shape
carat
color
clarity

AIP diet

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember someone here mentioned the AIP diet and I am curious if anyone here follows the AIP diet. And if you know if it is really possible to destroy the lectins in beans with pressure cooking. Legumes are not allowed on the AIP diet because the lectins are inflammatory but I read an article by Dr Mercola saying if you cook them in a pressure cooker you can deactivate some of the lectins. Still not a great idea to eat if one has AI conditions but I am looking for a way to modify the AIP to make it work for me.

I already soak beans overnight for at least 12 hours disposing of the water at least two times before boiling and boiling for an hour plus. However I do not use a pressure cooker and if anyone here does or knows anything about this I would be very interested to learn more.

Summary of the AIP diet for those of you who are interested and do not know about it.

Paleo_AIP-1024x791.jpg

and Dr Mercola's info:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2018/01/07/limit-lectins.aspx

In my heart I am with Calvin and Hobbes.
dessertatarian.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve eaten both paleo and whole30 for years. Not currently doing either. When I do, I feel fantastic. I am always convinced that our bodies shouldn’t have the foods that are eliminated in these diets because the reduction in inflammation is marked.

The AIP does take it one step further, right? Doesn’t it eliminate nightshades? Or is that the WAHLS protocol? That is the protocol that fascinates me most. That doctor found a diet to manage her MS. It seems to work for so many.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve eaten both paleo and whole30 for years. Not currently doing either. When I do, I feel fantastic. I am always convinced that our bodies shouldn’t have the foods that are eliminated in these diets because the reduction in inflammation is marked.

The AIP does take it one step further, right? Doesn’t it eliminate nightshades? Or is that the WAHLS protocol? That is the protocol that fascinates me most. That doctor found a diet to manage her MS. It seems to work for so many.

Yes the AIP eliminates all nightshades. It is a stricter version of the Paleo.
Also eliminates all nuts and seeds which the Paleo allows.
The only challenge for me on this diet is getting protein as I’m not eating fish for now (mercury issue) and my fall back beans is not allowed.

http://www.saragottfriedmd.com/is-the-autoimmune-protocol-necessary/

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I don't see how a vegetarian could survive on the AIP diet.

While some veggies have some protein (3 grams in half-cup cooked spinach, 2 grams in half-cup brussel sprouts/broccoli/green beans, 3 grams in 1 cup avocado, 4 grams in medium artichoke), isn't the recommended daily protein more like 50 grams/daily?

I checked out Naked Nutrition's Pea Protein as a supplement but that uses yellow pea (split pea/seed)...

Missy, I guess you could go for it, but keep the black beans?

Or, if you were okay with fish, would you be open to bone broth, liquid or powder, at least while you do the AIP diet? Even me as a veg-head since 1985, I would consider the bone broth so I could wholeheartedly try the AIP diet if faced with your current situation.

I sincerely wish you luck in resolving your medical issues.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I don't see how a vegetarian could survive on the AIP diet.

While some veggies have some protein (3 grams in half-cup cooked spinach, 2 grams in half-cup brussel sprouts/broccoli/green beans, 3 grams in 1 cup avocado, 4 grams in medium artichoke), isn't the recommended daily protein more like 50 grams/daily?

I checked out Naked Nutrition's Pea Protein as a supplement but that uses yellow pea (split pea/seed)...

Missy, I guess you could go for it, but keep the black beans?

Or, if you were okay with fish, would you be open to bone broth, liquid or powder, at least while you do the AIP diet? Even me as a veg-head since 1985, I would consider the bone broth so I could wholeheartedly try the AIP diet if faced with your current situation.

I sincerely wish you luck in resolving your medical issues.

Yes this is where I am now. Trying to figure a way to reconcile the AIP with a vegan lifestyle. Once (if) I can add fish back I’ll be A OK to follow this diet. Until then I’m trying to figure it out and adapt it as best I can. Reminding myself perfect is the enemy of good (enough).

That’s why I posted because I’m interested in continuing beans but reducing the inflammation causing lectins. I see what Dr Mercola recommends and just wondering if any PSers have any real life experience with pressure cooking beans to reduce the lectins.

