shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS introduces cut grading on DQR reports

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 5:05:11 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Re scanner accuracy - you aint seen nothing Gentlemen:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=-zmBAAAAEBAJ&dq=sivovolenko+diamond

Michael you can be myopic - a consumer knows more than you - read and learn.
You like to simplify complex issues - they dont always conform, Storm is right.
Trouble with ALL patents is that they are typically written by lawyers so they obsfucate enough to be unfathomable, are filled with hyperbole and non facts, and sometimes so general in nature trying to be all inclusive, yet confusing to the reader, never revealing the actual mechanization. Be nice if they were required to be simple and straightforward and written in plain English. Give you a headache reading them..

Kudus to Sergey anyway
36.gif

It can be a pain in the neck and very very expensive process, if you let the lawyers have their way.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/5/2008 7:53:22 PM
Author: beryl

Date: 11/5/2008 2:25:06 PM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 11/5/2008 1:59:04 PM
Author: adamasgem
I might also add that both surface roughness and concavity issues make Ray tracing impossible to use for optimization purposes because the reflected ray is not in the 'known' plane of incidence.
Any concavity on one or more facets, woud distort the visual optical symmetry, would it not?
Visual optical symmetry without physical symmetry becomes difficult, at best.
I believe it would!

How do we know the facets have no concavity??

After all..., once you transform/change the natural form/shape of a Diamond from its whole or complete rough structure..., its hardness becomes vulnerable and its shape may become distorted.
It is virtually impossible to produce a concave facet with a typical flat lap. Convexity probable exists on all facets made with 'flat' lap, even if it is perfectly flat. because of buildup of polish and swarf ahead of the stone and/or elasic deformation of the lap forming a 'wave' ahead of stone pressure area (no matter how rigid, all materials have some elasticity). Such flatness errors are generally too small to measure.
I worked for a company that made honing and lapping equipment; we dealt with quantities not normally realized by custoners. When they wanted 'flat', we asked 'how flat', When they wanted 'smooth' we asked 'how smooth' (all metals appear black at 1/10 microinch finish, require Newtoniam light rays to measure).
When cutting (colored stones) I judge flatness by tilting the stone to view reflection of a straight line, such as a fluorescent light, to see if it is straight, and tilt the stone to see that it stays straight as it moves across the surface; dropoff at leading edge of facet (when lapping) is common with colored stones for various reasons.
30 years ago there was a company that used cylindrical laps for automatic cutting of synthetic sapphires; this counter-acted the tendency to produce convex facets when cutting fast and thus produced an apparently flat facet !
re:30 years ago there was a company that used cylindrical laps for automatic cutting of synthetic sapphires; this counter-acted the tendency to produce convex facets when cutting fast and thus produced an apparently flat facet !

Bruce,

There were not such laps for diamond cutting 30 years ago(even 10 years ago and may be even 5 years ago) . Its came just in last years( special ceramic ). It will change a lot in diamond processing in next few years. accuracy and flatness will much higher (specially for fancy cuts) .
Concave facets with good smoothness will possible for diamonds too
Pavilion concave facets could significantly increase Diamond appearance .

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 5:43:19 AM
Author: Serg

I might also add that both surface roughness and concavity issues make Ray tracing impossible to use for optimization purposes because the reflected ray is not in the ''known'' plane of incidence.
Any concavity on one or more facets, woud distort the visual optical symmetry, would it not?
I believe it would!

After all..., once you transform/change the natural form/shape of a Diamond from its whole or complete rough structure..., its hardness becomes vulnerable and its shape may become distorted.
It is virtually impossible to produce a concave facet with a typical flat lap. Convexity probable exists on all facets made with ''flat'' lap, even if it is perfectly flat. because of buildup of polish and swarf ahead of the stone and/or elasic deformation of the lap forming a ''wave'' ahead of stone pressure area (no matter how rigid, all materials have some elasticity). Such flatness errors are generally too small to measure.
I worked for a company that made honing and lapping equipment; we dealt with quantities not normally realized by custoners. When they wanted ''flat'', we asked ''how flat'', When they wanted ''smooth'' we asked ''how smooth'' (all metals appear black at 1/10 microinch finish, require Newtoniam light rays to measure).
When cutting (colored stones) I judge flatness by tilting the stone to view reflection of a straight line, such as a fluorescent light, to see if it is straight, and tilt the stone to see that it stays straight as it moves across the surface; dropoff at leading edge of facet (when lapping) is common with colored stones for various reasons.
30 years ago there was a company that used cylindrical laps for automatic cutting of synthetic sapphires; this counter-acted the tendency to produce convex facets when cutting fast and thus produced an apparently flat facet !
re:30 years ago there was a company that used cylindrical laps for automatic cutting of synthetic sapphires; this counter-acted the tendency to produce convex facets when cutting fast and thus produced an apparently flat facet !

