shape
carat
color
clarity

Ahhh, help me decide!! NM gown

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I am feeling the pressure here on this Nicole Miller boutique, and have the same questions as Bia!!

Do you think this gown could work for a church wedding with evening reception in January? With serious bling (maybe a blingy belt) and maybe even a bolero capelet or something I could have made? Only $350!!

Can I recoup the cost somewhere if it doesn''t work???

I just can''t pass up this price! I am stressing and feel like I need to purchase now!

Help me decide, ladies!!!

1411519403_RLMD.jpg

Bia

Ideal_Rock
LOL It''s funny what a sale will do to a girl...
3.gif
32.gif
9.gif

Let me carefully see the dress and I''ll be back to post my opinion.

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t figure out how to get a pic of the back from the site. But it has a low back with one strap across the middle, and a long bowish looking tie in the back, with a chapel train and simple bustle.

Wow, my heart rate is all up, the thought of getting an NM gown for this price is exciting!

I am still thinking of going the custom route, but I am getting nervous about timing (wedding is less than 9 months away and we haven''t even started talking prices) so I feel like I need an inexpensive "back-up."

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 1:00:27 PM
Author: Bia
LOL It''s funny what a sale will do to a girl...
3.gif
32.gif
9.gif

Let me carefully see the dress and I''ll be back to post my opinion.

Ahhh!!
32.gif
I know!!! Thanks, Bia!!!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
depends on the church ceremony to me... if it is a formal wedding ceremony -I don''t think it will fit the atmosphere... but the dress w/ bolero jacket sound abfab.! It just depends on what else you have built around it. A much shorter more personal ceremony with a church backdrop - I think the dress would work.

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
The wedding is a full Catholic ceremony (which is why I was thinking having a bolero made would be cool). Hmmm, decisions, decisions!!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Ok...that''s a STUNNING dress. I''m worried though because your custom sketches seem like you''re going for a fancier, more elegant look. There''s something about the dress that doesn''t match the degree of elegance that I *think* you''re going for. Please correct me if I''m wrong!

Plus, I don''t really think a bolero would suit the dress. If you''re planning on switching into a different dress for the reception then I think that would work. Or, it would work as a beautiful rehearsal dinner dress!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Here is the back for you :)

backofnicolemillerdress.jpg

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 1:05:24 PM
Author: sammyj
Ok...that''s a STUNNING dress. I''m worried though because your custom sketches seem like you''re going for a fancier, more elegant look. There''s something about the dress that doesn''t match the degree of elegance that I *think* you''re going for. Please correct me if I''m wrong!

Plus, I don''t really think a bolero would suit the dress. If you''re planning on switching into a different dress for the reception then I think that would work. Or, it would work as a beautiful rehearsal dinner dress!

Thanks so much for your reply!! You''re right, my sketches are fancier for sure. The fanciness isn''t really my style, just what I think I SHOULD do to suit the occasion. Hmmm, you may be right on the bolero.

I plan to wear the same dress all night. Our rehearsal dinner is a bit more casual I think...

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 1:09:18 PM
Author: Deelight
Here is the back for you :)

Ohhhh, thanks Dee!!! I was struggling.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Okay. The dress is great! It''s different, and I love that.

If you think you need something to make it a bit more fancy, for church, then it might not be the best choice. I am stuggling with the same thing. The difference is, I might have a DW, and in that case, it might work perfectly.

I agree - NO bolero with this dress. The lines of the dress just dont'' call for it.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 1:04:17 PM
Author: leeNY
The wedding is a full Catholic ceremony (which is why I was thinking having a bolero made would be cool). Hmmm, decisions, decisions!!
I dont know that would work for a full Catholic ceremony w/mass and all. I might feel that way because I''ve never seen a dress like that worn during one. But most of the Catholic ceremonies I''ve seen, even w/ clean lines, the dresses are draped with lace... and just much more elaborate... and honestly, cover a lot more flesh.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Your welcome :).

The dress can me made to look more formal with the right accesories and the right hair etc I think it is beautiful and worth the risk for the price :).

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much Bia and tlh!!

Yeah, I don''t want to look like I am wearing a nightgown. I''ve been to dozens of Catholic weddings, and you''re right, they usually have more "substantial" dresses.

I guess I am just missing the bride gene, I just can''t get into anything that is poofy, has crinoline, beading, embroidery or lace!! *sigh*

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I''m all about enabling people to buy from this Nicole Miller Rue La La sale today! I say to go for it, especially since a few of the sketches you posted had that open back look.

I bet you can sell it for at least what you paid for it, if not more if it doesn''t work out.

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 1:18:07 PM

The dress can me made to look more formal with the right accesories and the right hair etc I think it is beautiful and worth the risk for the price :).

