shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS Proportions Chart (Excel Format)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone happen to have, or know where I can find a copy of the most recent AGS proportions chart?

I have a PDF version but would like an Excel version as I have an idea I'm working on.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, wow never mind. Bluebeam PDF software to the rescue.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you but I got it!

Normally Bluebeam gives me fits but I'm typically dealing with engineering drawings so maybe they have some sort of protection to frustrate me, lol. Not defeat, just slow down. ;)2

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I second what Neil said the charts are cutting guidelines not grading charts for the platinum report AGS0.
They are similar but not the same as what will get the ags0 Platinum grade.
Unless you are talking about the rarely if ever used AGS Gold report grade which is chart based.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most recent? Current AGS cut grading is not based on a proportion chart, and hasn't been for more than a decade.

I second what Neil said the charts are cutting guidelines not grading charts for the platinum report AGS0.
They are similar but not the same as what will get the ags0 Platinum grade.
Unless you are talking about the rarely if ever used AGS Gold report grade which is chart based.

Thanks guys!

I was aware it's old and not used as a guaranteed cut grade criterion; however, it seems to get very close and should help for short listing potential stones. It will never replace a more thorough analysis, but maybe it will help in some manner. I know I find it useful when looking at stones, although I also understand I have to take with a grain of salt.

Anyhow, I built a spreadsheet with drop down menus, conditional formatting and fancy formulas that make pulling the data and presenting much easier and faster than using the PDF charts and marking them up.

Thoughts?
Capture.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't messed with it much, but I'd also like to find a way to somehow hot link the diamond data to PS and pull in an HCA score as well. I realize I'd need to a field for depth, and possibly GIA cert number.

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
Lol, now I’ve got you figured out @sledge! You’re an engineer. Hence the heightened interest in the CADs. And the need to build a spreadsheet to do something. And the perfectionism. I know your type... I’ve got some experience with Bluebeam myself, lol

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, this is awesome :ugeek: but I have to ask... does the HCA calculator not also give the coloured ideal/excellent/etc. ranges as a background on which to drop the X??

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys!

I was aware it's old and not used as a guaranteed cut grade criterion; however, it seems to get very close and should help for short listing potential stones. It will never replace a more thorough analysis, but maybe it will help in some manner. I know I find it useful when looking at stones, although I also understand I have to take with a grain of salt.

Anyhow, I built a spreadsheet with drop down menus, conditional formatting and fancy formulas that make pulling the data and presenting much easier and faster than using the PDF charts and marking them up.

Thoughts?
Capture.PNG
Interesting tool! What is meant by 'magnitude certainty'?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting tool! What is meant by 'magnitude certainty'?

Thank you! I find it interesting, but I'm fairly new to all this, so it's likely very elementary in the big picture.

When you enter the exact angles & table, you land precisely at a value (0). By going to a +1 magnitude of certainty I would either increase or decrease both the crown (0.5+/-) or the pavilion (0.1+/-) in each direction of the exact value.

This would double for a magnitude of 2 and triple for a magnitude of 3.

It was my way of dealing with how GIA uses less precise 2D modeling and funky rounding/averaging of those values. As you are aware, although a certain value is reported, the actual values can vary. I think a magnitude of 1 is most reasonable, but I wanted to include 2 and 3 for my own purposes to get a broader view.

Below are some screen shots illustrating my point. Excuse the clunky box outlines. While I know how to write the formulas to conditional format the box outlines, I do not have any options available to allow me to change thickness/boldness of the outlines that I have when I manually do them.

FYI, to the point that @denverappraiser made earlier -- these AGS charts do not guarantee cut grade. A stone I was looking at earlier today was certified AGS Ideal 0 with the values shown in the screen shots below. As you can see, it landed "precisely" on EX and had a 33% chance of hitting ideal by using the blue box (magnitude of 1). I found it interesting because had it been a GIA XXX stone I probably would have passed as it didn't meet preferred angles and had a greater chance of NOT being ideal, especially if performance images were unavailable to review ahead of time.

Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture3.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fixed conditional formatting of borders. Just had to inverse my thinking. Start with thick borders and when there was blanks, it took it back to normal.

Capture.PNG

al7

Rough_Rock
Where can I download a copy of the spreadsheet?

bps413

Shiny_Rock
What you're building sounds similar to a tool I discovered - Diamond Screener Cut Estimator - where you can enter PA, CA and Table and it estimates the cut grade for GIA and AGS. Love the idea of showing how this information intersects with PS diamond data!

al7

Rough_Rock
yeah, good website, thanks. I like spreadsheet b/c I can run large data set through it though.

y s

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys!

Thoughts?
Capture.PNG

where can i get this?!?! :D

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My spreadsheet? At one point I had converted to Google Sheets and was sharing so others could partake. However, I was asked not to do so as it was similar in nature to a different product. My intent was never to copy or compete so I complied. As such I think all the links were removed and I won’t repost per the gentleman’s agreement I made.

However, I do still have everything. When helping others find a stone I will sometimes post screen caps of the results. However, you can also use HCA cut calculator as an alternative.

Are you looking at a specific stone?

y s

Rough_Rock
My spreadsheet? At one point I had converted to Google Sheets and was sharing so others could partake. However, I was asked not to do so as it was similar in nature to a different product. My intent was never to copy or compete so I complied. As such I think all the links were removed and I won’t repost per the gentleman’s agreement I made.

However, I do still have everything. When helping others find a stone I will sometimes post screen caps of the results. However, you can also use HCA cut calculator as an alternative.

Interesting, the HCA didn't work for me, perhaps I did something wrong. Here are the specs. It s a 2.02 carat
1676240617743.png

y s

Rough_Rock
40.2 pavilion is too shallow for a ring.

I think I figured out the tool...If I read this correctly, this isn't so bad is it?

1676321376675.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I figured out the tool...If I read this correctly, this isn't so bad is it?

1676321376675.png

In a pendant or earring it has potential hence the hca score.
In a ring not so much.
The hca doesn't weed out stones that are better when not used in rings like some systems do.

y s

Rough_Rock
In a pendant or earring it has potential hence the hca score.
In a ring not so much.
The hca doesn't weed out stones that are better when not used in rings like some systems do.

what system do you recommend?
Interesting, the HCA didn't work for me, perhaps I did something wrong. Here are the specs. It s a 2.02 carat
1676240617743.png

still curious for your opinion :D

y s

Rough_Rock

still curious for your opinion :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results