shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS recognised in UK?

amnamn180

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I think I've settled on buying an AGS cert diamond. However, I notice they are not particularly recognised in the UK. Maybe recognised is the wrong word, but everything seems to be GIA or IGI. As I will be returning to the UK in the future, is buying an AGS cert diamond a sensible move?

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
AGS is like the MIT of diamond grading labs. They are a single-location, doing far less volume than the others you name, but they are highly specialized in the area of cut quality.

For long-term security - presuming you'll be securing insurance outside of the USA, be sure your insurer recognizes AGS and will facilitate equal replacement (another diamond which has the same AGS pedigree) in the unlikely case of damage or loss.

In terms of recognition (in general) our vetted PriceScope vendors often support their clients with generous upgrade policies. If you're using one of those vendors the ability to re-engage and make an apples-to-apples upgrade is (arguably) more significant to any future plans than what lab issued the report.

As someone who also lives in a place where AGS is not well known or recognised, I would probably ask to get the stone dual-certed by GIA for peace of mind. Though that is probably more important for resale purposes.

amnamn180

Rough_Rock
Thanks both. How easy would it be for me to get it GIA certed at a later date? (e.g: the diamond is being purchased for an engagement. It is going to be under 1ct, and I would like to think we would never need to sell it, only upgrade it). So getting it dual certed would only be necessary if at a later date.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Thanks both. How easy would it be for me to get it GIA certed at a later date?

If you ever found it necessary, GIA has a school - and gemstone take-in window - on Great Russell street in London.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you ever found it necessary, GIA has a school - and gemstone take-in window - on Great Russell street in London.
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that the grading service was only done in a laboratory. Great Russell street is a campus only where one can train for a GG diploma
It was possible to get diamonds graded in London until a few years ago.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked into this right before the pandemic and to get a GIA the stone would have to be posted, loose, to GIA in New York. I couldn't insure a loose stone for international shipping plus it could have been a VAT and tax nightmare so I decided not to do it. I considered HRD, who seems to be the most well known and highly esteemed lab here in the UK, but ended up leaving it mounted, it's small by PS standards so I was willing to deal with it being less accurate, and using AnchorCert which is part of the Birmingham Assay Office.

If the stone is already loose and in the States I'd have it sent to GIA now.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
You'll have to send to the GIA lab in Antwerp.
There appears to be a 5 diamond minimum per shipment. The minimum may not apply for in-person drop-off and pick-up.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about getting an AGS000 diamond dual graded by GIA, unless the added retained/resale value would be substantially more than the cost of the GIA grading service...but only before the time of sale so that it is a "fresh" grading report.

I'll echo what has been stated already: perhaps limit yourself to sellers of AGS000 diamonds that have a generous upgrade program (which included their international customers, if shopping overseas), then you won't have to worry about any of it.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that the grading service was only done in a laboratory. Great Russell street is a campus only where one can train for a GG diploma
It was possible to get diamonds graded in London until a few years ago.

I used the language "take-in window" above because it was possible - in the past - to submit gemstones in locations without a lab - they would perform take-in, send it for grading and have it returned. I'm unsure how 2020 impacted that, so one would need to check.

@DejaWiz identified their lab location in Antwerp - which used to be a take-in window, by the way. It may be most practical for someone in the UK.

It is going to be under 1ct, and I would like to think we would never need to sell it, only upgrade it). So getting it dual certed would only be necessary if at a later date.

If you feel it's likely you'll upgrade through the original seller sometime down the road the expense of dual-certing now seems like wasted money, since the second report would have no purpose in that transaction.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results