shape
carat
color
clarity

Ags certs vs. Gia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jay

Rough_Rock
WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE % DIFFERENCE IN PRICE
BETWEEN GIA AND AGS ALSO BETWEEN GIA CERTS.
AND OTHERS LIKE EGL,IGI

bacon

Rough_Rock
jay-There is no % to this. GIA and AGS reports are consistent and both labs use the same grading sytem (all the borders between the grades are in the same place).If you notice a price difference between GIA/AGS reports and other labs it is because GIA/AGS reports are dependable.The other labs have the borderlines between grades a little lower than the GIA grading system. That way many of EGL(or the other) lab reports give a higher grade to a diamond than GIA or AGS would.The difference in price between diamonds with reports from AGS/GIA and the other labs is simply because one is not comparing apples to apples.Does that help?JoeB

jay

Rough_Rock
SO WHAT YOU SAY IS THAT A 1.00 EVS1
AGS IS SELLING FOR THE SAME % OF THE RAPP
AS A GIA 1.00 EVS1
THE PRICES WHAT IS LISTED ON CERTNET/POLYGON
AGS ABOUT 15-20% HIGHER THAN GIA
JAY

bacon

Rough_Rock
jay-Are you in the industry? Where is your store? First the rap sheet is not a effective price guide. The range used by the rap sheet for acceptable cut is somewhat broader than other guides. This makes it less accurate than other guides. Each catagory has its own discount and it can change every week. Many rap users don't know that and therefore miscalculate thier values.Rapaport sells diamonds not only to the trade but also to the public and so his price list can not be considered unbiased. Anyway, the GIA certs have less info to compare apples to apples.Are the cut grades of the 2 diamonds exactly the same? What kind of strain or stress is in the crystals? If everything is exactly the same then apparently the market has put a premium on AGS reports. I was not aware of this nor can I explain it.

igs

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello, this is Martin Sheffield from USA CERTED DIAMONDS. Concerning the price differences between GIA and AGS certed diamonds, I have noticed that there is an approx. 10% price differential between AGS000 (triple zero) diamonds and GIA ideal cut and very near ideal or premium cut diamonds. Both AGS and GIA are extremely dependable labs. A diamond of identical quality graded by GIA may be priced 10% higher than one graded by EGL. AGS certificates are the most detailed and are extremely reliable. Should you have any further questions please email me at: [email protected] Thanks.

bacon

Rough_Rock
Martin-Thanks, i didn't know that. I know you sell many more than I do! Are you jay?I have heard you have happy customers on diamontalk!Joeb

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jay- Welcome to the forumHi Martin.. Good to see you here too...Jay are you in the business?I am wondering the reason for your question, if you are.rockdoc

yeewl

Shiny_Rock
Hi, just wanted to find out...
between 0.82 Evs2 GIA and 0.82 Evs2 HRD, which cert would you choose when buying a stone? Is HRD just as good or even better as GIA strict grading rather than EGL or IGI soft grading(color and clarity)? Is it true that only GIA and IGI will lazar inscript the number on the girdle? What are the chances if the sales staff may 'accidently' switch the stone by mistake(if it is already set as a pendent)?
thanks

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
HRD is generally stricter than GI on D-E-F-G colors, so I wouldn't be surprised if a HRD E/VS 2 got D/VS 2 at GIA.
In my opinion they are VERY comparable. To say the truth, I prefer HRD.
BTW, IGI isn't that lax. I just got the results of a few stones from IGI Antwerp and they've been somewhat strict. What a nice surprise.
1.gif

No, every lab will laser inscribe a diamond on girdle.
Switching isn't that common, but I suggest you to take the stone to an appraiser.

yeewl

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the advice. Someone was trying to sell a 1carat ring with HRD dossier for her friend ( bought early last year and had to sell it cheap because of finanical difficulties). I was inspecting the stone but wasn't able to find the lazar number on the girdle. Also, the table was too big for my liking... 62% and Depth is 63% but the symmetry and polish was stated as very good..
She mentioned to me HRD doesnt lazar print the number on the girdle. I often think twice to buy 2nd hand from someone if there's no number inscript to match with the cert.
I also come across a few loose stones graded by HRD recently, took a closer look but don't seems to recall seeing any lazer print on the girdle. That's why I have this impression that only GIA and IGI does such things.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I see, but I'm 100% sure that HRD laser inscribes stones upon reques. These inscriptions are very very small and you need to check them at 20-40x for a clearer vision.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
With HRD, you can trust for the color and the clarity!
But don't trust when the HRD gives a "very good" grade for the proportions, their "very good" should be call "acceptable"...
2.gif

yeewl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info. I went to look at some vendors that carries HRD... most of them have table 62 to 65% while the depth is either 59% or 65%... yet their comments are very good in polish and symmetry...hard to see one that is 58-59% (table) and 61% (depth) come by..
also the reason I ask about the lazar inscription because a vendor actually switch the stone while selling me a princess cut pendent (GIA cert). When I confronted them only 1/2 hr later (I always carry a 14X loupe) and show them the serial number doesnt' match the cert.. they thought I was joking. Took me a couple of weeks to straighten things out with the management together with a complaint letter.
I also noticed the vendors here do not request the lazar inscription on HRD stones when they sell them. After this nasty experience, I always quite worried to buy HRD stones.
So, does it means if they(vendors) request for lazar inscription on HRD stones to match the cert will have to pay more?
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results