shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS cert vs. Independent Appraisor

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
If the AGC cert is an I, and a Independent Apprasor say it is a J, whom do you believe?

JC

Shiny_Rock
It's hard to dispute GIA or AGS. I would get a second opinion. In my experience I have found GIA and AGS to be dead accurate grading labratories. Good luck!

wavey.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The odds are that the laboratory has access to more diamonds for color grading purposes than an independent appraiser... In addition, the AGS has access to one of Marty Haske's SAS2000 spectophotometers for color grading purposes although we are not positive that they are using it for that purpose at this point in time. That said, the difference between "I" and "J" is close enough to be a judgement call so we wouldn't panic either way. Insure the diamond based on the better grade as determined by the actual gemological laboratory so that in the event of loss and replacement you are more apt to get back what you purchased originally. FYI: from a legal perspective, and yes, we think it's a bit absurd, the color or clarity grade of a diamond has to be within three (3) grades of the grade assigned to the diamond! If that's not a brain twister, we don't know what is...

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
It was my impression that the insurance co uses the ind. appraissors report not the AGS report, are you saying I can show my insurance co the AGS report for insurance, however, it seems that my agents office is using the ind appr report for the replacement value.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results