfrak2

Rough_Rock
smaggard,

my pleasure. I think the best way of really hiding it from her is by putting in my "shaving travel kit" things.
1.gif

What do ya'll think?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Relax, you'll be fine. I go through the metal detectors wearing my rings all the time & it never sets them off.

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
Hey Frik, did customs mention anything about a declaration form? That is, showing customs on the way BACK INTO your home country, that you didn't buy it while you were on vacation thus saving on the taxes?

-spencer

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Manhattan--

If its on her finger as they come back into the country and no one knew about it on the way over...seems like it wouldn't matter? I would assume that a piece of jewelry as worn would not cause scrutiny, esp if the customs do not know the history of the jewel?

Seems like why declare anything if no one knows it's there?

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
I'm headed to Nicaragua. Customs was another concern of mine...it had just slipped my mind. I particularly want to avoid any problems since I don't know Spanish and that's her native tongue. The last thing I want is her to come over to "help" me out and blow the surprise.
Frik, which customs office did you check with? I should probably do that as well.

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
I'm not worried about the way back, Mara, but rather having me take it there. Maybe that's not an issue at all...just want things to go as smoothly as possible.
1.gif

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Not to scare everyone, but be super careful when you send your carry-on through the security conveyor belt. My husband and I travel alot, and we saw someone get their leather jacket stolen off the belt in the time it took for them to go through the metal detector!

Watch like a hawk for your stuff on the far side of the conveyor belt, especially when you have something valuable inside.
1.gif

-Melissa

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I always watch my stuff from the time I put it on to when I get it off. Luckily I hardly ever go off at the metal detector (knock on wood for future upcoming travel!) and so I am able to jet through and stand by the belt to pull our stuff off right away. FI always gets caught at metal detector and ends up practically naked before he's approved to move through. Hee Hee.

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
I don't know about airport security, but my job requires me to go through courthouse security all the time. I see women wearing big rings go through the metal detectors all the time without setting them off. I have a watch with a thick stainless steel band and that doesn't even set it off (and I assure you the courthouses I visit have their detectors on "sensitive" mode because they are constantly going off for some reason).

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
You could wear it on a chain around your neck
That way you're sure to know

That it is safe and there with you
No matter where you go!

BTW - this has come up before
I don't remember when
But the guy travelled safely overseas
And returned back home again!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
I wear a heavy gold bracelet and rings through the airport and it never sets them off. Put it in your pocket and walk right through.

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Iceman & rbjd, that's good to know! Does anyone know how platinum compares to gold in terms of setting off the sensors?

astogie

Rough_Rock
Boulder,

Plat, gold, diamonds, emeralds, CZ's, Ruby,s and about any other Jewlery item will NOT set off any airport sensors.

Put it in your bag, pocket, around your neck, in your mouth, or anywhere else for that matter.

Also, if you are really that worried, get in line with your honey, then jump out for a soda, pretzel, newspaper or whatever...when you get back in line you sould be far enough from her that even if they strip search you she will not see it.

Really, don't stress just have fun!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear my plat ring through the detectors with no problem. It's heavy platinum, and about 2.5mm wide. Last time we went through I think they told my fiance that regular type jewelry does not always set off the detectors but they also said it depends on the airport and their level of security and the sensitivity level they have their detectors on. Some may catch the smallest things. However I have always been able to walk through with my white gold diamond earrings on, my plat ring, my eyeglasses, etc.

I like the idea of you jumping out of line to go to the bathroom or something..wait til you almost get to the front, that way she will not be tempted to leave and come with you to wait. Then meet up with her at the gate and if you are made to show the ring, she will be nowhere around.

1.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Go in front of her at the airport security , set the alarm off with some metal in your pocket and turn around and propose to her
1.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Thats if you didnt have Paris in mind, much better
1.gif

astogie

Rough_Rock
Maybe we should ask...

Do you wear a MR. T level of jewelry? or have a metal plate in your head?

If so you might have a problem...

if not, have fun!

Kiz

Rough_Rock
This post may be a little late, as I think you already left for Europe, but here it is anyway:
I just proposed to my gf in Paris on the fourth of July. I also was worried about the airport security and having my carry-on randomly checked in front of her. If she would have seen the blue box, I would've had to propose in Newark airport instead of Paris
8.gif

But I went through with no problem. I had the ring in the ring pouch and on me in a money/passport belt. So all I had to do was to put the belt through the x-ray. The box itself was wrapped in a bag inside my toiletry kit.
I insured the ring and made sure that my policy covered ovrseas.
The worrying and nervousness surrounding traveling with the ring is well worth it when you pull out the box while enjoying a bottle of wine on the grass at the foot of the Eifel Tower (way too hectic at the top - you couldnt have a private moment up there)with the love of your life and seeing the total shock and surprise on her face.
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results