shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS1 vs. AGS0

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CoitTower

Rough_Rock
I've got a question about an AGS1 stone. It's specs:
Carat:.88
Clarity: VVS2
Color: D
Depth:61.1
Table:55.6
Crown Angle:33.0
Pav Angle:40.9
Culet:.3

The only thing that makes it a AGS1 is the Crown Angle. Everyone touts AGS0
stones, but I've also heard that some non-AGS0 stones perform better (light
return etc) than AGS0. I entered this into the HCA and it came up as .5 -
within TIC range and was Excellent in 3 of 4 categories.

What are the pros/cons of this stone? It seems like it is a great one from
the HCA, but it is not an AGS0. How much does that matter? Will there be
light leakage because of the slightly out of AGS0 standard crown angle? Any
thoughts would be appreciated.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
The stone looks great. There is no reason to have concerns about it being an AGS 1 vs. and AGS 0.

Good catch! :)

CoitTower

Rough_Rock
Is there anyone out there who could give me an idea of what an ideal-scope image of this would look like? (I'm waiting for the ideal-scope in the mail right now, but am itching to get an idea of the firescope/idealscope image before purchase) I looked into DiamCalc but it doesn't seem to be avail right now. Could anyone help me out? I'd really appreciate it!:appl:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You did not give the girdle thickness. That also may be a factor in making a diamond go from AGS0 to AGS1. Some AGS1 and AGS2's are very, very nice.

CoitTower

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input. The girdle thickness is 2.0% (which seems to be within AGS 0). Check out okay?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond sounds great. :))

Vladimir

Rough_Rock
----------------
I looked into DiamCalc but it doesn't seem to be avail right now. Could anyone help me out? I'd really appreciate it!
----------------

link on the top of this page and download the DiamCalc demo successfully. What problem do you meet?

Concerning that diamond: it seems to be even better than AGS0 that would have the same parameters except the crown angle of 34°

Vladimir,
DiamCalc team.[/u]

CoitTower

Rough_Rock
I downloaded the demo, but when I tried to open it, it said the time period had expired. (I think the date said it expired 1/30/2002). Does the demo allow you to check specific parameters, or does it show you the features of the program for a specific (pre-difined) stone?

As for the diamond I've discussed, changing the crown angle into an ideal range seemed to make the HCA score worse... Very interesting. Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
HCA and the 34 vs 33 crown.
Yes a 33 crown is better with a 40.9 pavilion than 34 - 35. AGS grading system is very inflexible.

http://www.folds.net/diamond/index.html gives an explanation of why Tolkowsky angles that he published are wrong, and that shallower proportions are superior.

Vladimir

Rough_Rock
----------------
I downloaded the demo, but when I tried to open it, it said the time period had expired. (I think the date said it expired 1/30/2002). Does the demo allow you to check specific parameters, or does it show you the features of the program for a specific (pre-difined) stone?
----------------

I can only suppose that you downloaded the DiamCalc demo much earlier - before March 15. Now the new DiamCalc version is available and the demo works until July 2002.
The general restriction of the demo-version is that you can work only with marquise cut.

Vladimir,
DiamCalc team.

VampireX02

Rough_Rock
Speaking of DiamCalc...I just tried downloading v2.0 earlier tonight, and when I tried to install it, I ran an install for something called SiteChecker. When I run it...it brings up SiteChecker and nothing else. Weird.

Vladimir

Rough_Rock
----------------
Speaking of DiamCalc...I just tried downloading v2.0 earlier tonight, and when I tried to install it, I ran an install for something called SiteChecker.
----------------

Well, I suppose I know the cause of this problem. It may happen because some "setup.exe" file present in the folder where you saved and run the "setcalc2.exe" (in your case SiteChecker setup).
Solution: create an empty folder and move the setcalc2.exe there. Then run it in that empty folder.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results