shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS Grading versus Appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
I recently got the report back from the appraiser on the soon-to-be diamond. I was happy to hear that he agreed with the vendor who sold me the stone that the SI1 grade assigned by AGS was a extremely harsh. He told me he and another appraiser in the firm (the toughest one) both thought it was a VS2.

BUT, the actual appraisal that I got back still says that it''s an SI1, along with the text "After reviewing the unset diamond and the AGS report, this appraiser is in agreement with the AGS gradings."

I''m personally happy with the stone as-is. The appraiser was great to work with and knowledgable -- and I''m unconcerned with the actual grade, only that it''s eye-clean. I wonder, however, what is better for me from an insurance perspective....do I want some sort of documentation that it''s clarity may be better than SI1, or is that just going to cost me more money in the long run? The stone already appraised for about 60 percent higher than my purchase price. That should cover any discrepancy, right?

Do I need to ask the appraiser to re-consider his rating? Would he even do that???

I''d appreciate any thoughts...

Attached is the plot, for what it''s worth...

Cropped_AGS.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Why would you want to bother? The only thing you care about in the appraisal is that you'll be able to replace your diamond with the same quality as that which you have in the event of a loss. Anything more than that will just raise your premium needlessly.

You've already pointed out that it appraises nearly 60% more than what you paid for it. I'm sure that's enough to replace it.

Stop worrying, and enjoy your lovely new stone!

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/27/2003 3:40
6.gif
6 PM aljdewey wrote:

Stop worrying, and enjoy your lovely new stone!
----------------

I guess I'm just a worrier by nature! Not to mention truly naieve when it comes to insurance. I wasn't sure if I'd just get stuck replacing my super-ideal SI1 that is practically a VS2 -- which I worked so hard to find -- with some run-of-the-mill SI1 that looks like a piece of junk.

But I will stop worrying about it and start worrying about my more pressing need...picking out the setting.

Thanks aljdewey!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I wasn't sure if I'd just get stuck replacing my super-ideal SI1 that
is practically a VS2 -- which I worked so hard to find -- with some
run-of-the-mill SI1 that looks like a piece of junk.
-----------

That's the purpose for getting professional documentation (which you have done) that describes every aspect of the stone.

With the double documentation that you have (AGS report and appraisal), the insurance company is duty bound to replace your diamond with one of equal quality or better, or cash you out.

With the AGS plotting diagram you have, it is evident that the diamond you insured is a very clean SI1. You could use the plotting diagram as a tool to reject any replacement stones which didn't reach that standard. You would just show them the difference between the plotting diagram of your stone versus the plotting diagram of the stone they're trying to replace it with, and tell them you're not happy with it.

Most insurance companies will try to make you happy if you have supporting documentation. I've seen many companies replace a lost diamond with one of even better quality. Sometimes that's because they couldn't find the exact quality of the one lost, and sometimes it was because they were just trying to make the customer happy.

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Rich! You are a veritable oracle of information!

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Just go w/ the VS2 for the insurance - by the way not a bad plot at all! where did you buy it from - with that type of jump 60% and VS2 over SI1 - maybe I can do as well for what I want
2.gif

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
It's an A Cut Above H&A diamond from Whiteflash. Once I get it set, delivered, and in my hot little hands I'll post a full recap of my experiences (all very, very positive so far!).

gemexplorer

Rough_Rock
Richard,

You have given the man your best advice - Indeed, even with five or more gemologist the question of a VS2 and SI1 will continue to be subjective even one can or more can have an opinion about this "human" form of evaluation. That is why in my early days when we have started the LambdaSpec Instrument, we have made the attempt by stablizing with light, pressue in that set "chamber" along with the RGB color chart - We could have a totally scientific data on not only the color and were working on the chart and plot to read the clarity in different magnifications.

For as long as we are stalling in the "feasible" or viable technology, this kind of discrepencies will continue. The many gem reports still have too much of the human subjectivity involved.

But in this case, the cert and the appraisal will aid the buyer and to "force" the insurance company not to manipulated any of the clarity factors - As you have said, most often by not meeting the kind of SI as this fellow has - and for very little difference- they generally will replace that with an VS2 or better.

This is one way to make the insurance replacement service also to be compliant and that is a good thing.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
That is why in my early days when we have started
the LambdaSpec Instrument, we have made the attempt
by stablizing with light, pressue in that
set "chamber" along with the RGB color chart - We
could have a totally scientific data on not only the
color and were working on the chart and plot to read
the clarity in different magnifications.
-----------

This is interesting Paul. You worked in the development of the Lambdaspec? How did it work out in regards to gemstone color and clarity analysis? Is anybody still working on this application of the Lambdaspec?

-----------
>>>The LambdaSpec, a WDS system that acts like an EDS system. The LambdaSpec is available in two versions, the LEXS (Low Energy X-ray Spectrometer) and the TEXS (Transition Element X-ray Spectrometer), both versions may be fitted with up to five diffracting crystals. The spectrometer is controlled via a simple easy to use user interface that allows the user to control the system as they would an EDS system. The LEXS is optimized for low energy microanalysis and incorporates the unique parallel beam high collection optics (HCO). The HCO enables the LEXS to capture the highest count rates of any WDS system available, providing rapid X-ray analysis at the best resolutions obtainable. The LEXS is ideal for resolving such overlaps as Si Ka from W or Ta Ma and N Ka from Ti La. The TEXS employs capillary optics that allows the spectrometer to extend the range up to 10keV, allowing the system to resolve the a/b overlaps of the transition elements.<<<
-----------

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results