Bruce,

There were not such laps for diamond cutting 30 years ago(even 10 years ago and may be even 5 years ago) . Its came just in last years( special ceramic ). It will change a lot in diamond processing in next few years. accuracy and flatness will much higher (specially for fancy cuts) .
Hi Serg...

Are you saying Diamond cutters will be able to cut a Diamond "en Cabochon"?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 7:25:05 AM

Date: 11/6/2008 5:43:19 AM

I might also add that both surface roughness and concavity issues make Ray tracing impossible to use for optimization purposes because the reflected ray is not in the ''known'' plane of incidence.
I believe it would!

It is virtually impossible to produce a concave facet with a typical flat lap. Convexity probable exists on all facets made with ''flat'' lap, even if it is perfectly flat. because of buildup of polish and swarf ahead of the stone and/or elasic deformation of the lap forming a ''wave'' ahead of stone pressure area (no matter how rigid, all materials have some elasticity). Such flatness errors are generally too small to measure.
I worked for a company that made honing and lapping equipment; we dealt with quantities not normally realized by custoners. When they wanted ''flat'', we asked ''how flat'', When they wanted ''smooth'' we asked ''how smooth'' (all metals appear black at 1/10 microinch finish, require Newtoniam light rays to measure).

Bruce,

Hi Serg...

Are you saying Diamond cutters will be able to cut a Diamond ''en Cabochon''?
Diagem,

No. for Cabochon you need polish Convex facets. I do not know such technology for diamonds
I and Bruce are speaking about cylindrical Concave facets

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 9:14:58 AM

Diagem,

No. for Cabochon you need polish Convex facets. I do not know such technology for diamonds
I and Bruce are speaking about cylindrical Concave facets
Ooops..., I know..., I cant stop getting confused on these two for some reason...
17.gif

Such technology would be very interesting..., if its even do-able/possible...

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/5/2008 5:40:34 PM

Date: 11/5/2008 5:09:11 PM

Date: 11/5/2008 5:05:18 PM

Date: 11/5/2008 4:12:32 PM

re:Sergey Do we see concave or convex facets, in general?

Convex , of course

So..., that must somehow affect appearance..., no?

Diagem,

I can not understand questions in last your posts

Why Serg...

I am trying to follow you guy''s on the ''perfect symmetry'' type RB''s

You guys are discussing (for days) RB''s all the way down to the nano-differences of a 1/10th. (or even less) of a facet degree!
Rounding of GIA #''s is considered lesser than AGS''s non rounding system...
Polish surface must be almost absolute..., while it actually cant be absolute...
Using tools for light behaviour measurements..., while understanding that errors exist if measured on convex facets which usually appear on the Diamonds...

Etc..., etc...

There are soooo many factors (in a Diamond) that cant be judged or accurately measured by any scan/machine (as of yet, I believe)...

So are those ''Super Ideals'' grading reports actually official enough for what they are??? Or are they all based on some type of ranges that could actually mean not ''Ideal'' at all?

Diagem,

re :So are those ''Super Ideals'' grading reports actually official enough for what they are??? Or are they all based on some type of ranges that could actually mean not ''Ideal'' at all?

Same for color grade

Market needs grade from table. But Labs have not technology for such grade.
Similar problem, same reason.
Labs do what they can( so far from what market needs)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 11:50:09 AM

Why Serg...

I am trying to follow you guy''s on the ''perfect symmetry'' type RB''s

You guys are discussing (for days) RB''s all the way down to the nano-differences of a 1/10th. (or even less) of a facet degree!
Rounding of GIA #''s is considered lesser than AGS''s non rounding system...
Polish surface must be almost absolute..., while it actually cant be absolute...
Using tools for light behaviour measurements..., while understanding that errors exist if measured on convex facets which usually appear on the Diamonds...

Etc..., etc...

There are soooo many factors (in a Diamond) that cant be judged or accurately measured by any scan/machine (as of yet, I believe)...

So are those ''Super Ideals'' grading reports actually official enough for what they are??? Or are they all based on some type of ranges that could actually mean not ''Ideal'' at all?

Diagem,

re :So are those ''Super Ideals'' grading reports actually official enough for what they are??? Or are they all based on some type of ranges that could actually mean not ''Ideal'' at all?

