shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS to Resume Grading Lab Diamonds

Ada Diamonds CEO

Rough_Rock
Trade
Exciting news this week that AGS is restarting their grading of man-made diamonds.

It's a little known fact, but AGS used to grade lab diamonds up until 2013.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that’s exciting news for buyers!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
When will they start? :)

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Neat! Do you have opinions on whether they are stricter on color and clarity grading than IGI?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGS notes that its reports contain these features:

• Unique color and clarity grading nomenclature, enhanced educational information, and a focus on precision cutting.
  • The only one of its kind offering AGS Ideal laboratory-grown diamonds.
  • Two laser inscriptions, which will clearly identify that the diamond is laboratory-grown.
  • Growth details regarding the laboratory-grown diamond.
Any idea if the 'unique nomenclature' is the 'regular' AGS grading scales or if it's unique to LG stones?

I'm also wondering if the 'growth details' means they will be telling if CVD vs HPHT.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Will these be subject to the same cut grading eg will be available for fancy shapes?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
AGS notes that its reports contain these features:

• Unique color and clarity grading nomenclature, enhanced educational information, and a focus on precision cutting.
  • The only one of its kind offering AGS Ideal laboratory-grown diamonds.
  • Two laser inscriptions, which will clearly identify that the diamond is laboratory-grown.
  • Growth details regarding the laboratory-grown diamond.
Any idea if the 'unique nomenclature' is the 'regular' AGS grading scales or if it's unique to LG stones?

I'm also wondering if the 'growth details' means they will be telling if CVD vs HPHT.

I’m interested about this too; I’d love to see the grading account for MMD-specific issues like stria and brown (rather than yellow) color tones.

hollandog

Rough_Rock
Can consumer send their mounted diamond to AGS for grading?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No. They only do unmounted stones and they only accept work from jewelers. Pretty much any jeweler or appraiser who wants to can help you out with it.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
No. They only do unmounted stones and they only accept work from jewelers. Pretty much any jeweler or appraiser who wants to can help you out with it.

Do you happen to know when they will star grading?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They're in the prototype phase at the moment. Service will be available to beta-test type jewelers in September with a broad roll-out sometime after that.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's a digital-only service. No fancy report cover or laminated report although I suppose you could laminate one yourself if you want.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I love that it has an ASET! I hope they become a popular choice for grading.

Ada Diamonds CEO

Rough_Rock
Trade
I've been in touch with the CEO of AGS today, and I'll be speaking with her and their head of grading next week.

Neat! Do you have opinions on whether they are stricter on color and clarity grading than IGI?

I find IGI to be stricter than GCAL in most cases, and have seen IGI be stricter than GIA. This boogeyman about IGI loosely grading may be true in natural, but it's not true in lab grown.

I have no data on AGS, as the only diamonds that AGS graded were 2013 and older, and all mid-near-colorless.

I believe so, yes. I don't know if they'll discuss post growth treatment, as this is a matter of interpretation of when the growth cycle is finished and what defines treatment. IE LPHT is an option, but it's not really a post-growth.

Do you happen to know when they will star grading?

A few of my growers have goods in motion to AGS now, hoping to have the results relatively soon. Given that there's not a ton of goods coming from Surat (mined or man-made) the grading labs are not oversaturated these days.

It's a digital-only service. No fancy report cover or laminated report although I suppose you could laminate one yourself if you want.

I believe it's $30 for the fancy laminated report if the submitter wants to purchase one. Dunno if they'll offer that for lab diamonds. Will find out!

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
This is great news! How exciting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results