shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS0 w/ just good sym??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbey

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking around the board for a while, but never posted. I reallly have enjoyed reading and learning from this site-what great info. Thanks!
Currently in our household we are getting ready for baby number 2 in early Jan. and my sweet hubby has offered to upgrade my diamond as a thank you for our babies. My question is about AGS0 diamonds.... I''m a little confused-I didn''t think that it was pos. to have an AGS0 with just GOOD sym. I''m trying to maximize the size this time, but don''t want to compromise on cut... Would buying a AGS0 with Good sym be a huge compromise? How different would it be from a diamond with VG orEX sym. Is this imposible to answer??
Thanks

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
An AGS0 is a diamond with an Ideal (or zero - 0) grade for proportions, polish and symmetry...these are sometimes erroneously referred to as AGS000 (both by the public and trade). A true AGS000 is a diamond with the highest grade (0) for color (D), clarity (FL/IF), AND with Ideal proportions, polish and symmetry.

I'm afraid the correct uses of the AGS000/0 designations seem to be going the way of the incorrect singluar/plural usages of words like "criteria" and "data"...tisk, tisk
nono.gif

abbey

Rough_Rock
Gary-Thanks for your message. I'm curious though.... when I did my pricescope search for stones and indicated that I wanted to see AGS0 stones by clicking the "box", does pricescope not eliminate the proper stones?

bling

Shiny_Rock
What a sweet husband! But..hey..you deserve it..
9.gif
12.gif

im not expert, but i thought an AGS0 on polish symetry was the same as a GIA ex/ex...so an AGS0 would not be able to have only good polish symetry...someone please chime in if im incorrect...
good luck!
appl.gif
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGS0 is not the same as AGS000. What you are looking for is an AGS0 stone. It seems that the stone you found only has good symm which means that the vendor mistakenly is calling it an AGS0 stone.

AGS0 stones as Gary noted should have ideal polish, ideal symmetry, and ideal proportions, all leading up to the big AGS0 grade which means ideal cut (well in a very loose way as you should know if you have been lurking around).

So it would seem that NO...a real AGS0 grade should not have just 'good' on symmetry. Chances are the stone was graded not by AGS but by GIA or similar, and the vendor just lumped it in somehow as AGS0 which means that the Pricescope engine WILL pull it, if it was input by the vendor as AGS0.

Try searching using the 'cut quality' search on Pscope's homepage. That will get you some nicely cut stones.
2.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The term AGS-0 has been misused just about as much as the term H&A. If a diamond cutter/wholesaler has a diamond that comes up with a Sarin report that says AGS-0, regardless of polish and symmetry, they will call it an AGS-0. Since the American Gem Society is the owner of the AGS grading system it is they who should be the only ones to use their own terms. AGS grades the proportions, symmetry, polish, color and clarity. Each of these is graded on a 0 to 10 grade, 0 being the highest or Ideal. An AGS Ideal cut diamond has a 0 grade on proportions, symmetry and polish. According to the American Gem Society Diamond Grading Standards a diamond reading: Rd br AGS Grade 0/0/0 – 1.00 ct is a D-Flawless 1.00 carat Ideal cut diamond. That is where the industry got the AGS-000 or triple zero and then they got lazy and just called it an ags0. It is a case of an industry jumping on the bandwagon and calling non-deserving diamonds something that they are not. A true AGS Ideal cut diamond will have an AGS Lab Diamond Grading Report that reads Ideal. A GIA graded diamond with EX/EX and a Sarin that reads ags-0 is still not an AGS Ideal cut diamond.

The same thing has happened to the term H&A. If a diamond looks anything like it might have hearts and arrows, many cutters/wholesalers and others will label the diamond H&A. There is even a vendor here on Pricescope that calls these B and C grade H&A. So much for ethics.

There are standards for both Ideal cut and H&A but many people disregard those standards for the almighty dollar!
It is the consumer that is being deceived.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results