shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS0 a "must-have"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been searching through the price search on this website looking for a princess-cut diamond for an engagement setting. I have read more than a few articles and posts that suggest cut is perhaps the most important aspect to pay attention to when diamond shopping. Therefore, I searched exclusively for AGS0 diamonds. When I search Whiteflash for the carat range I am looking for, being 1.1-1.25, I only find two diamonds (granted, I''m entering color and clarity parameters as well).

When I search for non-AGS0 diamonds, quite a few more pop up. So, my questions are:

1. Can a person find a non-AGS0 diamond that will still shine and sparkle as well as an AGS0? Is it a noticeable difference?

2. Since I want to go more toward 1.25 ct., would I notice a significant difference if I dropped it down to, say 1.14 ct.?

Thanks in advance :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, just more difficult

generally, no. a few points here and there...

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 3:40:22 PM
Author:MeddlingKids
I''ve been searching through the price search on this website looking for a princess-cut diamond for an engagement setting. I have read more than a few articles and posts that suggest cut is perhaps the most important aspect to pay attention to when diamond shopping. Therefore, I searched exclusively for AGS0 diamonds. When I search Whiteflash for the carat range I am looking for, being 1.1-1.25, I only find two diamonds (granted, I''m entering color and clarity parameters as well).

When I search for non-AGS0 diamonds, quite a few more pop up. So, my questions are:

1. Can a person find a non-AGS0 diamond that will still shine and sparkle as well as an AGS0? Is it a noticeable difference?

2. Since I want to go more toward 1.25 ct., would I notice a significant difference if I dropped it down to, say 1.14 ct.?

Thanks in advance :)

I just bought a diamong that just misses AGS-0 standards... It was right on the cusp, but naarrowly missed (it actually met old AGS0 standards, but they recently tightened them, and I''m on the outside looking in now). haha.... anyhow, the stone was amazing... i think the point is... you get more of a sure thing with AGSO...

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
When you see a diamond that is extremely well cut, like an AGS0, does it really look alot different in normal viewing conditions when compared to a diamond with a "good" cut?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Just stopping by to share with some of my favorite posters here, that I love this writer''s screen name, appreciate the empirical edge of your question (to which I can''t help too much), but can share that other sources for AGS0 Princesses you may want to consider include Exceldiamonds.com, and the Infinity network of dealers.

Regards,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Watch this on the WF channel above tonight...Your question will be answered.
2-6 Tuesday 5PM EST
Brian Gavin: “The Princess’ New Clothes”
How AGS has helped revolutionize the Princess Cut
(Requested bonus material: X-Factor Backstage Pass)

My answer, with a round no, with a princess an almost yes.
There are a few vendors that have the tools to seperate out the non-ags princess diamonds and some of them can match the AGS0 princess diamonds.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 4:25:47 PM
Author: strmrdr
Watch this on the WF channel above tonight...Your question will be answered.
2-6 Tuesday 5PM EST
Brian Gavin: “The Princess’ New Clothes”
How AGS has helped revolutionize the Princess Cut
(Requested bonus material: X-Factor Backstage Pass)

My answer, with a round no, with a princess an almost yes.
There are a few vendors that have the tools to seperate out the non-ags princess diamonds and some of them can match the AGS0 princess diamonds.

oops, i didnt see it was a princess cut. i don''t know a thing here.
9.gif

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I''m not familiar with the WF channel. Care to elaborate?

Thanks

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha.... guess we had to name it something. whiteflash is having a presentation on princesses today.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, and it looks like it''s starting in 25 minutes!

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Look at the top of the main portion of Rocky Talk. You''ll see a yellow bar. On the right, you can click to expand.

Today, Brian Gavin, cutter/mastermind of the A Cut Above Branded Hearts and Arrows AND Princess cut diamonds, from White Flash, is giving a presentation on Princess cuts.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Weird. I don''t see the yellow bar you mentioned.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is under: » Home » » Diamond Prices and Grading » » RockyTalky

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
You have to be looking at the Rocky Talk section of the Forum. You won''t see it at the top of your thread.
9.gif

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
No, I know. I went out to the forum view, and still nothing.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm...Flash 9?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I know at my office, I had to download the new version of what I guess JuleN had identified. But, I was prompted. I''m using IE...not sure if that makes a difference. And, the yellow bar will appear on virtually all the boards here.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Whoops. I didn''t have flash installed. Drrrr!

Hey are these recorded? I have to get on a conference call at 2pm.
8.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
err, not yet
8.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi meddlingkids,

Love your name and I can relate.
5.gif

It is most certainly possible to identify non AGS princess cuts that have ideal light performance. I generally search among the AGS ideals first but when the options are too limiting, GIA or any other labs princess cuts can be tested and verified for light performance and look every bit as beautiful. And yes, there is definitely a difference in appearance between princess cuts with top light performance and those that don''t. Some even feel AGS'' grade is a tad loose but for the most part its the tightest system currently around outside of independant testing for light performance.

All the best,

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Rhino. It sounds as though I may stick to the AGS0 diamonds. I will give your website a look as well.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a job for Scooby Doo.

WF is great..I''ll hope to tune in shortly.

Jonathan at GOG has the goods, too.

Also, I''ve heard good things about Barry at Excel Diamonds. And, that he might prefer some of the GIA options they cut/have on hand, but also stocks AGS0 because....he knows it''s good to do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results