shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS vs. Sarin numbers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am looking at a diamond that shows different numbers on the AGS report than the Sarin report. This affects the HCA score, as well. Which numbers should I believe?

AGS says:
Depth: 61.5
Table: 56.9
Crown Angle: 34.9
Pavilion Angle: 40.9

This brings up HCA of 1.9
Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Very Good
Scintillation: Very Good
Spread: Very Good

Sarin says:
Depth: 61.4
Table: 57.4
Crown Angle: 34.8
Pavilion Angle: 40.8

This brings up HCA of 1.5
Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread: Very Good

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Err.. why? both numbers are below HCA 2 anyway. HCA score is only a rejection tool, remember that.

I would believe AGS, Sarin depends on how well it is calibrated before it measures your stone, might be some time since it was last calibrated, etc...

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was thinking it was better to have a Fire and Scintillation score of excellent than very good. Is that not so?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
You still can't tell from the numbers.

If you really want to believe in a number, AGS is safer. Ask yourself, will a lab calibrate it's instrument more carefully, frequently, because that is it's livelihood and accuracy of that data is of great importance because that is what their Cut Performance is based on or a Jeweler, who usse that to provide more data, probably do not even have on employment, a trained technician to maintain, calibrate that equipment in question, just requesting servicing from the vendor once in a while?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another diamond I am interested in went from a HCA of 1.7 based on the GIA numbers to a HCA of 2.1 based on the very slightly different Sarin numbers for the crown angle. Which numbers would you trust in this case? I''ve read here that GIA rounds their numbers, so would you trust the Sarin in this case?

GIA says:
Depth: 62.8
Table: 54
Crown Angle: 35
HCA score 1.7 Excellent

Sarin says:
Depth: 62.8
Table: 54
Crown Angle: 35.2
HCA score 2.1 Very Good

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably, as GIA apparently rounded down the crown angle to 35 degree.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGS are the numbers of authority in the first case. Second case hardly any variance where it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results