Thank you @marymm
I appreciate your good wishes. Hope all is well with you.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
I started the AIP diet in February. The first month was pretty rough. I started adding foods back in after a month, which made it much easier to stick with. The first foods I added back in were legumes with no negative reaction. I recommend getting a couple cookbooks (I found 2 on Amazon) and meal planning so you don't feel like you're going to starve. I also recommend juicing (especially the first month), so that you're not vitamin/mineral deprived. I recommend Super Juice Me for the juice recipes (I didn't read the book). I'm not sure what health issues you have but I will say this is the best I've felt in my adult life. I've had chronic back pain since I was in junior high and since I've been on AIP, I have no pain. Seriously amazing. I hope you find relief too.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know there was a name for it, but I follow this often to continue to reduce inflammation when I feel it. For my keto plan I eliminate all dairy and seeds and nuts, which looks pretty close to this AIP plan. I don't eat fruit though. The more things I eliminate the harder it is but it definitely helps with inflammation. I have had to do this the last week. I had a cinco de mayo party that I had catered and ate the food and a piece of cake, and a few pieces of candy. The next day I woke up aching. One meal! That is the first time I went off plan in a year and a few months. I will not do it again, because it is simply not worth it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are mushrooms allowed?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started the AIP diet in February. The first month was pretty rough. I started adding foods back in after a month, which made it much easier to stick with. The first foods I added back in were legumes with no negative reaction. I recommend getting a couple cookbooks (I found 2 on Amazon) and meal planning so you don't feel like you're going to starve. I also recommend juicing (especially the first month), so that you're not vitamin/mineral deprived. I recommend Super Juice Me for the juice recipes (I didn't read the book). I'm not sure what health issues you have but I will say this is the best I've felt in my adult life. I've had chronic back pain since I was in junior high and since I've been on AIP, I have no pain. Seriously amazing. I hope you find relief too.

That is amazing! So pleased for you.:appl: I have to read more about juicing as I think that won't be great for me. I need the fiber and doesn't juicing remove that? My health issues are numerous Autoimmune diseases and three new ones in the past 6 months.

Are mushrooms allowed?

Yesssss to mushrooms being OK on the AIP (I think!) thank goodness. I LOVE mushrooms. I only buy everything organic now so hopefully that is A OK.

I didn't know there was a name for it, but I follow this often to continue to reduce inflammation when I feel it. For my keto plan I eliminate all dairy and seeds and nuts, which looks pretty close to this AIP plan. I don't eat fruit though. The more things I eliminate the harder it is but it definitely helps with inflammation. I have had to do this the last week. I had a cinco de mayo party that I had catered and ate the food and a piece of cake, and a few pieces of candy. The next day I woke up aching. One meal! That is the first time I went off plan in a year and a few months. I will not do it again, because it is simply not worth it.

@luv2sparkle I am so glad eating like this has been helpful for you and I am sorry one little off the diet caused you so much pain. I have read that before when people have certain allergies/sensitivites that falling off the wagon just once can wreak havoc. Especially with gluten. Even if one is just gluten sensitive. I have no problems cutting out dairy, gluten, most grains but beans and nuts are the biggest challenges for me right now diet wise.

I live on nuts and beans (and yes even corn as in popcorn) and so it is very challenging for me to do. I feel hungry all the time since I started AIP. And it is making me hangry too.
zanyLOLguys.gif

The one thing I added that I normally don't eat anymore is fruit ie apples. I hope the sugar doesn't cause other issues. That's why I stopped eating them a few years ago. However I am still eating a banana a day due to one of my meds having to go down with it to prevent a repeat esophagitis and I know bananas are not the best fruit but I am not stopping that one as it is critical to taking my med safely.

Luv, I know we are all different of course but how long did it take for you to start feeling positive changes re eating this way? Thanks.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Missy-I am sorry you are dealing with some health challenges! May I ask if you are a non-meat eater by choice or if you have sensitiviities?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy-I am sorry you are dealing with some health challenges! May I ask if you are a non-meat eater by choice or if you have sensitiviities?

Hi Stepcutnut, thanks. I’m a non meat eater (with exception of fish) for 37plus (vegan for 20) years by choice. I can’t bear the thought of eating meat and I worked hard on accepting eating fish. Then of course the joke is on me and I got too much mercury from fish. My internist told me to start eating wild salmon and sardines again despite my high blood mercury since I need protein and he knows I won’t eat red meat, turkey, chicken or pork. I just want to go back to being a vegan (20s and 30s) but now I realize that might have been the worst diet for me given my AI predilection.

