shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS "triple ideal" vs. HCA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I realize this might be a loaded question, but here's my problem.

I've received some quotes of diamonds which seem low on AGS scale (3A, etc.) but rate very high on HCA (.9). Then I've seen diamonds which rate AGS triple ideal (including hearts and arrows) but low (3.7) on HCA.

I am doing this all online, so seeing the diamonds isn't an option (of course I can return, but would like to get it right the first time and won't have anything to compare it to anyway).

So my question, what the heck should I do? Should I go with AGS triple ideal? Or look for non-AGS ideal values that rate well on HCA? What is more reliable/accurate -- AGS or HCA? The jeweler I am dealing says HCA is not industry standard, and presumably he's right. But is it better, worse, or just different? Which is more accurate and reliable? I want a spectacular ring, obviously, with maximum sparkle, etc.

Thoughts?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
read all the info at www.diamond-cut.com.au and http://www.gemology.ru/cut/index.htm

This will take some time (good bed time reading for insomniacs).

Then report back on who is more right, and where industry standards will go.

Interesting aside - AGS are working on a fancy shapes cut grading system and they are using the Firescope (similar to ideal-scope) as part of that system.

let us know what you think.

(bet you thought this would be easy?)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Here are some thoughts. First of all, any diamond sparkles. Some stones sparkle more. Some stones are cut to very strict standards and consistency of proportions and symmetry. Those diamonds are sort of crème a la crème.

Every diamond even poor cut has its price. The difference can be up to 50%-60% between poor cut and ideal cut stones.

Today's cut grading systems including AGS are not accurate enough.

Garry's believes when a new cut grading systems will be developed, some of the diamonds that today considered off makes will become more valuable while some of today's AGS ideal will loose their value.

HCA is the first attempt to help consumers finding nice stones without paying AGS0 premium. Those diamonds can cost more in the future. HCA also helps to avoid those AGS-ideals that are not "ideal" enough :)

However, different diamonds with low HCA score can look differently. Once you found a stone with HCA

----------------
I've received some quotes of diamonds which seem low on AGS scale (3A, etc.) but rate very high on HCA (.9). Then I've seen diamonds which rate AGS triple ideal (including hearts and arrows) but low (3.7) on HCA.
----------------

---------
So my question, what the heck should I do? Should I go with AGS triple ideal? Or look for non-AGS ideal values that rate well on HCA? What is more reliable/accurate -- AGS or HCA? The jeweler I am dealing says HCA is not industry standard, and presumably he's right. But is it better, worse, or just different? Which is more accurate and reliable? I want a spectacular ring, obviously, with maximum sparkle, etc.
----------------

There is no reason to pay premium for AGS0 that scores >2 on HCA. You can get excellent AGS0 stone with close to Tolkowski proportions but it can cost you some 20%-15% more.

Stone with 30 degree crown angle and HCA
Sorry but at this point only your eyes can be the judge.
[/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results