shape
carat
color
clarity

ahhh compressed air can on my ring..He was trying to help but txt

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
So I was brushing my teeth and my FI was trying to help me clean my ring and he was using his compressed air can...like the one he uses on keyboards. I saw it and put a stop to it (he is like I am not using it full force.. :/)...I dont know if it can do anything like push it out of the setting and chip the girdle...probably be just panicing but he stopped. Is this an okay way? I alyways just use the cleaner I got from wf and warm water etc.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Actually IMHO compressed air can be an excellent way to dry a diamond.
It blows ALL of the water away (which may contain minerals, traces of cleaner, residue/hand lotion/ etc that was "cleaned" from your diamond).
It even removes it under the pavilion.
Better to get it completely off your diamond.

John Pollard posted info about how important it is to keep your pavilion residue free.
Residue changes the index of refraction so light hitting a dirty diamond surface bounces at a different angle.
Your perfectly-cut diamond will no longer preform as intended.

If left on the diamond to dry the water/cleaning fluid may leave a film or little spots much like on your crystal glasses.
Drying with a cloth or tissue may transfer lint and skin oil to the diamond and not even reach into the crevices near the prongs or under the diamond.

Sure, back the diamond away so the pressure is not too great but I really like using pressurized air to dry a diamond.

Just be sure that can of air does not contain any ingredients that can leave a residue - check this by spraying some air onto a clean mirror.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I've used compressed air on my rings. It works nicely to clean out the small holes on the underside. I figure if that would loosen a stone better I do it at home.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s fine-but as Mohs says keep it a bit away from the diamond to lessen the pressure a bit.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
One danger is the force of the air surprising you and blowing the ring right out of your hand.

Hold on tight.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
well it says dont inhale and contains difluroethane...but thats the only ingrediant i see

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Spray a little on your clean mirror to see if difluroethane leaves a residue.

Oh and hold the can perfectly upright.
I think if there is stuff in there besides air it is at the bottom of the can.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve used canned air on my rings many times, mostly to dry them after cleaning.

It says don''t inhale because the propellants used cause oxygen deprivation. Some kids are stupid and like to try and get high huffing the stuff.
38.gif

Icce

Shiny_Rock
no residue on mirror. Okay when it comes to my ring I throw all the science I know out the window...and I start to think stuff in the air can would eat my whitegold or diamond away...or blow it right out of the prong chipping 1 piece of the girdle....Never said it was rational.

thanks all..I am calm now...easter lunch now....hehe

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We recommend it to our clients in conjunction with the Gemcare Products. Great way to finish a cleaning of your ring by blowing all the gunk out of the gallery. When you are done with the air finish by wiping with a soft cloth...

Wink

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I use compressed air after cleaning our jewelry - gets rid of water marks and spots!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use a hair dryer to dry my ring after I wash it with dishwashing liquid and warm water.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Totally okay!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use it after a good cleaning/scrubbing on the ring. It removes all the water and eliminates those dreaded water spots.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results