Same for color grade

Exactly my point..., so is AGS''s new Gold/Platinum difference grades what "market needs"?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 1:45:11 PM

Date: 11/6/2008 11:50:09 AM

Why Serg...

I am trying to follow you guy's on the 'perfect symmetry' type RB's

You guys are discussing (for days) RB's all the way down to the nano-differences of a 1/10th. (or even less) of a facet degree!
Rounding of GIA #'s is considered lesser than AGS's non rounding system...

Etc..., etc...

So are those 'Super Ideals' grading reports actually official enough for what they are??? Or are they all based on some type of ranges that could actually mean not 'Ideal' at all?

Diagem,

re :So are those 'Super Ideals' grading reports actually official enough for what they are??? Or are they all based on some type of ranges that could actually mean not 'Ideal' at all?

Same for color grade

Exactly my point..., so is AGS's new Gold/Platinum difference grades what 'market needs'?

Re: Exactly my point..., so is AGS's new Gold/Platinum difference grades what "market needs"?

Do you mean more softer grade for polish and symmetry?

May be. From one side polish rules for Top ASG Platinum grade is very strict for current consumer education

Rarity is not good enough promotion for Top polish grade
Consumers and retailers have not any idea why Polish quality is important.

ASG did not give any explanation and consumer education in this field

Moreover ASG does not grade flatness what is very important part polish quality.
Without such grade, strict rules for smoothness are not reasonable.

Current grade can not separate Great diamonds form just well done.

So more soft polish grade is reasonable for ASG Business .

From other side GIA satisfies such “market” requirements for Top grades.( for proportion cut grade system)
Other Labs do it for other grades.
I do not see big market niche here for ASG. May be I am wrong.
We will see results a soon ( 2 years)

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGS 0 grade was grade “not for all”( “not for all diamonds”, “not for all consumers”)
It was Elite grade, something different.
Hi-Tech, exclusivity ( based on rarity) are important parts AGSL brand, ASGL consumer and retail culture . AGS0 community was very proud, they have best( most strict and “scientific proof” or at list Hi-Tech) grade

It was core ASG brand
AGS Gold system does not support all these important parts ASG0 brand.

Brand cannot be based on Rarity and Has big market niche in same time. Or rarity ( and exclusivity based on Rarity) or big market niche or ASG needs find other supporting technology for Exclusivity( based on originality, what can give bigger market niche than Rarity and save exclusivity )

Seems what ASG Gold is result of different compromises . May be ASG gold is good compromise , but may be these compromises destroy ASG originality.

5 years ago it could be perfect decision. Now it could be mistake . Interesting see results in few years ( ASG market share after this step) . It could give a lot information about market demands

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 2:38:59 PM

AGS 0 grade was grade “not for all”( “not for all diamonds”, “not for all consumers”)
Hi-Tech, exclusivity ( based on rarity) are important parts AGSL brand, ASGL consumer and retail culture . AGS0 community was very proud, they have best( most strict and “scientific proof” or at list Hi-Tech) grade

It was core ASG brand

Brand cannot be based on Rarity and Has big market niche in same time. Or rarity ( and exclusivity based on Rarity) or big market niche or ASG needs find other supporting technology for Exclusivity( based on originality, what can give bigger market niche than Rarity and save exclusivity )

Seems what ASG Gold is result of different compromises . May be ASG gold is good compromise , but may be these compromises destroy ASG originality.

5 years ago it could be perfect decision. Now it could be mistake . Interesting see results in few years ( ASG market share after this step) . It could give a lot information about market demands
You are funny..., back 9 pages (on page 1)..., I wrote (a few times) that it looked and sounded to me like some kind of compromise
1.gif

You asked me what compromise??? Remember?

I agree and think this move is years late..., and could ultimately hurt AGS''s ""strict"" reputation...

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 3:26:36 PM

Date: 11/6/2008 2:38:59 PM

It was core ASG brand

You are funny..., back 9 pages (on page 1)..., I wrote (a few times) that it looked and sounded to me like some kind of compromise
1.gif

You asked me what compromise??? Remember?

I agree and think this move is years late..., and could ultimately hurt AGS''s ''''strict'''' reputation...
Diagem,
It could be funny, but I still have same question for you.
what kind compormise(S) do YOU see??
I am not sure I see all compromises in ASG Gold.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 4:12:08 PM

Diagem,
It could be funny, but I still have same question for you.
what kind compormise(S) do YOU see??
I am not sure I see all compromises in ASG Gold.
Serg..., remember..., I see thinks pretty in a simplistic fashion....
Quoted from page 1:

"Date: 10/11/2008 1:40:20 AM

Diagem,

Compromise? What compormise? Between what do you see compromise?"