Do I have meat sensitivities? I might and maybe that’s why I can’t bear the thought of eating meat. Maybe it’s my body’s way of protecting me. For example I loathe sodium and everything tastes too salty for me if any salt is added and certain foods I can’t eat at all since they are too salty naturally. Turns out I am a sodium responder and my blood pressure goes sky high if I consume too much sodium.

I never liked meat (love all animals) and never wanted to eat them. And while it’s true I wear leather these days I only buy vintage leather and don’t buy anything new anymore. When I was a vegan in my 20s and 30s I didn’t buy any leather.

My mom used to fight with me when I was little because I wouldn’t eat meat and it was always a struggle. Ditto for milk. It was a game we played. She would put milk and cookies in front of us after school (I was a little kid 5,6,7) and wait for her to leave and spill it down the drain. I’m convinced she knew but for some reason allowed the facade to continue.

All this to say I never liked eating or drinking animal products and can’t start eating them now. With the exception of fish if it becomes safe for me to eat again. If not I was searching for a way to make legumes safe for me as that’s my true preference.

Thanks for any advice and thoughts.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Will/Can you eat eggs?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will/Can you eat eggs?

I don’t eat eggs but was willing to consider it until I read it’s inflammatory to the gut and forbidden on the AIP diet. Just as bad or worse than nuts, seeds, gluten, legumes and dairy and sugar.

It leaves me with very little options I know.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part of me feels I caused this to myself by the way I have eaten all these decades. Thinking I was eating healthfully with beans, quinoa, nuts and all of a sudden I find out these are the worst things one can eat of me has AI tendencies. SMH. And yes blaming myself too. But there’s nothing constructive in looking back and blaming myself I know. And instead I’m searching for feasible alternatives I can live with healthfully.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
No need to blame-all we can do is make different choices going forward :)

Also I know you know this, but eggs like any other food may be reactive or non in your own body, which can also change over time unless it is a true food allergy. I do not react to egg whites, but do quite badly to egg yolks for example.

Just something to think about and look into for yourself- is I have seen much more long term success with a clean Ketogenic diet(dairy, nut, caffeine, alcohol and sweetner free) vs. an AIP diet for auto-iimune issues. People tend not to have just one AI disease, so definately need to find something to calm their body and allow it to heal. A great resource for clean Ketogenic options is Maria Emmerich. Also look into Vital Proteins Marine Collagen if you haven’t.
Wishing you lots of luck on your healing path!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, initially it took me less than two weeks to feel totally different. My joint aches were almost completely gone. I used to take a fair amount of nsaids, now I take virtually none. A headache is rare for me. I can’t even express how radically different I feel.

This AIP diet is really strict. Can you get some more fat in? Since you don’t eat meat, maybe avocados? It is definitely harder without dairy as well. Vegetables sautéed in coconut oil. I found a butter flavored(natural extract) coconut oil. I haven’t tried it yet though. The fat will keep you from feeling hungry all the time. I think that would be the key to being able to sustain it.
The more things you eliminate the harder life becomes but if it makes you feel better it can be worth it.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I just recently went vegan and am trying out new recipes and ideas daily. Beans/Lentils give me stomach pains however the pressure cooker method does work. We use the Instant Pot and it definitely helps quite a bit. We don't even need to soak our beans ahead of time. Can you add Spirulina to your diet? It's a great source of protein, you can add it to smoothies. I didn't see Hempseed on your list, maybe that could added as well? It's another good source of protein. I've heard about Teff but haven't personally tried it yet, it's in the ancient grains category but it comes from a grass so it's gluten free. (I'm GF). I guess chickpeas would be on the no-no list?

Good luck with modifying your diet, I know how challenging it can be. I'm trying to figure out how to control some skin issues I'm having as well as stomach issues. So far the vegan diet (I've been dairy free and gluten free for several years) is working for my stomach but it's still early so I think it will take longer to see if my skin improves. I also cut out coffee a few weeks ago, and that's helped my stomach issues as well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, initially it took me less than two weeks to feel totally different. My joint aches were almost completely gone. I used to take a fair amount of nsaids, now I take virtually none. A headache is rare for me. I can’t even express how radically different I feel.

