shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS-certified SI1 diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Hello all

Is it true that all AGS-certified SI1 diamonds are, by definition, eye-clean? I''m looking to purchase a 0.40ct diamond of a branded H&A cut. Should I request for magnified photos, or can I just assume it''s eye-clean?

Thanks!

FlowerP
wavey.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
AGS does not certify diamonds. They grade them and issue a report. The grading has to do with the ease with which inclusions can be located using a 10x loupe. I don't know offhand the description for how easy the inclusions are to find for an SI, but being graded an SI1 it does not mean that it will be eye clean.

Many refer to eye clean as a novice would view from a normal (not right up close) distance. It may be that once you know where the inclusions are you may well be able to pick them out with the naked eye. You need a good set of eyes at the other end of the 'net helping you pick out an SI stone.

I'd suggest using one of the vendors that contribute here at RT.

R/A

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good Morning FlowerP,

R/A is getting technical. No, AGS, GIA, EGL, none of the labs certify diamonds. They issue Diamond Grading Reports.
Everybody in the diamond business uses the term certify, I think, because everybody else does it.

An SI1 diamond is SUPPOSED to be eye clean, but many of them are not. A diamond grader is supposed to find the inclusion and then look at it with his or her eye to see if the inclusion is eye visible. If it is, SI2 or lower.
Things have changed since I worked in the lab at GIA. Maybe they are suffering from eye strain.

A branded diamond like "A Cut Above" my have only eye clean SI1 diamonds in their stock but you can't count on "all certified" diaimonds being eye clean.

I like to give diamonds the eye ball test as a last test.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 3/12/2003 8:30
6.gif
7 AM dimonbob wrote:

Good Morning FlowerP,

R/A is getting technical. No, AGS, GIA, EGL, none of the labs certify diamonds. They issue Diamond Grading Reports.

It is true that I am getting technical, but consumers (if they are like me) tend to believe that the AGS is adding some sort of "stamp of approval" because AGS has selected and certified the diamond. Fact is, they just grade what is sent to them. It is true that if AGS or GIA says it is an SI1 then it really is an SI1 and not some Rank Amateur's opinion! I guess that is sort of a "certification".

Another thing I didn't understand at first is that they report what is written on the girdle without comment. If you inscribe "Perfect H&A" on the girdle it shows up as "Perfect H&A inscribed on the girdle" in the Comments section. Even if it is not an H&A at all! I always found that a bit odd. Sounds like flowerpower needs to give dimonbob a call.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results