shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS cert- how determine cut quality? and if eye clean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hortonk

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I''m looking at a radiant stone with an AGS (American Gem Society Laboratories) cert. How do I determine cut quality and if eye clean from the cert? I''ve heard that some stones are rated AGS 0 for the top cut quality- where would it say this? Any comments/suggestions? Will the fluorescence look weird/cloudy in inside or outside light?Also, I noticed that some radiants look like a round brilliant in the center and some like a princess in the center.. is that indicated on the cert as all? I haven''t seen the stone since it is an internet dealer. What other reports should i ask for? any questions i should ask? Thanks!
This is what it says on the cert:
Nov 22, 2005
AGS 000 and then 7 numbers
CC Rectangle Brilliant Cut
weight: 4.080 ct
measurements: 9.61x8.43x6.28 mm
depth: 74.5%
table: 80.8%
girdle: thin to medium
culet: pointed
polish: excellent
symmetry: excellent
color: ags 2.0 (h)
clarity: ags 6 (si2)
fluorescence: medium blue

Thanks!

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/19/2006 7:23:23 PM
Author:hortonk
Hi,

I''m looking at a radiant stone with an AGS (American Gem Society Laboratories) cert. How do I determine cut quality and if eye clean from the cert? AGS does not (yet) grade radiants for cut quality. If they did, this stone would not receive an overall cut grade higher than AGS-1 due the "Excellent" rather than "Ideal" Polish & Symmetry. That said, it must have pretty nice Polish & Symmetry for the AGS to be assigning that grade. As for the "eye cleanness factor" it would be nearly impossible to make a determination based on the plot on the AGS report. The better thing to do is contact the seller and simply ask their honest opinion. I''ve heard that some stones are rated AGS 0 for the top cut quality- where would it say this? Any comments/suggestions? The table is more than a bit on the large side. Will the fluorescence look weird/cloudy in inside or outside light? Medium fluorescence shouldn''t pose a problem, but again that''s a question to ask your seller. In most cases, medium blue fluoro will enhance the apparent colorlessness of the stone when certain amounts of UV energy are present in whatever light you''re viewing it in. Also, I noticed that some radiants look like a round brilliant in the center and some like a princess in the center.. is that indicated on the cert as all? The easiest way to get to the bottom of this is to ask your seller for a photo of the stone. I haven''t seen the stone since it is an internet dealer. What other reports should i ask for? any questions i should ask? If you can''t arrange for a pre-purchase inspection, make sure your seller has an easy return policy. Thanks!

This is what it says on the cert:

Nov 22, 2005

AGS 000 and then 7 numbers

CC Rectangle Brilliant Cut

weight: 4.080 ct

measurements: 9.61x8.43x6.28 mm

depth: 74.5%

table: 80.8%

girdle: thin to medium

culet: pointed

polish: excellent

symmetry: excellent

color: ags 2.0 (h)

clarity: ags 6 (si2)

fluorescence: medium blue

Thanks!

Best of luck!

Bill Scherlag

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry that I know nothing about the certs for radiants, but the only way you can tell if it is eye-clean is to have the vendor look at it for you. I would be personally hesitant to try SI2 in a 4 ct. stone, but only you can decide if you''d be comfortable with it. Are the inclusions plotted on the cert?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/19/2006 7:23:23 PM
Author:hortonk

How do I determine cut quality and if eye clean from the cert?
Hortonk,

You don’t.

This is like asking how to determine the performance of a car from a photograph.

‘Eye clean’ is not one of the attributes that makes up clarity. In a 4 carat stones, SI2 is probably going to have eye visible features if you know what to look for although it will probably require a little hunting to find them.

The reason that the labs don’t assign a cut grade to radiants is because they are significantly more complex optically than rounds. I would never suggest you embark on buying a stone of that budget sight unseen and without professional assistance. Go see it, get it appraised in person with an appraiser who has a controlled environment and a trained eye, or both. Buying blind off of the AGS report may result in a lovely stone but whether it’s the right stone for you is a total crap shoot.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results