shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS report from 2000 - same?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember reading that GIA revamped its criteria sometime ago such that if one has a report from before then, they should have their stone recerted. I am trying to confirm whether AGS has done something similar or if an AGS 0 graded in 2000 would still be an AGS 0 today.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I think they revised it around 2004 or 2005 so it might not qualify under their new grading standards.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are byuing or selling a diamond with a 2000 report, I would say yes, a buyer would want a current report to be sure of the current condition of the diamond. If it is a diamond you already have and plan to keep, I really see no reason to get it regraded.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a maybe buy. Small enough stone that asking him to recert is not realistic. Here are the specs. The report is not available online cuz it's before 2001.

Table=56%
Depth=61%
ca=34.3
pa=40.8 or 40.6
crown height=14.9%

I couldn't read the pavilion depth for sure.

Terner

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well it won't be those numbers that'll break a deal, they look great

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ringo865|1444828720|3938143 said:
I remember reading that GIA revamped its criteria sometime ago such that if one has a report from before then, they should have their stone recerted. I am trying to confirm whether AGS has done something similar or if an AGS 0 graded in 2000 would still be an AGS 0 today.
It may or may not be AGS0 today. From 1996 when the lab was established until 2005 AGS cut grading was done by looking at averaged 2 dimensional measures and compared against predetermined charts, much like GIA still does it today. In 2005 AGSL introduced light performance grading which involves direct assessment through ray tracing and takes into account the contribution of every facet. There is a very good chance that the diamond will still be ideal as diamonds cut for AGS Ideal pre- LP grading were still among the best crafted diamonds on the market.

If you are buying a pre-owned stone you should either get an updated cert or have it examined by a qualified independent appraiser not connected with the sale. The main thing is that you want to be certain the diamond matches the cert and is in original condition.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ringo865|1444856294|3938295 said:
It's a maybe buy. Small enough stone that asking him to recert is not realistic. Here are the specs. The report is not available online cuz it's before 2001.

Table=56%
Depth=61%
ca=34.3
pa=40.8 or 40.6
crown height=14.9%

I couldn't read the pavilion depth for sure.
How small? A new inspection on, say, a 0.70 will be under $100 and take about a week. If this is a dealer, they should do it (unless they already know the answer and this is the REASON they haven't either already done it or converted it to GIA branding). The paperwork doesn't make it a better stone, of course, but it's obvious from the question that you care if it's AGS-ideal or not and presumably they're making that claim. The burden is on them to back this up and, so far, they have not done so.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results