shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS v. GIA cert.?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2carrots

Rough_Rock
Is there much of a difference in terms of grading system, prestige and overall value between an AGS and GIA cert.? A jeweler tried to tell me today that GIA was more well-respected because it was "internationally known" while AGS was only domestic. I found an AGS diamond with almost identical specs. as a GIA diamond, but for $1,000 less. Was the jeweler trying to give me the hard sell? :Up_to_something:

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
your dealer lied to you. as for respect. AGS and GIA are pretty much about the same for most people. rather respected, though not *perfect. However, it has been my experiance that the AGS cert carries a HIGHER price tage compartively. though this is just through my own browsing. I would recomend that you stay away from any dealer who tells you any kind of claims like that. "don't worry about it" "that is just technical stuff" etc... GIA and AGS are BOTH good. forget the dealer. find someone else. there are plenty of good dealers online, who will go out of their way to help you.

2carrots

Rough_Rock
I thought something smelled fishy. Too bad. The jeweler actually was a B & M store that was referred by a friend who bought got her e-ring from him.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
After reading about 40 hours online and then buying an e-ring -- I really learned all of the scams from visiting dealers. Man of man, anyone who buys an e-ring without doing lots of research is going to get much less quality than possible for any given budget.
If you want the simple answer, search here (based on cut quality), https://www.pricescope.com/sift.asp
Buy one of these stones online (I suggest H/SI1 or better) -- and you are so far ahead of the game it is not even funny.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
Is there much of a difference in terms of grading system, prestige and overall value between an AGS and GIA cert.?
----------------

As Sylvesterii and Rsilvers said, AGS grading is considered as strict as GIA plus you got the cut grading with crown and pavilion angles. Diamond with AGS0 report might cost a bit more than same diamond with GIA report.

----------------
A jeweler tried to tell me today that GIA was more well-respected because it was “internationally known” while AGS was only domestic.
----------------

It is true. GIA is known world wide while AGS mainly in America but it doesn't diminish the accuracy of the report and if you live in America it shouldn’t bother you at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results