shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS Ideal Cut vs. AGS 0 Ideal cut?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In this instance, based off computer generated ASETs, gimme the AGS1 stone over the steep/deep AGS0.

If the vendors have real life vids, photos and scope images (particularly real life ASET), I think we’d all like to see them before making a final recommendation on these two stones.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But it is far more complicated for cutters to cut to the margins of AGS0 and try to 'game the system' because the ray tracer will pick up any faults in the 3D model and penalize them. While you see tons of steep deeps in GIA EX, stones like the 1.701 AGS 0 are rare. I would agree with the characterization that this is a bit of a 'lucky' Ideal.
I agree with this stone got really lucky. I agree that a stone like the 1.701 I SI1 is not common. But I would not say it is rare from consumer's perspective.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...score-ags-ideal-for-light-performance.217331/
When I was shopping three years ago, JA offered alot of non True Hearts AGS 0. Some of them were like this. I agree that it is too dangerous for cutters to play this game with AGS. But at the same time, I still think AGS 3D ray tracing is too lenient with deep cuts. That's why some PSers still use the AGS proportion chart.
ags_19.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with this stone got really lucky. I agree that a stone like the 1.701 I SI1 is not common. But I would not say it is rare from consumer's perspective.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...score-ags-ideal-for-light-performance.217331/
When I was shopping three years ago, JA offered alot of non True Hearts AGS 0. Some of them were like this. I agree that it is too dangerous for cutters to play this game with AGS. But at the same time, I still think AGS 3D ray tracing is too lenient with deep cuts. That's why some PSers still use the AGS proportion chart.
ags_19.jpg
You're probably right. With a bigger sample size (AGS graded diamonds are a fraction of GIA in the market) we would probably see a lot more AGS outliers. I would still have a much higher degree of confidence in their performance (vs GIA EX) due to the fact they have been put through the rigors of the ray tracer.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
But at the same time, I still think AGS 3D ray tracing is too lenient with deep cuts. That's why some PSers still use the AGS proportion chart.
If anything the PS historical group teaching is a little harsh on minor leakage, its not a train wreck in 2 eye viewing as many think in some cases.

That said many cutters run everything they produce through the gia and ags grade prediction software when they do a scan.
If it gets ags0 based on their scans then they consider sending it to ags.
The downside for them is that it does not always get it because of scanner differences.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anything the PS historical group teaching is a little harsh on minor leakage, its not a train wreck in 2 eye viewing as many think in some cases.
I agree. Some overly react to minor leakage; I was one of them. I blame 1/3 to consumers who mis-interpret ASET images, 1/3 to vendors who take poor and inconsistent ASET images, and 1/3 to diamond photography being such PITA to perfect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results