shape
carat
color
clarity

AIGS trip to Africa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

Well, we are ready... With 2 of my former gemology students at AIGS, I''m now leaving for 3 months to Africa with one objective: Rubies and sapphires mines!
After our training trips to Vietnam and Sri Lanka, the more serious part of our mine tour project is now beginning.
I will be probably a little bit more rare in the next months,

All the best,

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best wishes for a safe and productive trip. We''ll look forward to hearing about your adventures when you have time to post.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck! we will be waiting to hear of your discoveries!

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I''m back in Antananarivo after a succesful trip to Anbohimandroso, Ilakaka and Andranondambo... hard but good!
Now leaving tomorrow to Vatomandry and Andilamena, if anybody around in mada, do not hesitate to contact...
All the best,

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow! Happy travels and stay well. I for one live vicariously through your travels, so looking forward to hearing about the same.

cheers--Sharon

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hi everybody,
My trip to Madagascar is now in its very last days and we are preparing to leave now to kenya.
During the last month we have scouted most of madagascar ruby and sapphire deposits in Ambohimandroso, Ilakaka, Andranondambo, Vatomandry, Andilamena and in the north near Diego Suarez.
The main news I can give you is about Andilamena where the material used for the lead glass treatment was coming; Now its production is very low due to the prices for the material that have dropped in the local market and also because a new ruby deposit was found nearby in april 2005... As I''m writting, most of the miners have then moved their hopes and operations to this new ruby deposit. The rubies from the new deposit are globally dark red but I''ve seen several very attractive pieces, the crystals are very euhedrals and show no trace of abrasion. most of the crystals are fractured or included but I was given to see several 3 to 5 carats clean pieces with attractive red colors.
Probably this material has already reach Bangkok as it is mostly bought by Thais dealers in Madagascar.
Anyway a story to follow... Me and my students have taken many photos of both the place and the stones and we will prepair a study on these stones after our return from Africa...

We will now leave within few days to Kenya, and of course if any of you happen to be there these days I would be happy to meet you,

All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results