This AIP diet is really strict. Can you get some more fat in? Since you don’t eat meat, maybe avocados? It is definitely harder without dairy as well. Vegetables sautéed in coconut oil. I found a butter flavored(natural extract) coconut oil. I haven’t tried it yet though. The fat will keep you from feeling hungry all the time. I think that would be the key to being able to sustain it.
The more things you eliminate the harder life becomes but if it makes you feel better it can be worth it.

Thanks those are great ideas. I love avocado and will buy them today. And coconut oil is a great suggestion.Fat does satiate. Totally forgot about that. My DH cooks things in one of the safe oils for me but I don’t remember which oil. Oh wait it’s avocado oil lol. So I guess I am getting avocado fat in my diet. But I’ll get some avocados today too and add them to my salad. I already gained my weight back because I got nervous about getting too skinny as I know that’s another whole host of problems. I’d rather add a little too much right now because I don’t want my bone density suffering.

And really so happy for you luv. You’re an inspiration. :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No need to blame-all we can do is make different choices going forward :)

Also I know you know this, but eggs like any other food may be reactive or non in your own body, which can also change over time unless it is a true food allergy. I do not react to egg whites, but do quite badly to egg yolks for example.

Just something to think about and look into for yourself- is I have seen much more long term success with a clean Ketogenic diet(dairy, nut, caffeine, alcohol and sweetner free) vs. an AIP diet for auto-iimune issues. People tend not to have just one AI disease, so definately need to find something to calm their body and allow it to heal. A great resource for clean Ketogenic options is Maria Emmerich. Also look into Vital Proteins Marine Collagen if you haven’t.
Wishing you lots of luck on your healing path!

That is really really strict keto. I feel like I am pretty strict keto and very clean but I can’t do all of those things at one time. I second Maria Emmerich. I own every one of her books, and frankly adore this sweet woman. I have coffee every morning, and occasionally add cheese and a sweetener like swerve, but completely eliminating them would make life too hard. I don’t not eat any form of sugar in any product, or eat any processed food of any kind. If I eat nuts one day, I try to avoid dairy. Same with sweeteners. Finding out how food affects your body is a process of trial and error. Be patient with yourself Missy and skip the blame. You didn’t cause this. It will just take some time to figure out what works best for you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just recently went vegan and am trying out new recipes and ideas daily. Beans/Lentils give me stomach pains however the pressure cooker method does work. We use the Instant Pot and it definitely helps quite a bit. We don't even need to soak our beans ahead of time. Can you add Spirulina to your diet? It's a great source of protein, you can add it to smoothies. I didn't see Hempseed on your list, maybe that could added as well? It's another good source of protein. I've heard about Teff but haven't personally tried it yet, it's in the ancient grains category but it comes from a grass so it's gluten free. (I'm GF). I guess chickpeas would be on the no-no list?

Good luck with modifying your diet, I know how challenging it can be. I'm trying to figure out how to control some skin issues I'm having as well as stomach issues. So far the vegan diet (I've been dairy free and gluten free for several years) is working for my stomach but it's still early so I think it will take longer to see if my skin improves. I also cut out coffee a few weeks ago, and that's helped my stomach issues as well.

Thanks for this info. So does pressure cooking the beans eliminate your stomach pains? Do you think it’s due to reducing the lectins? Would you mind sharing how you cook them in the Instapot. I’m ready to order it based on what you wrote. Thank you.

And you’re completely vegan so all your protein is from plant sources. Gives me hope. I don’t know about spirulina. Will research that. Same for hempseed. Must do some more reading. Very happy it’s helping you and hope your skin relief is soon to follow.

As for caffeine I only have about 1.5 cups a day now and I don’t feel any aggravation when I drink it. Not sure life would be worth it for me without my black coffee. :/

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still have a long way to go and more weight I could lose. I am a work in progress, like all of us.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is really really strict keto. I feel like I am pretty strict keto and very clean but I can’t do all of those things at one time. I second Maria Emmerich. I own every one of her books, and frankly adore this sweet woman. I have coffee every morning, and occasionally add cheese and a sweetener like swerve, but completely eliminating them would make life too hard. I don’t not eat any form of sugar in any product, or eat any processed food of any kind. If I eat nuts one day, I try to avoid dairy. Same with sweeteners. Finding out how food affects your body is a process of trial and error. Be patient with yourself Missy and skip the blame. You didn’t cause this. It will just take some time to figure out what works best for you.