Thanks again, Dee. It''s hard to have simple taste when your wedding is....not so simple.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 1:26:48 PM

Date: 3/30/2009 1:18:07 PM
Thanks again, Dee. It''s hard to have simple taste when your wedding is....not so simple.
Sweetie, you can still do simple and have enough formality. You just have to dress this up a bit more. Either way, it might be worth the risk.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pretty dress hun, but even with a jacket or caplet it is still going to look like a summer dress. Your guests may wonder if the wedding had been rescheduled, lol. If it was a rich satin, you may be able to get away with it, but not that drapey knit jersey fabric.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
The dress is lovely, but I don''t think its "dressy" enough for a full Catholic wedding (JMHO of course).

Do you like this one? More expensive at $650, but still a BARGAIN!

1411519391_RLXL_1.jpg

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again all. The dress is actually a medium-weight silk - I agree, Winks, a jersey fabric wouldn''t work in terms of formality.

Inanna, that''s a stunning dress, but I really dislike the strapless style on me. It''s so weird, but to me the strapless gowns show even more skin in some respects, yet most of the Catholic weddings I''ve been to the girls wear strapless.

Somehow, this one, even with the straps, seems like it''s not substantial enough.

Just talked to my mom after trying to text her some pics. She agreed that the price is incredible, and that if I thought I could sell it later, I should go for it.

Still deciding...

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Lee, I purchased the dress. The size is too big, really two sizes too big for where I plan to be by the time I get married, but I figured I couldn''t pass it up. I''ll try it on, see if it can be altered to what I''d like, and if not, I''ll sell it.

$250 for an $800+ dress. I love a good bargain!
36.gif

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Yay, Bia!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Congrats! That''s so exciting! I hope it works for you! PLEASE post pics when it comes in!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Lee, how about pairing the strapless mermaid with a bolero? I think it would be a great look! I too don't like strapless and had a halter strap added to my dress - you could also think about that. I love that mermaid dress and would totally get it and alter the heck out of the neckline!

ETA: BTW, I love the one you picked out too, and I say who cares if it's not formal "enough." You gotta do what makes you happy!

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 4:14:28 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Lee, how about pairing the strapless mermaid with a bolero? I think it would be a great look! I too don''t like strapless and had a halter strap added to my dress - you could also think about that. I love that mermaid dress and would totally get it and alter the heck out of the neckline!

ETA: BTW, I love the one you picked out too, and I say who cares if it''s not formal ''enough.'' You gotta do what makes you happy!

Hmmmm, that''s an idea.... I do love the look of boleros. I always feel like I''m too big up top (36C, I know, not huge) to pull off a strapless, although that one is simply gorgeous, and such an amazing deal!!

Thanks for the kind words! I kind of like this one, too:

1411519408_RLMD.jpg

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s gorgeous but I''m not sure it would work for a full Catholic mass. Although wearing a bolero for the church ceremony might be an idea.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 4:25:31 PM
Hmmmm, that''s an idea.... I do love the look of boleros. I always feel like I''m too big up top (36C, I know, not huge) to pull off a strapless, although that one is simply gorgeous, and such an amazing deal!!

You and I must have very similar tastes, because that (or the one Bia bought) would have been my choice had I not bought a dress already!

As for the strapless issue...it''s funny because I always associated strapless dresses with larger breasts. I dunno, I guess it''s just because my teeny tiny booblets always look out of place in strapless styles. I always have to use double-stick tape just to keep a strapless dress from falling off of me...either that or use a huge fake padded bra. Anyway, long story short, I think 36Cs would be fine in strapless, but it''s more an issue of what your tastes are. It doesn''t matter how good it looks if you don''t love it (I learned that the hard way when I bought a dress that looks fabulous but just isn''t my style).

ash313

Brilliant_Rock

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 6:04:57 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Date: 3/30/2009 4:25:31 PM

You and I must have very similar tastes, because that (or the one Bia bought) would have been my choice had I not bought a dress already!

As for the strapless issue...it''s funny because I always associated strapless dresses with larger breasts. I dunno, I guess it''s just because my teeny tiny booblets always look out of place in strapless styles. I always have to use double-stick tape just to keep a strapless dress from falling off of me...either that or use a huge fake padded bra. Anyway, long story short, I think 36Cs would be fine in strapless, but it''s more an issue of what your tastes are. It doesn''t matter how good it looks if you don''t love it (I learned that the hard way when I bought a dress that looks fabulous but just isn''t my style).

Ha, funny! Inanna''s link is helpful to see the original dress I picked IRL. That strapless one is absolutely gorgeous, though. Could be cool with an organza ruffle added across the neckline, I''ve always thought that looked cool.

Too many decisions that need to be made like nowish!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
did you did you did you?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results