"Date: 10/11/2008 8:15:03 AM

Am I wrong by thinking that a larger range could ultimately become "Ideal"??

Antique Diamond-Gem."

Serge..., am I wrong??

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diagem,
where do you larger range? ( except polish and symmetry)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 4:32:40 PM
Diagem,
I ask again..., am I correct assuming a larger/wider range of RB''s are in a position to achieve the top AGS grade vs. the previous AGS limits?

If its not true..., than I understood wrongly....

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 4:40:28 PM

Diagem,
I ask again..., am I correct assuming a larger/wider range of RB''s are in a position to achieve the top AGS grade vs. the previous AGS limits?

Do you mean proportions?

I see less possibility for Yield in ASG Gold Ideal than in AGS0

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 4:47:45 PM

Diagem,

Do you mean proportions?

33.gif
33.gif

Why? Doesnt make sense to me?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 4:54:31 PM

Diagem,

Do you mean proportions?

33.gif
33.gif

Do you ask me or AGS? Did you study my comparison chart?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

talking about 2 different things....
a much larger percentage of production will get gold than dqd ideal.

technically pgs has a wider range of proportions because if it gets the score it gets the grade.
But gold includes combos that will not get pgs ideal light performance.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 5:09:01 PM
Author: strmrdr

talking about 2 different things....
a much larger percentage of production will get gold than dqd ideal.

technically pgs has a wider range of proportions because if it gets the score it gets the grade.
But gold includes combos that will not get pgs ideal light performance.

Karl,

re:technically pgs has a wider range of proportions because if it gets the score it gets the grade.

Are you sure? Do you speak about crown and Pavilion angles just?

re:a much larger percentage of production will get gold than dqd ideal.
?? What??

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 5:06:43 PM

Diagem,

Do you mean proportions?

33.gif
33.gif

I did and just went again to it...

Between the Id1-Id0-EX0-VG0..., I cant help it but understand there are more possibilities for either Ideal and/or 0...

Sergey..., am I not understanding it?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 5:15:41 PM
:technically pgs has a wider range of proportions

Are you sure?
yes... because there have been some weird combos that have got zero...gold is less selective is what is wrong with it! It is a shotgun compared to a rifle bullet
Do you speak about crown and Pavilion angles just?
no
re:a much larger percentage of production will get gold than dqd ideal.

?? What??
sym/polish guarantees a much wider % of production gets gold ideal as does rounding and averaging

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 5:38:10 PM

Diagem,

Do you mean proportions?

33.gif
33.gif

Between the Id1-Id0-EX0-VG0..., I cant help it but understand there are more possibilities for either Ideal and/or 0...

please compare Ideal( Id) (This zone has purple color)
and AGS 0 zones( Black heavy line)
Which is Zone bigger?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 5:55:43 PM

Date: 11/6/2008 5:38:10 PM

Diagem,

Do you mean proportions?

33.gif
33.gif

please compare Ideal( Id) (This zone has purple color)
and AGS 0 zones( Black heavy line)
Which is Zone bigger?
Which is top AGS grade?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
re:Which is top AGS grade?

0 is Top grade old AGS ( ASG Platinum)
Id=Ideal is Top grade new ASG ( ASG Gold)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 6:05:56 PM

So the Id1''s are the ones welcomed into the AGS Ideal family?

beryl

Shiny_Rock

Sergey:
What is ''ASG''. Do you mean ''AGS'' or something different?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2008 9:52:56 PM

Sergey:
Bruce,
Sorry for misprint

0 is Top grade old AGS ( AGS Platinum)
Id=Ideal is Top grade new AGS ( AGS Gold)

Diagem,

re:So the Id1''s are the ones welcomed into the AGS Ideal family?

Yes. Each cell has grade from AGS Gold and AGS Platinum

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/7/2008 3:02:41 AM

Sergey:
Bruce,
Sorry for misprint

0 is Top grade old AGS ( AGS Platinum)
Id=Ideal is Top grade new AGS ( AGS Gold)

Diagem,

re:So the Id1''s are the ones welcomed into the AGS Ideal family?

Yes. Each cell has grade from AGS Gold and AGS Platinum
I notice a green light for slightly shallower pav. angles??

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/7/2008 4:07:47 AM
I notice a green light for slightly shallower pav. angles??
My long held theory is that slightly shallow accomodates symmetry deviatind=s better than slight deep. and shalow is less affected by omnipresent grease on pavilions

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sergey:
Bruce,

Could you please calculate and publish here The correlation between Zones "0" and "Id" on chart had been published by me?
I received 56%-58% level of correlation.
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results