shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS vs GEMEX

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flyboy

Rough_Rock

Hello all,

This is a great site and tons of good information. I would like to pose a question to all with an opinion.

I have been in the market for an engagement ring for the last month and have shopped dozens of stores in town. After talking with numerous sales people, the only conclusion I have come to is that they believe everyone else is wrong and misrepresenting the stones. I am looking for an AGS ideal cut certified stone so I can compare apples to apples when going to different stores.

I am looking for the following:
1.0 carrot
Round
AGS cert idea cut
G-H
SI1-SI2

I have searched online and found some in the $5k range and a couple stores in town have similar stones for the same price. However, one of the stores has one for $6100 (their cheapest one). They also have 6-5 cut stones in the $5k range. I really like the sales people at this store but understand that they are just trying to sell diamonds. They are saying that the other stores are misrepresenting their diamonds and probably have forged AGS Certs and there is no way they can sell for under $6k. They base their grading on the AGS report and the GEMEX reports. They say that the brilliance (from the GEMEX) has more to do with the stones than any of the four C''s.

My questions are:
How likely is it that the AGS cert is wrong or forged?

Is an AGS ideal certified stone at one store the same as another?

How much weight should be placed on a GEMEX report (there is only one store in town that does it?)

Is it wrong to buy the stones and have them appraised at an independent jeweler and return the one(s) I don''t want?

I would appreciate any help. This has become a very overwhelming and frustrating process and I don''t know who to trust anymore. Thanks in advance.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Flyboy,

How likely is it that the AGS cert is wrong or forged?

Not very likely. I've seen counterfeit lab reports but never from AGS. If you're concerned, have the stone and the report examined by a professional appraiser who has done it before. Most of us have seen hundreds of these reports. This is the reason the plotting diagram is included. "Wrong" is a difficult one to answer. Skilled gemologists often disagree about grading topics. AGS has a good reputation but this doesn't mean that everyone will agree with their opinions.

Is an AGS ideal certified stone at one store the same as another?

No.

How much weight should be placed on a GEMEX report (there is only one store in town that does it?)

Personally I'm not impressed by them although they are pretty fun to play with. Others like them quite a bit. Not surprisingly, their biggest fans are the people who are selling using them.

Is it wrong to buy the stones and have them appraised at an independent jeweler and return the one(s) I don't want?

Actually it's typical. It's what puts food on my table.
1.gif
If you are going to do this, make sure that all the sellers involved understand what your plans are and that you comply with the terms of their return policy. Read it carefuly before you sign on the dotted line.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock

(How much weight should be placed on a GEMEX report (there is only one store in town that does it?)

Personally I''m not impressed by them although they are pretty fun to play with. Others like them quite a bit. Not surprisingly, their biggest fans are the people who are selling using them.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

denverappraiser

I agree but last time I said something like that I got a phone call from them, upset with my statement.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results