shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS grading system

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pelepup

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I bought a diamond on ebay that had an old appraisal using the AGS numbering system. I did a quick search and found that AGS has upgraded the numbering system to correspond better with GIA. So how is it different than their old system? This appraisal is from 1979 and states that the color of the diamond is AGS-4, clarity is AGS-4 and cut is AGS-3. How does that relate to the current GIA scheme? Thanks for any help.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
AGS equals GIA for color
0 D
0.5 E
1.0 F
1.5 G
2.0 H
2.5 I
3.0 J
3.5 K
4.0 L
4.5 M
5.0 N
5.5 O
etc. all the way to:
10 X,Y,Z

for clarity
0 FL/IF
1 VVS1
2 VVS2
3 VS1
4 VS2
5 SI1
6 SI2
7 I1
8 I2
9 I3

and you can go here for the cut:

http://www.diamondgrading.com/Articles_GIA_vs_AGS_CUT.htm

hope this helps.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
69..if that is a recent chart, sounds like the original poster is saying that AGS used to have a different 0-10 system, I wonder if the info you posted STILL corresponds or would be different from 1979 AGS grading?

Possibly a member of the trade could pipe up?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I think the clarity grading scale remained the same, as 69gm posted, while the color grading scale changed. A copy of the original scale is attached.

According to that, the stone was graded as an IJ color, VS2 clarity, with a good cut.

GIA vs AGS III.jpg

pelepup

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the info! I'm going to get an official appraisal next week, but was wondering what the old appraisal meant. The old appraisal was apparently done with the stone already set so I expect that it will be off when I get the appraisal done with the stone removed and loose.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
leave it to rich to save the day!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thats an interesting picture, Rich. Note how colors D-I/J shows on the left side as 'mounted stones will appear colorless'. I like the 'tinted white' vs colorless/near/light yellwo etc..very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results