shape
carat
color
clarity

Aiirport detectors and diamonds

cthulhu999

Rough_Rock
Hello

Is any possibility that detectors on airport in big tourist bag(not carry-on baggage) will detect 4 (3-4ct) rough diamonds ? i heard that i should to pack it in plastic bag inside of my bag ...hmm? where i should hide it in bag ?

i ma talking about african airports;-)

sorry for my english ;-)

thanks

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If we're talking about smuggling, the simple solution is don't do it. If we're talking about how to legally and securely carry diamonds around while flying, carry them on your person, not in your luggage. Your biggest risk is the airline losing your bag entirely so it doesn't much matter where in the bag you pack it. If the security people want to search you, let 'em. At least you'll be present. If they search your bag, you won't be there.

cthulhu999

Rough_Rock
thanks but my question is about detectors , they can see it ? . At least i think they cant to open my bag without my .they need call me.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cthulhu999|1314720503|3005417 said:
thanks but my question is about detectors , they can see it ? . At least i think they cant to open my bag without my .they need call me.
Diamonds show up on xrays. I have no clue what equipment is in use at the airport(s) you're asking about but xray scanners are certainly not unusual. Every airline I'm familiar with reserves the right to open your bag if they want and they both can and will do so without asking for further permission from you. Personally, I wouldn't want to board an airplane where the security people DON'T have this ability.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would love to know why exactly you want to hide them? I assume you're flying out of Africa?

I ask because I do remember a time when I was little when flying out of India was a nightmare of an exercise - if authorities noticed something of potential value in your bag there was the distinct possibility that it would simply be confiscated, no questions asked - and no recourse for you. So the only solution was not to fly with valuables, period. Even now there's no guarantee that packages with valuables shipped into the country will reach their intended recipients - things just 'go missing'.

If that's your worry here I have no advice for you - other than to perhaps call the airport and talk to someone about your situation? You could explain you have the rough, and you'll have the papers/credentials/whatnot in-hand when you get there, that might help deter the sticky-pawed.

If you're looking to bring them in without proper authorization... you're in a world of trouble, methinks.

cthulhu999

Rough_Rock
Yes , i flying out of Africa..finally . Well , everyone who spent some years in Africa know that white man who asking about paperwork must pay extra and sometmes more than extra ;-). Its not so easy like in Europe or Usa. Anyway i asking about xray because on this forum and somewhere else i saw posts: xray show up diamonds very indistinctly or tey cant see this :confused:

it would be easier for me to put this inside of bag , especially there is not a lot of stones - only 4 . Thats why i asking about this =)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What part of your will go to jail for a very long time for smuggling diamonds don't you understand?
It is considered terrorism in many countries.

Then you have the problem of finding a cutter who is willing to go to jail over the cutting fee for 4 diamonds that don't have a Kimberly cert.

Honestly I think we are being trolled.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. When entering some countries, including the USA, you are required to list items you're entering the country with on a customs entry form. If your checked bags contain diamond rough (or even loose diamonds/gemstones) under the x-ray it's possible that your name could be flagged in the system. If so the customs officer who takes your passport and entry card may verify that you claimed those items.

2. The posts above offer very prudent advice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results