shape
carat
color
clarity

AGSL Diagram Interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

setting_help_please

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I just received a quality scan of my DQD and it forced me to see some things that I couldn''t notice before. The diamond in question is:

Carat weight: 0.95
Cut: Ideal
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 62.1%
Table %: 55%
Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick, faceted
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.30x6.33x3.92 mm

HCA: 1.3 - Excellent - within TIC range

My concern is that the attached diagram seems to have more inclusions/blemishes than other VS2 diagrams that I have seen. (Which, admittedly, isn''t that many) Unfortunately, since the scan is black and white, I can''t differentiate inclusions from blemishes. Does the number of inclusions/blemishes concern anyone? Should I be weary of the fact that there are so many around the edges of the diamond?

Thanks for your help.

agsl_diagram.gif

setting_help_please

Rough_Rock
Also,

I haven't purchased this diamond yet, so I am open to quotes on similar stones. The price for the diamond mentioned above is $5900.

Thanks.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi setting..

"I haven't purchased this diamond yet, so I am open to quotes on similar stones. The price for the diamond mentioned above is $5900."

Quote: Setting...

Publically, advertising quotes may violate
the pricescope guidelines, of vendor promotions.

So I will not do so just to be safe.

Although I do believe you may find competative prices
at even better cut and clarity qualities if you conduct a pricescope search.

To answer your question, the tiny abrasions around the
girdle periphery maybe relatively minor, but, if one
of those blemishes are a micro-fracture or feather,
it may present a potential hazzard to the girdle integrity.

It would still be advised to have your stone checked by
an independent appraiser, just to be safe.

Buy Informed!

Kirk Konst

setting_help_please

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice.

I have been researching frantically, but I haven't really been able to draw any conclusions.

Is it likely that the AGSL would grade a stone as VS2 even if its integrity is compromised by inclusions?

I'm going to have the stone independently appraised when it arrives, but I'd like to save the trouble if it is clear that this stone isn't structurally sound.

Thanks.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Setting...

You also have the option of
having your stone independently appraised
prior to making any fianacial commitments.

I do know that the "Rock Doc" stipulates
these terms to all vendors.

As for any inclusions found near the girdle
periphery,even at the VS2 level. Risks are risks,
that is why you should secure your purchase with
every available option to you. In order to secure yourself
first...

Buy Informed!

Kirk Konst

setting_help_please

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input.

If CutNut is out there I would love to hear your input. I've seen your comments on past posts that say you've never seen a diamond break from an inclusion.

Any thoughts on the diagram above?

Thanks.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
That's an interesting diagram. It would be helpful to know what the descriptions of the inclusions (as listed on the report) is for the diamond. Are those pavilion-side marks around the circumference of the stone some sort of heavy bearding, or regular feathers/something else? That's a bit spooky looking.

Concerning the diamond looking "more included" than other VS2s, it's worth noting that in theory at the VS level the clarity of the diamond is determined more by the visual impact of the inclusions more than the actual number of inclusions (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that). It's possible for one VS2 diamond to have a large number of minute inclusions that don't affect the visual appearance of the stone (at 10x), while another VS2 might have one big needle that throws if from IF to VS2. At the VS level, it's the visual impact of the inclusions that matter.

As far as the quality of the scan goes, you might want to ask the dealer to provide a better quality color scan for you so that you can more accurately examine the plot. It's certainly in your interest (and theirs) to make sure you know what you're looking at before you commit to anything.

DiamondOptics,

I suspect given some of my comments in other threads you'd rather me just not address you at all (although I hope that's not the case), but I wanted to write a quick note to say that this is a case where I think it is absolutely appropriate to be more specific in your recommendation to shop the web (or your site specifically) since the thread originator specifically asked for vendor input. I personally really appreciate your very discrete comments though, and thank you for being so conscientious . Lemme try to help:

setting_please_help,

myself so I'm unable to comment on them specifically, but I know they deal in SuperbCert diamonds, one of which I purchased about a month ago and am quite happy with. You might want to check them out during your search. :)

-Tim

[/u]

setting_help_please

Rough_Rock
I'll definitely try to get my hand on the color coded versions. I am just overly sensitive to the possibility of a VS2 breaking/cracking, or is should I, in fact, be cautious?

The way I figure, I know a lot of people with a lot of poor quality diamonds, and I've never heard of one 'breaking.'

Thanks.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
That's a good query from Tim. What are the nature of the inclusions? There should be a "key to inclusions" explanation on the cert. Can you tell us what it lists?

As for the diagram, it is a reasonable looking diagram as far as the VS2 clarity goes. Bear in mind that the inclusions look more pronounced in the diagram than they will to the eye.

The inclusions look like very slight bearding, which usually isn't a problem, but I'd be surprised to see bearding on a diamond with "ideal" on the polish.

Let us know what that "key to symbols" says and we'll all mull it over so more...

The price is not a rip-off, but I would definitely have it checked out by an independent appraiser. It's a full value for the stone, and an appraiser could tell you if it's warranted. If it's not warranted, the supplier might possibly entertain a lower offer.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I am just overly sensitive to the possibility of a VS2 breaking/cracking,
-----------

I don't think that's a concern.

setting_help_please

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice--great so far. Here is the key that comes standard on the back of the AGSL doc.

It looks like the marks on the DQD above are mostly feathers.

I don't know if this means anything, but the retailer in question is Blue Nile.

Thanks.

key.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Well, if it is feathers, or bearding, then it is minor enough to warrant a VS2 grade. Can't be too bad. Durability shouldn't be a concern either.

If you make the sale contingent upon confirmation from an independent appraiser, you can't go wrong. In the event of a non-purchase, all you've wasted is the postage, and have come that much closer to your final choice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results