shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS cut classes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dazednconfused

Rough_Rock
Are diamonds that fall in the AGS Class category of 2A-2B still considered "good" cuts? Are 3A and below undesirable? Finally, if the table falls in a 1A class and the depth in a 2B, do you use the lower class? Thanks for any insight. It''s tough to relate some dealers classification scheme to the AGS chart.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
What type of diamond cuts are you refering to?

Kirk Konst

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Dazednconfused, I believe you refer to AGA system.

dazednconfused

Rough_Rock
Yes, I meant the AGA chart for the Emerald & Radiant cuts. https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fnc2.asp

Are diamonds that fall in the AGA Class category of 2A-2B still considered "good" cuts? Are 3A and below undesirable? Finally, if the table falls in a 1A class and the depth in a 2B, do you use the lower class? Thanks for any insight. It's tough to relate some dealers classification scheme to the AGA chart.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I "translate" the AGA cut categories in the following manner when I'm explaining them to people:

1A: Excellent Make (Ideal)
1B: Very Good to Excellent Make (Premium)
2A: Very Good Make
2B: Good to Very Good Make
3A: Good Make
3B: Fair to Good Make
4A: Fair Make
4B: Poor Make

A 2A or 2B is considered a fine make, and would probably be a beautiful stone. A 3A or 3B is considered an average commercial make, and can often be beautiful stones. A 4A is considered "below average", but sometimes still pleasing to the eye. Sometimes not. A 4B tries it's best, but usually doesn't pull it off.

-----------
Finally, if the table falls in a 1A class and the depth in a 2B, do
you use the lower class?
-----------

The AGA cut grading rules stipulate the following for 1B grade:

-----------
1B grade:
All characteristics need to be all 1B or 1A to 2B. Only a single class 2 characteristic is permitted. The class 2 characteristic should be within 2% or 2 degrees of the 1B characteristic.
-----------

Without seeing it, and all other characteristics falling in the 1A or 1B category, I would estimate that the stone you're referring to would be categorized as a 1B.

dazednconfused

Rough_Rock
Thank you Rich. I appreciate the detailed explanation!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results