Thanks luv. I needed that encouragement just now. Appreciate it. I’m going to take it one step at a time. I had to have some nuts this morning. I was so hungry. But I won’t have beans tonight and I’ll have sardines instead. Seeing the heavy metal toxicity specialist Monday late afternoon so will see what she says I have to do. Trying to prepare myself mentally for what I may hear Monday and for what my new normal might have to be. I’m just hoping there’s a happy solution that I can live well with and thrive on. Thanks for all your input.

Wishing you good health and happiness.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome @missy
Yes pressure cooking the beans helps quite I bit. However I try not to eat them 2 days in a row because the second day I'll feel uncomfortable. I do believe the pressure cooking reduces the lectins so that's why they don't affect me so much. The Instant Pot is super easy, here's the recipe we use for black beans. I just leave out the onions and garlic (they also affect my stomach).
https://www.frieddandelions.com/how-to-make-black-beans-instant-pot/

Instead of coffee, I'm drinking this now. Just 1 cup a day like I used to have when I drank coffee. I think it's more of a routine/comfort thing than it is about the coffee, at least for me. I'm not really missing actual coffee but I really like this stuff. I add my non-dairy creamer to it too :)
https://www.amazon.com/Teeccino-Org...spons&keywords=dandelion+dark+roast+tea&psc=1

I also eat quinoa and rice but see those are no-no's on your list. Quinoa is a good source of protein and is filling. But check out Teff and see if that could be an option for you.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Luv-yes strict, but it doesn’t need to be for the longterm if your body doesn’t react poorly to those ‘extra’ items removed from a Keto diet. But the only way you will know if you react is if they are removed for a short amount of time, 30-60 days for most people depending on their current health. Then one can slowly reintroduce one item at a time to see if the are reactive or not :) But removing caffeine for a short period is also for helping to heal your adrenals which tend to be fatigued when one has health issues. Love love love Maria’s cookbooks! The food is so satisfying and tastes fantastic!!! Rarely do I even feel very hungry and never hangry any more ;-). This will be 2yrs eating Keto and I can’t see myself stopping anytime soon, this coming from a former GF Vegetarian turned GF Vegan!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ missy-wishing you the same! Whatever the specialist says-it may not be an all or nothing thing. It may take awhile to get your body back into balance but you may be able to add small amounts of the things you like back in at some point. I hope that for you!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stepcutnut, I so agree! I have given up coffee before, I should try it again. I don’t have a problem with headaches when I do. My weight loss is stalled. I love keto and won’t every give it up either. I usually am not even tempted to go off plan. I am really looking forward to my husband being retired in a few weeks so we can cook more together. Right now, he is working a lot of overtime and I have two adult sons at home but all they eat is junk food.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Luv-kudos to you for sticking with a different eating plan with your boys in the house eating junk food-makes it tougher when the ‘crap’ food is right in front of you! And cooking with your hubby will be super nice!!! Good luck with the weightloss stall, if that is your goal with a Keto diet, it can be frustrating!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome @missy
Yes pressure cooking the beans helps quite I bit. However I try not to eat them 2 days in a row because the second day I'll feel uncomfortable. I do believe the pressure cooking reduces the lectins so that's why they don't affect me so much. The Instant Pot is super easy, here's the recipe we use for black beans. I just leave out the onions and garlic (they also affect my stomach).
https://www.frieddandelions.com/how-to-make-black-beans-instant-pot/

Instead of coffee, I'm drinking this now. Just 1 cup a day like I used to have when I drank coffee. I think it's more of a routine/comfort thing than it is about the coffee, at least for me. I'm not really missing actual coffee but I really like this stuff. I add my non-dairy creamer to it too :)
https://www.amazon.com/Teeccino-Org...spons&keywords=dandelion+dark+roast+tea&psc=1

I also eat quinoa and rice but see those are no-no's on your list. Quinoa is a good source of protein and is filling. But check out Teff and see if that could be an option for you.

Thank you @asscher_girl for all those options.

I am a bit confused though. I usually soak beans overnight (at least 12 hours) discarding the water several times and then boil for an hour plus till they are ready. My question is this. Which removes more lectins...soaking dry beans overnight discarding the water several times and boiling for over an hour or just pressure cooking where it seems you are not supposed to soak the beans at all. Dr Mercola is not clear as to which way is best to remove the most lectins but it seems to me (and I could be completely wrong here) that soaking overnight and changing the water removes more of the lectins. #confused #lectinssuck #help:???:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results