shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS Clarity Charts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JohnWild

Rough_Rock
On diamonds that have an AGS certification, I have seen lots of diamonds with VS2 clarity grade that show lots of inclusions and comments saying "additional clouds not shown", yet have seen SI1 clarity graded diamonds with less "marks" on the diagram of the diamond, and no additional comments at all.

Is this simply a case of one certification might have been more lenient than another, or is there something else that could make a diamond fall into an SI1 category that wouldn''t necessarily be noted in the comments section or the diagram of inclusions on an AGS Cert.

Just curious because I have been concentrating on VS2 clarity diamonds, but the answer to this question might make me look more closely at some that fall into the SI1 category.

Thanks!

John Wild

barry

Shiny_Rock
John;

You bring up a very good point. It is very
difficult to determine an inclusion(s)
exact location, color, size, and depth solely
from the plot. The difference between VS-2 and SI-1
can be a matter of an inclusion(s) size and location.
In this regard it is beneficial to go with either
a GIA or AGS report as they maintain a consistency
in clarity and color grading that is unequalled with the exception of HRD. No doubt the clarity/color grading by
these Labs carries an element and degree of subjectivity
as does any object of human behavior.
In the case of GIA, this is mitigated and controlled by having the submitted report of the Grader reviewed by
a second grader and in the case of borderline
color and/or clarity grades reviewed and evaluated
by a third (Supervisor). I'm sure AGS has similar
controls in place.

There is no question that there are SI-1 and SI-2's that
are visually eye-clean and better than VS-2's.
Again, it is a matter of size, color, and location of the inclusion(s). If you're shopping in a B&M, of
course compare several VS/SI clarities. if you're shopping
over the Internet, have your vendor eyeball and describe
the diamond to you as well as provide you with detailed digital photo's highlighting the inclusions.
Once you examine these photos and compare them to the GIA or AGS plots, you'll see why it is so difficult
to make a proper interpretation just off the plot alone.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

JohnWild

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your feedback Barry!

barry

Shiny_Rock
You're very welcome.

Best of Luck.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results